What's for Lunch 2015 - 2016

I’m on my phone and can’t check, but I think there’s a link to a celery soup recipe in the recent soup thread (maybe on the veg board?).

This is a good celery soup,recipe: http://food52.com/recipes/26523-jane-grigson-s-celery-soup

1 Like

This sounds VERY good. Do you think little kids would like this? The green might be a turnoff??? Got a couple of the grands coming next week.

It is very good. Jane Grigson is a master of good things. It’s not very green. Do you think a little paprika would divert them? I suppose the more inner pale stalks you use rather than the outer greener ones, the greater the chances of success.

All good advice. I think I’ll make it and the kiddos can eat something else if they wish. With wee ones, I do LCD (lowest common denominator) food in addition to OUR food :slight_smile:

Sandwich of deli turkey (really GOOD deli turkey), cheddar cheese, kale and avocado on toasted sourdough.

2 Likes

First food photos since the holidays.

With sourdough white bread

2 Likes

If you don’t like Brassicaceae family then stay away from black radish as it can be quite sharp. North Sea shrimp (Crangon crangon) are common round here.

4 Likes

They look like what we call “bay shrimp.” I find them rather flavorless.

North Sea shrimp have a distinct taste and colour (brown). Actually, they don’t taste much like other species.

1 Like

Aka granat. Memories of peeling those mofos on my grandma’s porch in Bremerhaven.

Serial PITA, but so worth it!

2 Likes

The nearest decent Banh Mi is found in Brussels. Best Banh Mi in Europe is probably in Paris and I have eaten it in both cities. (FYI, France has the biggest Vietnamese community in Europe.)

No shredded carrots and daikon because I don’t have any in the house.

No garlicky pâté either. Meat is made in France (see my FYI above).

Here’s a link to Andrea Nguyen’s blog, this about banh mi. She has a book out that’s available as a kindle also. There are as many ways to make banh mi as you can possibly imagine.

1 Like

Yeah, I actually have that book of hers. We even chatted a bit on that wretched site when her book was COTM. I should have a peek in the book again, though.

Squid this sunday late lunch, with a marinade of lemongrass, curry, shallot, yuzu juice and nuoc nam. Sided with a cucumber salad.

4 Likes

Lovely Banh Mi! I had never eaten a bad one in Vietnam.

Now you reminded me I still have the Vietnamese pâté in the fridge bought a while ago, in a store in Paris. I keep forgetting it in the fridge. Thank you!

I took her Asian dumpling class in SF perhaps three years ago. I have all her books and looking forward to her pho book next year. I make her pho bo recipe and it’s so good that I found the pho in Vietnam very inferior!

She has a Pho book coming? Why am I not surprised. It seems she does everything so well in her Vietnamese food repertoire. (duh…!)

I think the new Pho book is going to be fabulous. She’ll have regional Pho recipes in it I’m sure. I personally prefer southern Pho but I did enjoy Pho everywhere in Vietnam.

Nice squid! Nuoc mam and lemongrass go great together.

I also didn’t have any bad Banh Mi in Vietnam.

A couple of times flying back from Vancouver, Canada I had Vietnamee pâté in a cool box with ice cubes as hand baggage! That was before 9/11.

Check if you pâté is still good though…

Before this I had some bread with cheese and Speck but it wasn’t enough.

Camera struggles to focus on the rice paper.

Was full after the rice paper rolls so the bowl in the background there is for dinner later.

2 Likes