What's for Lunch 2015 - 2016

More Asparagus. Beer is a mild “red beer”, and stands up well to the North Sea brown shrimps.

3 Likes

National day off today. This miserable weather has not changed since Sunday.

Munich white sausages

“Potato cheese”. Actually just mashed potatoes, cream, minced onions and chives. Called Erdäpfelkäse in Austria, means the same thing.

Southern German style lunch

3 Likes

More asparagus! The price has not become cheaper 3 weekends into the season (still eur. 11/kg). So far we have purchased 5,5kg.

The blue cheese provide all the salt in this frittata

Bits from shaved asparagus salad

With fresh sweet spring onions from the market. Finally used them up.

Made the dough myself this time

2 Likes

TBH… this was my breakfast the last couple days ----- but since I have it around 1 PM, I’ll call it lunch.

Soft-boiled egg, teewurst, liverwurst with chives, pistachio mortadella, milk.

Soft-boiled egg, trout & char caviar on cream cheese & toast with a squeeze o’lemon.

5 Likes

For you, a night owl, and Argentinians, 1pm is breakfast, yes. I knew the Teewurst would be coming one of these days. Can you check the ingredient list and tell me the exact order of everything listed? Or take a photo (use macro mode). I want to compare it with the Teewurst here.

The roe is so pretty!

Soon to be my lunch. Looks like a mess now but something beautiful is going to emerge in about 2 days time.

2 Likes

More clams and asparagus. We have polished off 6kg of asparagus thus far.

Looks like a lot but these are very small clams, sold in 1kg net.

Asparagus with 2 kinds of ham.

Dark ham is beef and smoked. Even the potatoes were steamed. I steam a lot of things.

2 Likes

The 2 tenderloin sliders yesterday were so good I had a couple more for lunch

1 Like

Whole grilled mackerel from our favorite fish man at our favorite market :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your pics and descriptions…are transportive…thank you

1 Like

LingF’s photo: More Franconian beer do make it to Berlin now. I’ve had this one, btw.

Elsewhere it’s XYZ on toast, in Germany it’s “Strammer Max”. I like mine with Tiroler Schinkenspeck (a kind of Tirolean ham).

Got these smaller asparagus as well as the fat ones. Smaller ones are better on toast and Flammkuchen. Paid eur. 1,00 extra for machine peel cost.

2 Likes

I have indulged a bit this a long weekend. Unfortunately, the weather was shite all 3 days.

Found out this asparagus mousse was nice smeared on bread as is. It contains cream and goes good with cooked prawns or in my case, cured salmon.

Finally made this with a lot more whisky and crushed juniper berries. These trips are from the flesh around the cavity. There’s the loin piece left, for next time with something else.

2 Likes

A disastrous weekend for photos (sunless, dark, rainy, clammy). The food makes up for it.

With lots of juniper berries and whisky this time (in the salmon that is).

Quark and snipped chives in the potato salad

Chilean snow crab meat (from frozen) on bread. The white stuff in the middle layer is asparagus mousse.

(more later)

6 Likes

Looking at this entire page - and all of the pictures you (and others posted) - I am in awe, speechless and salivating. I there any way you can add recipes along with the pictures? Especially of the asparagus mouse and the sweet onion flammkuchen?

1 Like

Hi Acsss, I don’t really have recipes… mostly just intuitively adapt them to my own taste. For example, I have read a few recipes for asparagus mousse and terrine then I experimented with amounts of ingredients and seasoning. It can fail the first few times (easily!) but with practice I learn to do it better.

For the terrine I use this recipe.

For Flammkuchen I always make a simple dough with flour, fresh yeast, water and a pinch of salt. Roll out the dough thinly in any shape you fancy, spread crème fraîche to near the border, arrange Speck (if using) and sliced onion rings on the whole thing. Bake for 20 mins or so. I start with 20 mins but it could take a bit longer, perhaps. The timing depends on the size and heat, obviously. Practice :grin:

5 Likes

These wobbly chunks are beer jelly. Saw the recipe in a food mag and wanted to give it a go. Very easy. I used an IPA so the jelly was very bitter, just the way I would like it to taste. It is, however, quite impossible to photograph having no texture to focus on.

Goes well with fatty, smokey things. Cool and refreshing to cleanse the palate in between.

After the marinade mess was removed I pressed more juniper berries, which were blitzed in a food processor, on the fish and let the whole thing sit in the fridge overnight. The smell of juniper berry bits were so intense I had to double seal the fish.

Half of the salmon was eaten with asparagus (pics posted above), and half with this.

Dried tuna roe I brought back from Spain. The plastic “crust” must be removed before eating, btw. In Spain Huevas de Atun is eaten with almonds as part of tapas.

The whole lunch. Giant seedless Turkish lemon. Cheese is from yesterday. The Iberico sausage is lovely! And I made the beer jelly especially to go with these fatty, strong tasting morsels.

Oh yeah, there are no greens. No, you are not mistaken. The only veg would have been on bread, as in Pan con tomate, like in Spain.

3 Likes

From this weekend:

Fish without the chips. Here you get fish or chips. They are not sold together.

These are ready-to-be-baked store-bought pretzels. Gonna learn to make it myself someday.

With sausage salad

2 Likes

Mediterranean pizzas from the farmers market. One has a light tomato sauce, the other a few greens and feta.

3 Likes

The top one looks like lahmaçun (?).

Yes it does. It’s the first thing to pop in my head

I checked the package, but it just says Mediterranean pizza. I’ll ask the guy next week.