What's For Dinner #98 - the Pumpkin-Freaking-Everything! Edition - September 2023

Oh no! Do take care and hydrate!

2 Likes
4 Likes

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at James on Main in Hackettstown, NJ, including an awesome rabbit cannelloni with taleggio, sweet potato velvet, Mazur Cafe’s dark chocolate & roasted poultry glace; wood fired wild shrimp with charred golden pineapple, herb salad roll, miso peanut sauce; pork belly and chestnut mushrooms with peach and fresno chili agrodolce; wood fired oysters with roasted corn chowder, melting leeks, bacon lardons; duck pot stickers with orange sauce, seaweed salad, micro shiso scallion; frito misto with flash fried calamari, rock shrimp, spring onions, meyer lemon remoulade; and crispy house cut fries with black garlic aioli. It all went great with a couple of excellent cabernets.

18 Likes

After cleaning out kitchen cupboards yesterday I was too tired to make dinner so Greek take out to the rescue. The lamb souvlaki I had was really good and it came with generous portions of rice, potatoes and pita (not shown). I had the lamb, half the rice, and half the pita. The leftovers will be lunches for the next couple of days.

22 Likes

Saturday night - Maangchi’s doenjang jjigae (stew) with beef . We had made her kimchi jjigae the other week. Both were great, and produced fine leftovers for eating later.

Here is the kimchi jjigae we made, with sliced pork belly. It was particularly easy.

21 Likes

Sorry to hear, I hope it passes quickly! Wouldn’t it be great if bourbon hot toddies cured covid!

7 Likes

Ugh, the very last thing you need. Hope it is a very short, mild case and the bourbon hot toddies are an effective sleep aid!!

It is a sunny, still, perfect day here, post-Lee.

3 Likes

Ugh, so sorry! Hope the symptoms go away quickly and you’re able to eat something soon!

6 Likes

I’m sorry you are sickly, and hope you recover soon. I’ve heard that UTIs can increase dementia symptoms (which I found curious). Wishing you and your mom the best <3

7 Likes

The balcony provides! Red Anaheim pepper, chard, sage leaves. I was gonna do something fancy, like stuff the pepper, and then I said to myself Sylvia? you just got your hip replaced. Just make an omelet. So I made an omelet. Needed more feta, and that pepper! Kapow.

chard

omelet

23 Likes

Went with a simple favorite tonight (by request / reminder) — pasta with raw tomato sauce.

The pasta was bucatini, which is a nice change from the more frequent short pasta that’s easy to find here.

This “sauce” always tastes like pan amb tomate topping to me — and I love it both ways. Garlic, chopped and grated tomatoes, olive oil, a splash of vinegar and a pinch of sugar to adjust. I couldn’t find my store of chilli flakes which would have been a nice addition, so there was black pepper. Everything marinated for a while before mixing in the drained pasta. I love how the hot pasta soaks up the tomato juices.

21 Likes

Oh no! I hope you feel better real soon. Hopefully the hot toddies will help.

Edited to add when I was in my tweens onward my mom used to make me “hot lemon” whenever I had a cold. It was basically hot water with the juice of a whole lemon and a shot of brandy added. I slept like a baby after…

6 Likes

Last night I made a take off on a Natural Grocers /Vitamin Cottage salad recipe. It was from this month’s circular, “Kale Salad with Roasted Sweet Potato and Garbanzo Beans”. Very healthy. I halved the recipe, subbed in ruby chard for the kale and reduced the spice mixture. It was delicious and will be wonderful as an entreé when I make it again. It would have been better if I hadn’t accidentally dumped half of the roasted mix on the floor😵. I let everyone dress their own portion with the yogurt/lime/cilantro dressing. No picture, but you can see it on their site under recipes.

10 Likes

Those both look fantastic. Do you recommend one over the other?

1 Like

I’m so sorry it’s hit you. Do you have someone there to ferry you drinks and food? Try to stay hydrated and on top of pain/medicine. My DH found Immodium and DayQuil helpful. :purple_heart:

Did you really?! Take care of that, friend! Baby yourself a little. Don’t overdo it. :heart:

2 Likes

Yep. Second replacement, same side. I treat my joints like iPhones - gotta keep upgrading! Not really, but that would be a good story, no?

11 Likes

Also @retrospek, I’m a huge proponent of Paxlovid! Gives you yucky grapefruit mouth but sure helps tamp down severity.

3 Likes

Two nights ago: a blah-looking (but delicious) Chicken Parm. That one tomato bulging under the melted cheese bothers me. LOL

Last night: slow-cooker roast beef, mashed potatoes, sautéed zucchini. No pics.

Pic of drink: a dry Manhattan. Loved it. The dry vermouth (Dolin) really allowed the bourbon to shine. Much better than a regular one.

21 Likes

Me, too! Mash it down!

3 Likes