What's for Lunch 2015 - 2016

I used extra firm tofu. Normally I’d press it but the brand I currently have is very dense and dry so I didn’t bother. I slice it thinly (not paper thin) and marinate in a mix of an equal amount of tamari and water, about 3 tablespoon of nutritional yeast, a scant teaspoon of liquid smoke (smoked paprika is an alternative), 1-2 tsp maple syrup, about a tsp of tomato paste and some garlic and onion powder. Marinate for at least 30 minutes. Up to 8 or so hours is also fine.

I probably used about 1/2 cup of liquid for 12oz/340g of tofu and that was fine. I pan fried (non-stick pan is really helpful here) in a bit of olive oil until crispy. It’s lacking something and I’m not sure what. I may up the amount of tamari next time and add a touch of the paprika along with the liquid smoke.

1 Like

Interesting, indeed. Maybe you can experiment with spices and flavours til you get the taste you like.

Thanks!

I’ve much preferred a version made with tempeh. The prep is slightly annoying (i marinated and baked in the oven once and that worked pretty well) really delicious and great texture though
http://www.veganpeace.com/recipe_pages/recipes/TempehBacon.htm

1 Like

Toasted bread with cold roast beef (“Otto”)

With ham is “Max” (I used Tirolean Speck here)

Max and Otto together

2 Likes

Thanks! I will definitely give this recipe a try.

I bought a jar of muffaletta mix a couple of weeks ago and can’t get enough of it! Today I had a panini roll with ham, genoa salami, swiss, and the yummy olive mix. with a diet pepsi.

1 Like

BLT salad with the addition of cukes & radishes. Noice.

3 Likes

I had to look it up. Interesting! Has not arrived in my food hell, yet.

Radi is always noice! We are seeing your new plate again.

You must must must try it or make some, if you like olives. It’s especially good as a cheese condiment.

Thanks for the idea. It’s like a mini salad and the recipe is really simple so I shall give it a go. Would be nice in a sandwich like many search results I got when I looked it up.

What sort of cheese would go with this mix? I eat mostly (French) soft cheese.

ETD: and as a pizza topping. Even better!

Running around today and found myself and an associate in Korea Town. So, Korean it was.
We each had soondubu (tofu soup). One with seafood and one with pork.

The soup came with assorted banchan and this beautiful purple rice.

We also shared a seafood pancake, haemul pajeon. Loaded with squid and green onions. We each managed one piece so my associate has 3/4 of the pancake for later.

5 Likes

[groan bitterly] I like Korean food. The octopus pancake looks marvelous! Me thinks I’d like it more than Japanese octopus balls.

I had some Korean and Vietnamese food in Dublin, Ireland of all places.

(Wanna make that octopus pancake)

We’ve done BLAT (with avocado) salads. Also have done Cobb sandwiches.

It’s not hard, especially if you have ready access to frozen octopus. Where I live, they are sold whole, so one octopus would be way more than enough for Korean pancakes, but once cooked, the rest of the octopus could be used to make a nice octopus and potato salad, with black olives.

Here are two recipes for Korean pancakes, one with squid and a pajeon with seafood, but octopus would be a simple substitution in either recipe.

Thank you very much. I was just about to goggle the pancake recipe, actually. Got the tentacles today. I don’t eat green onions and forgot to buy chives. I’ll just make one without green onions for myself, my partner can eat the green stuff separately.

Looks like I am also making something “Korean” to go with the pancake dinner.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Yesterday’s lunch.

Flönz is a type of blood sausage and is one of the specialities of Rheinland. I like the best as is, with bread and many a beer like how it is served in Düsseldorf and Köln. Even my partner who doesn’t like anything with blood in it can eat this sausage. The blood taste is very faint. We brought this back from Köln, the whole big ring, and seen here is the last of it. It freezes well, as does the foie gras.

Wiki page for Flönz is only in German (and Rheinland dialect), unfortunately. But you can do whole page translate by pasting the url to a translation site.

Brought back from Colmar, Alsace.

Two kinds of Speck

It was a nice lunch, plus the rich cheese of course.

3 Likes

That’s one of our favorite meal - lunch or dinner.

2 Likes

This was from sunday, only had time to look at the photos now.
My fishmonger is clever, he saves roe from all the fish he cleans. Eats the roe himself or sells it to me. Most people think it’s gross so more for us!

Here I just rolled it in seasoned flour and fried (after the potatoes). With the potatoes and samphire it becomes very North Sea kind of food.

Had the leftovers and 2 other leftovers for dindin today.

Samphire was quickly fried right after the roe

3 Likes

Sandwich with bresaola and pickled vegs. Bottom layer is semi dried tomatoes in oil.

Extra photo and is not part of lunch… I have mailed some of these to my former teacher this week. I have been sending her a christmas box every year for several years now. She loves these “teas”.

4 Likes

I’ve made vegetarian versions of okonomiyaki too, it’s a great way to use up this and that veggies since they’re all just shredded. I like it best with lots of cabbage in there and then pickled ginger and kewpie+soy sauce

2 Likes