What's For Dinner #95 - the Hot Fun in the Summertime Edition - July 2023

Slices of toasted sourdough bread topped with tinned sardines or Galician mussels, a drizzle of balsamic, some fleur de sel and sliced, fresh cherry tomatoes. A mug of chicken broth (Jerusalem cookbook) on the side. The big J quipped that if someone told him he’d be looking forward to tinned fish for supper when he was a kid, he would have laughed at them. No laughing now. There are some seriously good tinned foods out there.

14 Likes

Made some Chicken Udon Soup with extra noodles! Found muscles for 2.50 a lb. Will post the seafood feast later!

19 Likes

Yesterday’s dinner - pibil pork tacos again on assorted tortillas, with pickled onion and various types of Yucateco hot sauce. And a Tommy’s margarita.

24 Likes

Pizza night. Stonefire crust, garlic alfredo sauce, mozzarella, chicken sausage, simi-caramelized onion, mushrooms, green olives, paquillo pepper, a dusting of manchego and a chiffonade of basil. Rpf added at the table. Romaine, radicchio, tomatoes, avocado, red onion, pickled beet, blue cheese, ranch dressed salad. Late lunch was a Bloody Maria and there was wine.

18 Likes

Again with the cabbage stir-fry. Here with ground chicken, over a mound of white rice with homemade chili crisp.

Veggies all from the garden.

21 Likes

YAY! Best wishes!

2 Likes

Muscles? Where can you buy those? No worries, I used to think it was mussel shoals in Alabama.

I finally got around to making those turkey ‘burgers’. Nice and easy on a hot, hot day and since the smoke was keeping us indoors, I did not want to use the grill outside or the broiler inside. I pan fried the patties ( made of grd. turx, green onion, fresh dill, Dijon, egg white, s & p and sourdough bread crumbs) and had them on sesame seed brioche buns with tomato, lettuce and avocado. They were awesome! For the side it was snap and snow pea pods with bleu cheese dressing to dip. I think the dip would have done well on the patties. Old timey missile pops for dessert. No garden sources with this meal. No pictures either, we just gobbled it up so fast.

16 Likes

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at James on Main in Hackettstown, NJ, including a sweet potato and roasted shallot empanada with toasted pepitas and a guajillo emulsion; burrata with roasted corn, and wood fired peaches; bison ribeye; lamb kofta with yellow curry and black lentils; and duck leg confit. We took home an excellent chocolate tahini brownie with sesame brittle for dessert. It all went great with an excellent Caymus and Rocca cabernet.

13 Likes

Awww - what a sweet guy. Congratulations. Fingers crossed you’ll all bond without too much drama. So happy for you!

4 Likes

Had a friend over and didn’t want to cook, so we had afternoon tea with four kinds of finger sandwiches (not pictured) and scones (I slightly overcooked them) with double cream and strawberries… and personally I always include a little chocolate

28 Likes

Congratulations on your new kitteh addition! He’s absolutely adorable <3

AND (extra bonus in my book), if/when he messes with something, you can always say “You see what happens, Larry?” “Do you SEE what happens, LARRY?”

6 Likes

@LindaWhit Congratulations! Larry looks like a sweet boy and I’m sure he and Finn will best friends before you know it!

1 Like

That’s great news! Even though I am sure you want to jump back into your usual routine make sure you don’t overdo it.

2 Likes

I like Bombay Sapphire gin and Fever Tree tonic or Fevertree Elderflower tonic. My grocery stores are now sometimes out of stock on the Elderflower, so I try to stock up when they have it.

2 Likes

Question… I have some food pics from my recent trip to Montreal , should I post here or start a “Quebec trip report”? I don’t want to deprive my adoring fans of any of my adventures. :smiley:

2 Likes

If you do a trip report, other folks searching for Montreal recs will be able to benefit from it.

3 Likes

I’ll post on both boards so nobody misses out. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hot town, summer in the city Montreal edition.
First dinner was at Foxy. Their specialty is cooking pretty much everything in the wood fire oven so everything is touched by fire.
sorry about the vague descriptions, I should really write things down, but I’m too lazy :slight_smile:

Started with a delicious Negroni- so refresh
" 3 layers dip" brandade/herbs/homemade pita
“Nordic shrimp” baby shrimp just barley cooked in the oven/cucumber/dill/lemon So light and refreshing.
A glass of delicious orange wine from Lisbon.
Crispy, crispy skin arctic char/new potatoes/sorrel sauce. Perfectly cooked and the crispiest skin ever.
Dessert was chocolate/zucchini layer cake with brown butter and salted caramel

18 Likes

I’d do the in-
depth report on the Quebec regional board and add a link to it here. Or link to your specific dinners that are posted here in your trip report.

1 Like