What's For Dinner #95 - the Hot Fun in the Summertime Edition - July 2023

Dunno where in PA your trails will take you, but don’t sleep on Boal City Brewing Co. or Axemann Brewery (both in Centre County).

1 Like

Good spot! I’m finally out of the boot, although there is considerably more bone healing to do. :crossed_fingers:t2:

14 Likes

Interesting, as I’ve never heard of a dosa being ordered mild, medium or spicy :joy: (accompanying chutneys may be of varying flavor and spice profiles, but unless they’re gratuitously dropping chillies or chilli powder into the batter or filling, it’s like ordering crepes extra spicy…)

But yes, they are delicious. Best hot and crisp.

3 Likes

I’ve never ordered or eaten dosa in my life, but the filling was spicy tandoori chicken as per the board of offerings. When I inquired about the heat level of the chicken filling, the guy running the booth offered up a bowl of chopped up fresh green chile peppers, and I eye-balled how much I wanted him to gratuitously add to the batter & filling.

It was delicious, and the heat not overpowering.

Most dosas I’ve had have been filled with potato curry. It’s a South Indian thing so the typical dosa tends to be vegan. Definitely recommend trying the traditional type if you see them some time.

We have some Roti places in Toronto that wrap Indian-style chicken inside a roti, but it tends to be butter chicken or other chicken curries, not tandoori.

I’m not big on carbs with carb fillings, TBH. Not big on pakoras or pierogies or knish stuffed with mashed for the same reason. And looking around on the interwebs, spicy dosa are a thing. There even are recipes for them!

I mean… it’s Berlin. It’s a street food market. A place & event famous for experimentation and twists on more traditional foods, and a great starting point to expand one’s repertoire. :wink:

This was absolutely one of the best bites I’ve had in town so far, typicality be damned. I’m just here for the good food.

7 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Keep up the good work in healing! Feet are so difficult to heal😨

1 Like

Have you tried Guru Lukshmi’s dosas? The best I’ve had in the GTA. Best to make a reservation because that place gets very busy.

1 Like

Nope. I have enjoyed dosas at Udupi Palace on Gerrard, and Sarvanaa Bhavan (the chain, which has many locations. )

I only do take-out and patios. I don’t think it’s probably worth it for me to go to Mississauga for take-out dosas. I will keep it in mind for a place to recommend in Mississauga.

There are some new South Indian restaurants in London Ontario serving dosas. I tried one place near Fanshawe College last year.

I get not enjoying carb inside carbs.

I like sauerkraut meat perogies, sauerkraut perogies, and mushroom perogies a lot, and also fruit perogies. I think North America tends to focus on the potato versions, unless there’s a large Polish or Ukrainian population nearby.

1 Like

Makes sense, fusion dosa.

There used to be a place in New York run by returned hippies (pretty sure, other guess would be Hare Ramas but I think they’re vegetarian and the place served chicken) that served dosa with your choice of traditional or not stuffing, ranging from chicken tikka to portobello mushroom and spinach.

Their dosa texture was good (though their standard batter was over-fermented / sour) as were the chutneys, which also ranged from traditional to not.

After trying a few of the fusion fillings, I ended back at the “standard” potato filling, which I love (I kept going back despite the sour batter because they made the best – and only – cardamom coffee in town :joy:)

7 Likes

My grandmother (Polish) made two kinds - potato and cottage cheese (closest thing she could find to farmer’s cheese at the time) and mushroom and sauerkraut. I had no idea that meat was even an option until decades later. BF’s dad waxes poetic about blueberry ones he had as a kid. I think it is also about what you grow up with.

3 Likes

I grew up with potato cheddar and potato cottage cheese, which were my family’s recipe. That side came from a village outside Lviv, and brought the recipe to Saskatchewan with them.

I didn’t discover the sauerkraut , meat or fruit versions until I started shopping at Polish stores maybe 25 years ago.

The largest Polish store in London, On, Alicia’s Fine Foods, stocks at least a dozen types, and close to a dozen brands.

2 local indie supermarkets stock a couples brand of the less common fillings, from Toronto. One of our national chains, Sobeys, also sells some fruit fillings (Pelmen brand)

Lately, I’m more focused on frozen pelmeni and mushroom dumplings.

There are frozen blueberry perogies available here in Ontario.

1 Like

Iirc @MunchkinRedux makes blueberry (and cherry) vareniki

1 Like

I’m craving them now. I boil them, top with butter, sugar and sour cream.

@Saregama
@Amandarama
@Phoenikia

And now I’m wanting them! :yum: I like to boil them, and then fry them in butter 'til crispy, before topping with sour cream. DH likes his with heavy cream and sugar.

5 Likes

Steak, potato salad, eggplant topped with bechamel, beans with apricot, curry and coconut milk, COTC, purchased caramel apple pie for dessert

16 Likes

Gingered Pork Stir Fry with onions, peppers, and pineapple. Sauce was pineapple juice, soy and teriyaki sauces, honey, what I thought was a LOT of ginger (but needed more for my taste), minced garlic, ground pepper, and cornstarch to thicken. It was served on Basmati rice with green onions on top.

Wine.

And hello to the newest member of the LindaWhit family: Larry (aka Larry Bird, also a ginger!, or LB/Elbie). Timid at first, but immediately purrs when I pick him up or give him scritch-scratches under the chin. I think he’ll take a bit longer than Finn did to acclimate, since he was a stray when trapped (the trapper gave him the name Larry and I like it too much change it much…we’ll see how the nicknames play out). For now, he’s by himself in the 2nd BR, and Finn has only sniffed at the closed door or my hands after I was petting Larry.

Fingers crossed.

33 Likes

Congratulations! He’s adorable, looks very healthy. I vote for Elbie.

4 Likes