ASIAN NOODLES - Summer 2023 (Jul-Sept) Dish of the Quarter

There were green onions as garnish. Perhaps garlic

Spicy Sesame Chili Oil Noodles

I made these beauties last week. I had the noodle type and wanted to make the best of them (thank you, Mala Market. It’s jst a basic sesame paste plus chile oil recipe, but quite satisfying with these wide, chewy noodles.

9 Likes

I was talking about microwaving fun noodles 33 seconds, separating, repeating twice more.

1 Like

Soy Sauce Braised Wild Mushroom Noodles, from The Woks of Life

Made this again for dinner tonight, using the dark mushroom soy sauce it called for. It really does make a difference in the overall color and flavor. Dried lo mein style noodles were the noodles - I cooked them at a boil for 5 minutes instead of the 6 called for, which was perfect for our tastes and held up well in the broth without getting soggy. This is a favorite in our house!

13 Likes

Soba with leftover steak and sugar snap peas.

Deets over at July COTM, RecipeTin Eats.

11 Likes

Ginger Scallion Noodles

There are a bunch of recipes for this, and iirc it was put into the spotlight by Momofuku.

I used my method for scallion ginger sauce / condiment, added a splash of soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and butter to finish.

These may have overtaken umami noodles as my favorite current noodle prep. My favorite part of tonight’s dinner!

12 Likes

Lunch was quick spicy peanut noodles with extra chile oil. The recipe was from the back of a chile oil bottle (forget the brand) that had an orange label, some time in the late 70s/early 80s - peanut butter, sesame oil, water, rice vinegar, soy sauce, chile oil. I mostly just make it tasting as I go at this point. Always quick and filling!

12 Likes

Another favorite: Hakka noodles.

These are an Indian Chinese staple, and quite simple in composition for how delicious (and what a cult favorite) they are.

Finely shredded or sliced cabbage, carrot, capsicum (green pepper), red onion, occasionally green beans. Plus lots of garlic and optionally a bit of ginger and green chilli. Soy sauce, splash of vinegar and a bit of sugar to balance if need be.

Egg noodles are the original, but eggless noodles are more common now because it’s easier to make the dish vegetarian that way.

These can morph into other things, but the basic form is a classic for a reason!

Last night we had these as part of takeout, but I found my stash of noodles this week, so I’ll be making them myself again soon!

10 Likes

Two kinds of Asian Noodles today:

Sev Upma / South Indian Savory Vermicelli

Breakfast and/or afternoon snack.

Broken wheat vermicelli, toasted first, then cooked with aromatics, spices, and vegetables. Today I used cabbage, red onion, and carrot, along with a tempering of cumin seeds, mustard seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves, and green chillies.

Here is a recipe pretty close to what I made.

VIetnamese Curry Noodle Soup

Today’s rendition of this started with leftover red curry which sped up the whole process. I used a packet of ramen noodles instead of rice noodles (mom prefers them), and a bunch of vegetables – cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, mushrooms, red onion. Shredded chicken into half. For flavor balance I added jaggery, maggi sauce (in lieu of fish sauce), and a squeeze of lime at the end, along with some cilantro.2

Forgot to take a picture of the dish itself, but I did take one of the tiny bit left over (which had soaked up most of the liquid :joy:).

This recipe is similar.

9 Likes

Is nobody cooking or eating Asian noodles anymore? :flushed::rofl:

Bueller? Bueller?

4 Likes

I forgot all about this! And I’ve been craving soba.

SCALLION GINGER NOODLES redux

Lots of scallions (maybe 3 cups or a bit more? 2 bunches), freshly grated ginger (about 1/4 cup, it was very potent so I stopped there), salt, sugar, splash of soy and sesame oil, and some veg bouillon powder today too. Finished with a bit of butter.

Noodles today were chow mein noodles, which are very skinny (like capellini, and even easier to overcook).

We ate this for dinner with leftover beef bulgogi, which is neither here nor there as a culturally coherent meal but was still delicious :joy:

11 Likes

Okay, finally got around to this (a little late). Zaru soba with okra, ikura, nori, carrots and pickles (both from my garden), silken tofu and scallions. Very nice hot weather dish.

11 Likes

I made Khao Soi for dinner tonight. How could I possibly forget to share this lovely noodle soup dish on this thread?!

She gives some ideas for shortcuts if you don’t want to make your own curry paste for this soup, but it is absolutely worth making the paste if you have the time. I added about a tablespoon of Thai shrimp paste to the curry paste ingredients (similar to the recipe on The Woks of Life).

I promise there are noodles underneath all this!

10 Likes

Alvin’s take (first video) on Liang Mian is probably closest to mine, but these are all great and easy.

5 Likes

I had a little time to kill before meeting some people for dinner in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, so I did what I often do when I’m in an unfamiliar neighborhood. I went into a grocery store to see if there was anything new to me. There was!

package

The thinnest noodles I’d every seen. For refined children! Or maybe made from refined children, tough to say. I mixed them with ginger scallion sauce. Or I tried, anyway. They’re so damn thin that they were hard to separate. Seen here with some of the ingredients I threw together the other day, only in a slightly different configuration.

dinner

13 Likes

Dandan Noodles
Sauce

Noodles and Toppings

15 Likes

Kitsune udon - “fox” udon. Udon noodles (frozen Shirakiku brand Sanukiya udon) in dashi made with kombu and katsuobushi, with inari age/marinated tofu pouches.

Followed this recipe: https://www.justonecookbook.com/kitsune-udon/

10 Likes

Zhajiangmian

9 Likes
1 Like