What's For Dinner #96 - the Which Marketing Commercial Month Is It? Edition - August 2023

WOW! Thanks for the link. I’m not too up on Boston-area geography so am not exactly sure where some these places are though I so recognize the names. I hope things dry out quickly.

3 Likes

As requested, with food. Its counter depth and so easier for me to reach the back of the top shelf. We did not want too many compartments. Like the simplicity very much so far. And that we don’t have to open all the doors to get things. Still sorting out what should go where.
We won;t connect the ice maker.

19 Likes

For years I cooked mostly brown rice, thinking it was healthier. Then I read on the internet that rice is contaminated with arsenic, and brown rice has more arsenic than white rice. If I recall correctly, California Basmati rice has the lowest amounts. We still eat rice, but I have reduced our consumption drastically.

2 Likes

Stir fry kinda night.
Subbed pork and veggie dumplings for noodles, shrimp, romaine, red onion and diced tomato, kimchi lots of fresh ginger and garlic, a couple dashes of soy sauce, spicy chlii/miso crisp and sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.

21 Likes

Love the new fridge (sans door ice/water dispenser that I love but B cannot live without one, so we have one).

One piece of advice we were given by a seemingly trustworthy fridge repair person was to not load up the door compartments too much. Those multiple bottles of condiments adds up in weight and the hinges take a beating. (Apologies for the unsolicited advice!)

6 Likes

Busy work week, so I resorted to getting frozen “wild” salmon from TJs (it’s a 5 minute walk from us and I was desperate). B loves all types of salmon and even he said it tasted a bit farm-y. I didn’t eat it, but here’s his plate of salmon slathered with my garlic scape pesto, and produce from our local farm: air-fryer roasted baby potatoes+broccoli, and corn+tomato salad.

IMG_4591

Popcorn from Vermont via our farm is very good.

IMG_4581

IMG_4580

17 Likes

Hiramasa kingfish two ways tonight - in a mezcal spiked aguachile (adapted from Saveur) and with Rick Bayless’s Oaxan Mole Amarillo, along with potatoes, green beans, and shiitakes. A fun project for today, as I begin the final weeks of school vacation. The next 2 weeks will involve more school prep as we get ready for the year.

22 Likes

House in disarray and did not want anything grilled (again)
Thai spot one town over. Crab rangoon and fried calamari to start.
Shrimp Himmapan for me, beef hot basil our youngest and chicken yellow curry for DH. 3 orders of steamed rice, All very good, lots of shrimp with a nice heat and pineapple. The hot basil was very good, the curry is not my favorite but there were no leftovers, so I assume it was pretty good.

18 Likes

Digga-thanks for the advice, it is something we watch too. I like that this is just 1/4 of the front panel to open, the old fridge door was much larger and heavier.
Hopefully that will help with the pull on the hinges.

2 Likes

Totally fine at home, thankfully. This was an area of my workplace mill building, but still major damage. Congressman Seth Moulton toured Jaime’s Restaurant today to get an idea of the damage. They really had no idea, but hopefully he can get feds/WH to declare it a disaster to allow FEMA funds through. Which will be a lot of work dealing with as well.

10 Likes

I made a chicken tortilla soup with this kit. Fresh parsnips, cooked in butter, on the side.

17 Likes

This is surely a record for me recently - 2 posts in 2 days! Another really nice summer meal. Fried chicken cutlets and what I will call a summer salad made up of things languishing in the fridge and garden harvest. So - it’s tomato and nectarine, sweet onion and romano bean, romaine and basil, a smidge of fresh mozz, and evoo/balsamic. So pretty and so good.

The only disappointment was my first try at Brazilian cheese bread. I saw @Shellybean made it and followed the video she provided. But it just was a kind of awful texture. I think it is meant to be gummy/chewy. It’s made with tapioca flour. But no thank you. I love a good dessert mochi, but the next time I want a cheesy carb, it’ll be a gougere, a popover, or a biscuit.

18 Likes

Yeah, the three North Andover videos show my office’s (broken by firemen to let the water out) front doors at the far left of a pan of the front of the building. And the video of submerged cars are in a parking area directly behind the restaurant 2 doors down, which is why they got hit the worst. Jaime’s storage area beneath his restaurant was submerged, IIRC.

2 Likes

Bravo!

Chicken piccata, haricots verts sauteed in butter, shallot, garlic and sun dried tomatoes. Little gem wedgies, tahini green goddess dressing, radish and green onion. Agua frio.

22 Likes

Which video? I usually make Colombian pandebono rather than Brazilian cheese bread, so I I can’t recall ever having posted about pão de queijo. Kind of similar, but different prep.
I wouldn’t describe it as chewy but rather gooey and stretchy and very cheesy (since cheese is the main ingredient).

Pandebono typically is made with a lot more cheese, some masarepa (there are versions with cornstarch instead, but the masarepa versions are better imo due to the slightly sweet flavor of corn flour), and doesn’t have ingredients like milk and oil/butter that you see in pão de queijo.
I seriously can’t recall posting about pão de queijo!

I saw it in the “what are you baking thread” sometime in the last 3 months. I had the youtube open in a tab for quite a while and then closed it and then found it again today. In any case, no harm no foul - it was just an experiment. Not everything will please everyone. It’s possible it wasn’t you who posted it and I mis-attributed. But I saw it on one of those threads.

4 Likes

@LindaWhit I’m so sorry to hear about your flood mess at work. I hope! you have flood insurance at work and also duplicates of all the important papers. Everything else is replaceable, although of course at a cost and a big mess to boot. Sending good thoughts your way.

2 Likes

Yeah it was @jammy

I’ve had pão de queijo, but I don’t think I’ve ever made it. I prefer pandebono by far (for the bit of sweetness and the fact that it’s made up overwhelmingly of cheese with a little tapioca tossed in) and that’s what I’ve been making for over a decade for people who can’t get enough. Colombian pandeyuca is another, but it’s never as popular as pandebono.

1 Like

Last night’s dinner was fried cabbage and noodles. This is probably my favorite Budget Bytes recipe.

19 Likes