What's For Dinner #96 - the Which Marketing Commercial Month Is It? Edition - August 2023

Your plate makes me smile. My grandmother used to make the Slovakian version of this (haluski kapusta) with little homemade dumplings rather than noodles. Comfort food.

6 Likes

I love hearing stories about favourite dishes from childhood. My dad’s side of the family was Czech and when my parents married my dad’s mother taught my mother some of my dad’s favourite Czech dishes. Sadly my paternal grandparents died before I was born and only a few recipes were passed down. One of my favourite dishes is roast pork, sauerkraut and dumplings. I could easily learn to make roast pork but I forgot to ask my mom for her dumpling recipe before she died :frowning:

6 Likes

Sadly I don’t have any dumpling recipes, either.

However, I can roll halupki (stuffed cabbage) like it is my job. I was the person in the household who got the task of assembling the halupki for holiday meals. I never much cared for that dish and still don’t, LOL.

3 Likes

1:1 rice to water, maybe add a small amount of oil and salt if it’s not the base for something salty. Then press the rice setting and select brown rice. If your pot doesn’t have that, I believe it’s 30 min (but I’m not sure if that’s high or low pressure, I’ll have to check when I get home next week), then NPR for 10 min.

Camping at a lake! Last night after arriving we had old skool tacos, sauteed zukes, and pinto beans and rice.

My kiddo made a pretty sophisticated argument citing historical precedent and averages for getting a third marshmallow for dessert.

25 Likes

I hear you. I’ve read a little about it. Relative to the type 2 diabetes dominating both sides in our families, the risk of arsenic poisoning is lower. I should track how many times a week we eat rice or rice products, though. We do love our Asian foods. Here’s what WaPo had to say:

“The greatest health risk comes from chronic exposure to inorganic arsenic, and that’s more likely to come from contaminated water rather than rice. So take a deep breath — Choiniere says that “the short-term health effects that can occur from high levels of arsenic are at exposures far higher than what is typically found in foods.”
Of course, eating highly contaminated rice products multiple times a day, week after week, is not a smart idea, especially if you are cooking in water that also contains arsenic. That’s an example of chronic arsenic exposure, which is linked to an increased risk of developing Type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. It can also lead to chronic arsenic poisoning, which may trigger skin lesions and skin cancer.”

(Gift link) https://wapo.st/3qrOSCl

4 Likes

Good unsolicited advice though. Just in the last month, we had a door shelf break from too much weight and had to replace the part.

1 Like

Last night’s dinner was “Clean Out Casserole”… I went digging through the pantry and the crisper drawer for anything about to go bad. I found a couple of russet potatoes, a couple of sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, mushrooms and onions. All of it went into this casserole with a little shredded sharp cheddar and topped with panko. It was actually pretty good!!

16 Likes

After a long day of driving around Lake Constance we decided to stay in our new hotel in the Black Forest and try out their restaurant - Restaurant Schlehdorn https://www.schlehdorn.de/ Excellent cuisine - we all picked their daily changing three course prix fixe for €39

Appetizers:

Red Curry Soup with Lemongrass

Mixed Salad with French Dressing

Red Beet Carpaccio with goat cheese, caramel, arugula, balsamico

Entrees:

Sea Trout, teriyaki, citrus beurre blanc, chanterelles, black forest lentils

Risotto with beech mushrooms, scallions, parmesan

Veal tri tip with horseradish sauce, cranberries, carrots, parsnip, broccoli, potatoes

Desserts:

Sour cherry and caramel ice cream with berries

Baileys-Coffee Cake with chocolate, raspberries, passionfruit sorbet

Cheese Selection with baguette, dried figs, raisins, Chutney

15 Likes

I find that recipes/techniques from Amy & Jacky work very well! Here’s a link to their Brown Rice recipe…

3 Likes

Finallllly made it to our favorite fried chicken purveyor and longstanding Berlin institution, Henne.

It’s usually one of our first stops when we arrive bc my PIC loves it so, but it was too damn hot early on, then crappy, rainy & cold… and this chicken is best enjoyed in their tiny beergarden, catching the last of the evening sun beneath the linden trees at one of their picnic tables :slight_smile:

I always take the slices of their very good bread home bc there’s no room for 1/2 chicken & potato salad AND bread.

19 Likes

That fried chicken pic is an argument for a trip to Berlin all by itself…

3 Likes

This completely cracked me up. I hope it was a successful argument! Appropriately caveated of course…

2 Likes

It’s pretty amazing. We’ve been going for more than 20 years. The prices have gone up, but the quality has been consistent. The fact that they sell supermarket potato salad for almost 5 euro is kind of insulting, but we put up with it anyway :joy:

And we have perfected our technique over the years to eat all of the chicken and some of the bones (I eat both the wing tips and some of the ribs :smiling_imp:).

5 Likes

After our daughter was born my wife didn’t produce enough milk to feed her. At the hospital they gave us some baby product, but it had sugar in it, so I decided to look for something else. At the pharmacy they recommended a ground rice product which had been traditional in Switzerland. So we took it. Our daughter still loves rice today.

2 Likes

Teacher/prof? My H was a prof for 15 yrs or so and just recently switched out. You can’t beat the schedule though.

Reading Digga’s helpful tip about not loading refrigerator door too heavily, reminded me of an installer tips to me about how to correctly open a freezer drawer in a refrigerator/freezer combo. He said to never open it with one hand because continually doing that will cause the drawer to warp. The advice was to always use both hands fairly close to each handle end and the drawer will not warp.

5 Likes

High School, special education

5 Likes

More Chinese food than I’ve cooked since our weekly feasts through the pandemic.

I made ginger scallion noodles (been on my list for ages, just fantastic), mushrooom pot rice, soy and butter sautéed black mushrooms, garlicky bok choy, and shrimp with black mushrooms in a sichuan doubanjiang based sauce.

I was oddly pleased that I made everything in one pan, except boiling the noodles :smiley:

Mushroom pot rice was the crowd favorite, though the ginger scallion noodles were mine!

Like that wasn’t enough, after clearing everything up, I baked two sets of brownies for tomorrow — didn’t even eat a single one! (Erm… let’s not count edges and crumbs and what stuck to the knife.)

24 Likes

Leftover ribeye/potatoes/beans/grilled red onion and corn with some delicious, random beef demi-goo I found in the freezer.

20 Likes