What's for Lunch 2015 - 2016

Although lahmajoun has meat since the word lahma is meat

Lahmaçun has this deep red colour which comes from Turkish red pepper paste. The dough is semi soft and is eaten rolled up. The bread/dough of “Mediterranean” looks firmer. I think it’s the maker’s own invention and name.

Was busy yesterday so just this for lunch today (after bread and cheeses, and even the cheeses are not new this weekend).

Wanted to make my version of “hoppelpoppel”* but realised there wasn’t any potato in the house so it became this: scrambled eggs with asparagus and white sausages.

How the sausages are kept warm and to prevent them from turning yellow. Chives blossoms because I have too many and they need to be used up asap.

So this is how I used up a package of white sausages

(* How Berliners reuse leftover meat and potatoes)

4 Likes

After a walk on the beach which was cut short by impending storm clouds we headed home and noshed on celery and mini multicolored peppers with the dips I made yesterday. Hummus, baba ganoush and muhammara

4 Likes

After another long beach walk I picked some grouper cheeks. I have some from yesterday that will be cooked tomorrow but needed more as my wife invited more people for dinner tomorrow night. Since its been a while since I’ve made them I bought extra to play with for lunch to see how to get the best texture from them

Pan fried a few with a small potato that was also pan fried for a side.
Okay now I’m comfortable with the cheeks

5 Likes

ScubaDoo, that looks yummy! Sometimes I see monkfish cheeks here but those are the only fish cheeks I’ve ever seen. Fish we get here tend to be smaller than in the US.

My lunches this weekend as follows. Crap weather has returned, unfortunately. I had to pump up the brightness and contrast considerably. Lighting comes solely from the camera’s flash, hence the harsh shadow.

With asparagus (2 more weekends and the season is all over)

This is actually crab meat I removed myself. Kind of hard to see.

Potato salad with “beer sausage”/Bierwurst

Had it like this several times in Thessaloniki, Greece. Costs about eur. 10 there for this much. 4 tentacles like these costs me eur. 4 here from the market fishmonger.

Braised whelks. I enjoyed snails in tomato sauce and fennel seeds in Spain, thought I could do the same using whelks. This is a whole kilo of whelks without the shell.

My favourite

Cold prawns

4 Likes

Pizza on the grill.

4 Likes

Lots of cheese!

Dog is not guarding the new BBQ rig this time? :grin:

The dog was actually right at the front of the BBQ this time! Of course, before burning hot dough and cheese get moved he has to more his little butt out of the way. :wink:

2 Likes

“New catch” herring season started the other day. Today I finally had them at my usual trusty friday market fishmonger. When I say “trusty” fishmonger it means the quality is consistent. Not all fishmongers get this kind of quality control praise from me! It’s one of those things, you find a good fishmonger/butcher/whatever and make good acquaintance with them.

Butter from the sea

The cleaner chucks the bag of herrings in a pail next to her for ease of access

This is a full tray. I forgot how many herrings she cleans per day but it’s a lot more in the first few weeks of the new season.

Mine. New herrings should look like this. Pink flesh and glisten.

Short clip of the cleaning process (there are texts with info so watch in full screen mode)

2 Likes

Just figs and Jamon Serrano Reserva with some bread.

Turkish figs bought from a Turkish market stall

2 Likes

Not healthy but delicious grilled chili dogs. I got a pack of Fork in The Road beef hot dogs at the market and decided to make some hot dog chili. I have fond memories of my dad making hot dogs with “chili goop.” The chili turned out really good.

6 Likes

A glass already went in the marinade. This one is for yours truly.

Front

Overhead

3 Likes

Veggie potstickers and a soba noodle salad. Perfect for a hot day…109 today and 115 predicted for tomorrow. So glad we have a brand new A/C.

5 Likes

Boo! I’ve been busy and the weather is worthless for photos anyhow.

Removed crab claw meat and mixed it with chopped prawns, garlic, ginger etc. Steamed and added trout roe before eating.

More dumplings in the background, and another tray was being steamed.

3 Likes

Ground turkey tacos with some cabbage, lettuce, tomato, and some pickled jalapeño onion mix.

5 Likes

When you see new yorkers standing in line for a bagel shop you get in that line.
Absolute bagels might be my favorite bagel shop but it’s certainly not a secret…! After dutifully waiting in line about 15min i left the tiny shop with my fat fresh everything bagel with olive pimento tufutti (you would never know it’s nondairy) with sliced tomatoes, red onion and cucumber. Replenished the freezer bagel stash with a few pumpernickle and everything since i’m not in that neighborhood very often.

3 Likes

Friday we shut the office down early for the holiday weekend. Two of us grabbed sushi. This was the spicy tuna, no mayo, on rice cake.

4 Likes

^^ So good!

My first lunch was just bread and several cheeses. Now it’s time for second lunch :pig2:

Lazy summahtime eating again.

Pig’s ear bits are from a Cantonese restaurant. As are the rice sheets. Extra crisp-fried shallots on the side.

2 Likes

Tried out a cool new bar today - Mohawk Bend in Los Angeles. I had this Bahn Mi pizza. Different and delicious. Marinated tofu cubes, pickled carrot and daikon, herb salad, jalapeño, sriracha sauce, sesame seeds.

4 Likes