What's For Dinner #98 - the Pumpkin-Freaking-Everything! Edition - September 2023

My partner had a craving for sausage rolls so homemade sausage rolls we had. I did buy the puff pastry and my sausage mix was a combination of sausages, mince and other additions. He loved the meat to pastry ratio which you can’t actually see in the picture. It was served with homemade baked beans, I much prefer these to the tinned ones whereas he is the opposite. Just the way we grew up really.

25 Likes

Someone really likes tartare :wink:

2 Likes

Are those noodz dressed with anything - besides the toppings, that is? Is that broth next to the bowl?

It’s a dipping sauce called mentsuyu, and here’s the recipe I used. Except I used anchovy instead of bonito and white wine instead of sake, 'cause that’s what I had on hand. There’s no dressing on the noodles.

2 Likes

Fish Chowder with cod, potatoes, onion, clam juice, bacon, white wine, flour, bay leaves, heavy cream and parsley

13 Likes

There is never enough tartare

5 Likes

Losing ALL power would have been even more horrible. So sorry that happened to you! At least I had some power throughout, and didn’t lose the fridge and freezer contents in the garage.

6 Likes

Glad to see you posted this in the Regional Board.

1 Like

Yayyyyyyyyyy!!!

1 Like

We had a Big Meeting all evening, and had pre-agreed that Chinese takeout would be the appropriate antidote.

I ordered while the other people were still here, and still ran into an hour and a half Saturday night delay :woman_facepalming:t2:

Anyway, it hit the spot as anticipated when it finally arrived. Hakka noodles, garlic fried rice, soy chilli chicken, szechuan chicken lollipops, and paneer manchurian.

I am mentally and physically exhausted from the day’s activity, but craving ice cream and currently debating the definite stupidity of eating the fully caffeinated coffee ice cream in the freezer when I also just want to go to sleep.

21 Likes

Hope you resisted the coffee ice cream but found another flavor! This sort of reminds me of the time in college when I had five Irish coffees - a really really bad idea for so many reasons.

7 Likes

Hottest day of the year so far, 33°c in the second week of September. A salad was called for, for dinner salad nicoise,.my favourite salad. Also Mrs PB had a poor one for lunch ( described as a monstrosity) during the week and wanted one to expunge it from her memory). I added capers , which is not usual but was a nice piquant addition. Had a glass of Chablis to go with.

27 Likes

Split a 24 oz. Snake River Farms rib eye steak, along with sauteed spinach with garlic and red chilies, and tater tots. Session IPA for him and Syrah for me!

28 Likes

“I can relate”!

1 Like

A visit to Wegmans after a much needed haircut means…Scallops!

Simply seasoned with some lemon peel powder and freshly ground pepper, and pan-seared in olive oil and butter.

Plated on leftover Basmati rice from last night that was tossed with sauteed spinach with salt and Aleppo pepper, and toasted Mediterranean pine nuts sprinkled on top.

Wine.

25 Likes

So glad that things are back to normal! :+1:

3 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Drew’s Bayshore Bistro, in Keyport, NJ, including our usual favorites of an awesome Cajun seafood stuffed eggplant boat with panko breaded and fried eggplant with crawfish, crabmeat, Andouille and eggplant stuffing, sauteed shrimp and Cajun sherry cream; spicy Cajun shrimp; crispy boudin spring rolls; and fried green tomatoes. It all went great with an excellent Syrah and cabernet.

17 Likes

Now that is my kind of meal. The heck with the pork chop, monkfish and NY strip steak. Although I’m sure they’re all good. Appreciate you posting the menu.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Asian marinated flat iron steak, Yaki Udon, and Zucchini Tempura.

To drink: I had the strangest craving for a Kir Rotale (bought a single-serve bottle of Prosecco) so I sipped one while cooking. Gin martini with dinner. Happy Saturday.

26 Likes

Very much yum

4 Likes