What are you baking? August 2023

It was so good. Served with sour cherry compote

13 Likes

Beautiful! I love them as well, what a nice idea to serve with the compote!

2 Likes

What is your favorite hand pie recipe? I want to pick up some wonderful blackberries at the farmers market. I’d like to use tapioca as a thickener, not cornstarch.

Sunshine requested a chocolate coconut cake, so I made one up. I’m getting closer to duplicating her mother’s frosting recipe. A couple more attempts and I’ll have it.

14 Likes

First bake in Mom’s new oven!!!

sourcherryapricot

I had a forgotten stash of tart cherries in the fridge and a handful of apricots, so I made Martha Stewart’s sour cherry pistachio crisp with apricots in place of 25% of the fruit volume. No other adjustments.

I love this recipe so much.

20 Likes

Alice Medrich’s Best Cocoa Brownies to take to a friend hosting dinner tomorrow night.

I baked a full recipe per usual and a half recipe eggless for my other friend and her husband who will complete the group. Both fudgier than usual by request. To be accompanied by vanilla ice cream of my childhood (that tastes more like fior di latte than vanilla, which is a plus in my book).

Regular:

Eggless:

15 Likes

I’ve been really happy with this “brownie in a mug” recipe which uses cocoa powder and oil rather than chocolate. I’ve subbed in half almond flour but haven’t tried all almond flour (allmond? :joy:) - you’ve inspired me.
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/brownie_in_a_mug/ but I cut the sugar back to 3T.

2 Likes

A six inch chocolate cake, cut in half and brushed with cherry pit syrup (Stella). I made this in a small processor, although I sifted in the cocoa, cake flour and baking soda.
Ganache frosting was made with tart cherry juice rather than cream, a small pat of butter and a squirt of Lyles.
Served with a scoop of raspberry gelato.

14 Likes

looks wonderful!

Thank you, I was pleased with the results…my DH was very pleased!

2 Likes

Vegan friend’s birthday, so I made the Ovenly vegan chocolate chip cookies. https://food52.com/recipes/39132-ovenly-s-secretly-vegan-salted-chocolate-chip-cookies. Sure that I learned about them here or CH!

9 Likes

How were they? My oldest friend is vegan, and it would be fun to send her something.

They’re really great: a genuinely good chocolate chip cookies

4 Likes

Once or thrice a year, I end up making a freezer-dive bread pudding from whatever worthy-but-aged bread-y and/or cake-y things are languishing in there. This one was made up of four orange-blueberry muffins and a leftover section of a friend’s somewhat hearty version of kulich (Russian Easter bread) enriched with almond paste, plus a few extra fresh blueberries and a good amount of chopped apricots, bound by a custard of four eggs, a cup of milk, and a couple of generous slugs of amaretto. The color’s a little odd because the blueberry muffins turned the milk a bit gray as the mixture soaked before going into the oven, but a warm piece sure made a delicious lunch.

17 Likes

I was gifted 2 large zucchini this week. I froze about 4 C. of shredded raw and used the rest in two zucchini breads/loaf cakes. Neither is overly sweet, slices of each make good bedtime snack, and both go well with a bit of ice cream as dessert after dinner.

The Orange Walnut one on the left is a bit dry. The lemon one on the right was made using some frozen sliced fresh lemon, whizzed in the food processor, in place of the lemon zest and juice. Learn from my mistake and don’t do that. The zest when finely grated on a microplane is perfect in this recipe; the larger pieces from food processor are more intense. They caused my husband to rename this cake “Pangalactic Gargleblaster Cake”, after the beverage in Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Effects described in the book as similar to “having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.” But he keeps coming back for more.

18 Likes

This recipe is so quickly made. A very moist and nicely spiced with cinnamon zucchini bread to which i added 1 1/2 cups chocolate chip. Recipe from Snackable Bakes.

13 Likes

I will be curious how your version turns out. I have now made this a few times with the locally bought Greek yogurt, and it’s pretty consistently spectacular.

1 Like

@rstuart @LulusMom1 I always add a splash of vanilla. Love those cookies!

2 Likes

Actually, I already sub almond milk for the whole milk so will be keeping that, but I quite like the idea of swapping Greek yogurt for the butter.

Blueberry almond lemon cake from Ottolenghi’s Simple (and NYT). I’ve been making this for six years and have some alterations to the original recipe. I double the amount of salt, I toss the blueberries in 1 tablespoon of the flour mixture, I fold in all of the blueberries at once, and I lower the amount of butter starting last year, so I’m down to about 135 g instead of 150. Still delicious! I also add the baking powder which is in the New York Times version, but not the cookbook

11 Likes