What's for Lunch 2017

Lunch with my partner at a great Israeli place. We shared the chicken schawarma plate (with some of all the salads, and veggie sides. There was pita and falafel not pictured. The amount of food on a plate is crazy so sharing is the best plan.

4 Likes

@paprikaboy, it will be so hard to go back to the grind. Stop thinking about cheese and wine til then. But no problem obtaining those 2 things in Singapore I’m certain (you are so near whilst in Malacca).

@aussieshepsx2, huge plate, looks delicious to me. The presentation is different here.

I’m behind on uploading pics so I’m going to split them up. This is the first part, more to be posted tomorrow/next time.

Beetroot Skrei

With avocado

The plate

3 Likes

That looks like an intense pile of spicy stuff on your hummus! I swear i could eat israeli food every day… i love everything from the pitas to the little pickled veggies. Thankfully there are some great spots to find it in nyc. That does look a wonderfully generous portion they give you!

1 Like

Taking you to north of Germany…

Bismarck herring in yoghurt sauce, also with some apple and beetroot. Supposed to to cream but I have yoghurt.

Can be eaten with boiled or Speck-fried potatoes.

Labskaus is a very typical luch dish. All port cities in northern Europe and the Baltics have their own versions of it. This is my version/presentation using the same ingredients.

I used up eggs for hard boiled and forgot to pick up new ones. Basically this thing is mashed potatoes, beetroot water and corned beef. I fried up some other meat and added that to the mash.

Bismarck herrings

This herring sandwich is popular throughout Germany, all the way to the south.

1 Like

North Sea shrimp (crangon crangon), or brown shrimp is another typical ingredient in northern Europe. Netherlands consumes the most of this shrimp. They are the second biggest crangon shrimp producer in Europe. Together with German fleets they catch about 87% of the shrimp, whilst Denmark lands 11%. Netherlands’ fleets shrimp in Wadden Sea and North Sea.

I got the first shrimp this season, eur. 20/kg. Seen here is my first 560g. Ready peeled cost minimum eur. 50/kg. Crangon shrimp don’t taste like tiger prawns, FYI. They have a distinct taste due to high content of iodine.

I left the mid section intact because it’s full of roe, nearly all of them have roe. This is why I like them with shell on. Made a cup of broth with the removed heads and tails to drink alongside my sandwich.

With garlicky yoghurt in brown rolls. The shell is soft enough to be left unpeeled, but hard enough to provide a nice crunch.

And on rye bread.

More toppings for rye bread

Bismarck herring

2 Likes

Gochujang sauce and kimchi to eat with the meatballs.

4 kinds. Small portion of radish kimchi has miso hence the slightly darker colour.

Sandwiches.

Leftover Liège-style meatballs. I left out the meat and raisin sauce for after the photos.

And this is the pear-apple syrup from Liège.

Damn, woman. You’re making me hungry for herring!

2 Likes

You will eat herring to your heart’s content in Berlin :de:

Mos def.

Have not been eating new lunches, just lots of cheese and bread. Here are some from last week.

Tiny sausages that come in a pack of 20, me thinks. Ketchup is verboten. Never have ketchup in the house anyway. But when I was a teenager, well yes of course. Even my favourite scrisps were ketchup flavour. Light reading: the tiny sausages named after a city.

More tiny sausages

Leftover chicken meatballs

More tamarind sauce on the side

Leftover tiny sausages with barley and asparagus.

http://i.imgur.com/Vl9bMu0.jpg

2 Likes

Went to the asparagus farm again last saturday. It was busy as always.

But first I picked up my week’s worth of sourdough breads. It was starting to rain as this photo was being made. It was cold and a bit misty. And yes, I was cycling and eating strawberries.

The rows. Windmill bakery can be seen in the distance, barely.

Appreciate your farm and orchard workers because it’s bloody back-breaking hard work! Each spear has to be cut by hand. The “asparagus spider” has several functions. An ingenious invention by the Germans (who, coincidentally, love asparagus more than anyone, though not as much as I). The workers are the same people every year, so I have heard from multiple people. Nobody would want to do this kind of work but expect the nice things to be cheap!

Inside the sorting shed where you can buy asparagus directly from a counter. Peeling machine on right. The fields are directly behind the back doors.

My bike is parked right next to the shed’s entrance. Asparagus rows and the windmill bakery are in the distance.

The cheapest sort, probably because it’s a couple of days old. My 3 kilos in plastic packaging are on the counter.

There are 10 different sizes and prices.

Lunch photos later. Gonna make dinner now.

3 Likes

These days I eat mostly chard and asparagus.

Taking my sweet time.

Seafood has gotten more expensive than last year. The shrimp and crab claws costed eur.7/kg, now eur.10/kg.

With salmon tartare cured in beetroot water and Aberlour scotch.

Leftover sausages

Also with thinly sliced chard

Pickled herrings in 2 kinds of cream sauce.

With beetroots and dill, with cucumber and parseley. I put the dill in the wrong bowl.

3 Likes

Lunch in Jakarta yesterday was Semur Goyang Lidah or Indonesia beef tongue stew. Surprisingly light and
a sweet and sour flavour.

3 Likes

How I lust to say those words.

4 euros per kilo for such gorgeous asparagus is a crazy fabulous deal!! (I just went to the not so great market near me tonight and only found poor looking asparagus at $599/LB so i passed on it, hopefully will find some fresh and better price this weekend elsewhere)
I have tried and enjoyed white asparagus but i’m not as obsessed with it as europeans are- just not sure i enjoy it so much more over green asparagus. Although i have certainly never seen green asparagus so fat and large as those white ones, so perhaps white are better at that large size?
What a beautiful area for biking!

It’s the other way around here. Green asparagus, even though it’s available and far far less prevalent, is only being considered as “something else for a change” once in a while, or when it’s in the middle of the season etc. Asparagus is probably the only vegetable which is “crowned” “king of all vegs” and so revered.

Regardless of the types of asparagus, if too big it becomes too woody and the taste is less refined. OK if you are making soup with it. Grilling brings out the sweetness.

My 3 boxes cost eur.9 each. It does get a bit cheaper and good that the season is getting longer.

1 Like

The SoCal weather was so nice this weekend so lunch was on the patio. Salad was the plan, and since we had all the fixings for BLTs, we went with a BLAT salad. Dressing was made with what saw left in the spicy brown mustard jar, plus sherry vinegar, evoo, salt, pepper, and a spoon of Just Mayo.

6 Likes

Good to see you back, Aussie!

It was national day off today and I could get to the lunch photos, finally.

Salmon roe which I soaked in some beetroot water.

Roe again, soaked in water with some turmeric. I wanted it to be bright yellow but it didn’t really work.

Prawns in cream (not mayo) and dill, chives as well.

In northern Germany there’s a typical lunch dish of herring in cream served with potatoes fried in Speck fat called “Matjes Hausfrauenart” (Herring home-style). Here I steamed asparagus first then let cool and add some cream to it. Hot smoked salmon belly replaces herring.

Fried in Mangalitsa fat. I use this fat both for cooking and thinly sliced on bread.

“Home-style asparagus”. My newest favourite way to eat asparagus.

A bit of Spain and Portugal. In coastal Portugal it’s common to order a plate of boiled prawns and a bottle of wine almost as soon as you sit down in a (seafood) restaurant.

This one is for the partner, who would rather not peel the prawns. The shell is actually soft.

7 Likes

Woohoo! Waving flags! Very colourful meal! Yum!

I like that your partner is frank about the fact that of not liking to peel prawns.

I don’t remember what I have eaten at today’s lunch, I did ate something. I used my lunchtime now to catch up with Mind of a Chef.