What's for Lunch 2017

Beautiful … I’m sure they taste an good as they look

1 Like

Thanks. We like it so much that there’s more coming in the coming days.

1 Like

Easy lunch, this one. I just warmed up leftover thick soya sauce with chicken from the other day and added lots of chard, mung bean noodles and more Sichuan chillies in oil.

Turkish eggs and yogurt. Apparently a current trend in London according to Sainsbury’s food mag.

Overhead view because the paprika-butter-olive oil sauce thing is lovely.

Panna cotta with pulverised Turkish pistachio.

With rosemary salt and pistachio.

The idea comes from @chowdom.

Perfect for a hot day again.

Baked figs and sabayon. There’s also Grand Marnier in the custard.

I used green figs as they keep their shape better when cooked.

3 Likes

Gorgeous… were you happy with the result

Yes! Next time I shall use goat’s milk (together with the cheese) instead of cream.

1 Like

Visually stunning … great job with the plating.
And you are right … perfect hot weather eating :slight_smile: enjoy!

1 Like

BLTs with sriracha lime mayo and arugula.

3 Likes

“Potato cheese”. Found in both Germany and Austria. Mashed potatoes with cream and herbs.

Liptauer is a cheese spread with paprika. Named after Liptov in Slovakia. Popular in Austria and countries in the former Austro-Hungary empire.

Paprika I brought back from Budapest.

Austrian “pancakes”. The batter is different and the pancakes are fluffy without any baking powder (with beaten egg whites instead). I also added a slug of Grand Marnier to the batter. Always some kind of fruit compote alongside these torn pancakes.

Cherry compote.

Called “farmer’s breakfast” in Germany, something else in Austria. Austrian hash to the rest of us.

Crisp-fried potatoes with Speck and egg. Some of the simplest things bring the greatest joy.

Butter from the sea. That is new catch herring.

Two of my top favourite spring elixirs in 1 photo.

4 Likes

Lots of snacky foods for lunch. Veggies, goat cheese, Mt. Tank & Mav triple cream cheese, salami, avocado, sourdough baguette, roasted cherry tomatoes, and some artichoke jalapeño dip. Such a nice day for chilling out on the patio.

5 Likes

Yes, I’m still eating asparagus. Egg in the middle has 2 yolks. Got 6 double-yolk eggs and 6 normal, got them mixed up and forgot which was which when I cooked them.

A salad with a double-yolk egg.

A cup of jewels.

A full plate of them.

5 Likes

What a beautiful salad…! And if i had such fantastic asparagus available i would most certainly keep eating it too…

1 Like

SV chanterelles and king trumpets with some butter and garlic. I like the texture of SV mushrooms. Sourdough buckwheat from the Windmill bakery in the countryside is delicious. I’m so lucky to have a bakery 15mins away (by bicycle). Their breads are all sourdough and that’s the kind of bread I only eat.

Another one with fried cured bacon slices. Equally good.

My last steamed asparagus on Sunday.

Topped with little Schitzel.

4 Likes

Missed our usual Saturday market, but that just means a trip to the Sunday FM and they have great empanadas. I had a baked chicken and a backed spinach (pictured) and DH had the fried ham and cheese.

Lunch was simple
Seafood cataplana dish made in my Cataplana , sofritto consisted of diced carrots, celery, onions, garlic tomatoes sauteed in EVOO, a pound of browned andouille sausage, casing removed, a bag of little neck clams from Wegman’s, shrimp and some squid flowers. This was cooked in white wine, ( pinot grigio), chipotle pepper with adobo sauce, smoked paprika, a pinch of saffron , pepper, bay leaf. Served with lemon and store bought ( Nick’s Italian Deli ) garlic rosemary focaccia.
I added the sofritto after it was precooked in my wok, then layered it with squid, shrimp and clams so the picture does not show the squid and the sofritto which were at the bottom of the cataplana.

Cooking time was 10 min once assembled in the cataplana in medium setting.

4 Likes

Soft scrambled eggs (I hate it when someone makes it too cooked through). Prawns cooked with Sichuan chili oil as a seasoning/flavouring.

Austrian quark torn pancakes. Same as the other Austrian torn pancakes I have made not long ago but this one has quark in the batter. This thing is always a hit with us. Does anyone hate pancakes? Not sure about that.

The simple apricot compote I made went perfectly with these.

Partner gladly helped me finish 1/3 of the plate.

3 Likes

Chicken livers from a chicken I cleaned and cut up today for tonight’s dinner. Paired with some charred onions from last night’s dinner and finished in Armagnac.

d

4 Likes

(Semi) high-end places serve this as starter on a giant plate and we make it at home for a fraction!

1 Like

Typical Polish food at a cheap and cheerful restaurant.

Poles love their cabbage every which way like most eastern Europeans.

Rice, groat and mince filling.

A plate of mixed pierogi, times 2.

Washed down with this: a drink of strawberries, water and some sugar. They have no beer. Quite impossible in Poland.

My 8 euro lunch. (Whilst dinner costed 100!)

Restaurant is out of the way far from the tourist track but not far from my lodging. Handwritten menu on the wall.

5 Likes

No desire to cook especially since I am now alone again. Took my son to airport for trip to Amsterdam Wednesday again, so had lunch in DC at outdoor Cafe , Cuban and Mexican food.

Busy in the garden, so have just been warming up left over food, canned soup, cheese sandwiches.
Decided to cook Ma Po Tofu for lunch using different spices as I kept on thinking it is still not spicy enough. Onion, ginger, scallions, different spices and towards the end, thickened with sweet potato starch, a splash of sesame oil, toasted schechuan peppercorn and corrected seasoning with fish sauce.

5 Likes

Yesterday lunch. Krakow style herring. Salty herring soaked in a lot of (sour) cream and sliced onions.

Mixed dumplings.

Potato pancakes.

Country food, big city price.

Restaurant interior.

Wooden tables.

Sourdough bread to be carved once you have ordered your meal.

It was a sunday and we missed the lunch crowd, fortunately.

6 Likes