What's For Dinner #95 - the Hot Fun in the Summertime Edition - July 2023

Wish I had that young brain!

1 Like

We enjoyed an excellent dinner at newly opened Bohemian Bistro in Clifton, NJ including charred octopus with roasted potato, olives, sun dried tomato, spinach, spicy chorizo, and herb gremolata; coconut breaded pina colada shrimp; mojo pork tostones over a crispy green plantain, smashed avocado, and pineapple pico; smoky pork chop with yucca fries; Cuban sandwich with sweet potato fries. It all went great with an excellent red blend and Shiraz.

14 Likes

Kind of a mish mash for dinner tonight. Freshly cooked black eyed peas with sausage. Which he could care less about but my favorite. Crispy fried green tomatoes and chipotle ranch for dipping. Leftover buttered off the cob corn from last night. BBQ ribs out of the freezer warmed up. And his nightly tomato salad of course. Too much to take pics of. So here’s mine.

18 Likes

Cheese ravioli with tomato, Italian sausage sauce, parm, basil. Romaine, red leaf, red onion, cucumber, tomato salad, oo&v dressing. Garlic bread. I’m out of wine again.

21 Likes

Leftover smoked tri-tip, served cold. Roasted carrots and asparagus. An all-purpose herb sauce with basil and chives from the New York Times, and roasted red pepper “aoli” leftover from last night.

26 Likes

i just noticed the title of this WFD edition: Hot Fun in the Summertime. HAH. today in San Francisco it never got above 62 and was windy AF. Eff you July!

In other news, i cooked! Made peanut butter rice noodz with crispy tofu, cukes, romaine, and cilantro. the sauce was peanut butter, a little maple syrup, sriracha, little chili crisp, soy, and lime juice. dried firm tofu and marinated briefly in a little soy, then tossed in cornstarch & granulated garlic, with a little drizzle of the peanut sauce. More sriracha at the table.

24 Likes

Yum!

YIKES!
why i learned to put a mitt or potholder on the handle of any pan i take out of the oven because i’m too prone to forgetting! hope you don’t blister too badly…

3 Likes

No, I just have an unnaturally smooth palm. One of my friends told me to keep it up, and I could get rid of my fingerprints and DO CRIMES.

7 Likes

he doesn’t do that, as a rule, but I do. So he didn’t do it last time and it wasn’t an issue. just too much garlic this time.

silver lining!

1 Like

New line of work! Possibly very lucrative! Although the Venn diagram of “successful crime-ladies” and “people who can’t remember that something is hot” is probably two separate circles.

6 Likes

:rofl: i dunno… different skill set!

1 Like

I feel like “basic awareness of one’s surroundings” might be a necessary skill for the successful criminal mastermind.

4 Likes

12 Likes

Spinach salad with tuna, olives and tomato? Looks tasty whatever it is!

I’m not sure what it is either.

Sort of like the vegetarian non-soup version of Budae Jjigae

2 Likes

Lamb tagine (lamb shoulder, carrots, potatoes, shallots, garlic, tomatoes, dried apricots, harissa, cinnamon sticks, cumin, chili, preserved lemon, white wine, lamb broth) served with couscous (made with olives, mint and parsley)

22 Likes

Last night’s dinner was Italian “stir fry”
Hot Italian sausage sautéed with fridge clean out, aka, romaine/red onions/cocktail tomatoes/pickled vegetables/tons of garlic/EVOO/ a smidge of oregano and a generous showering of Parmigiano Reggiano

20 Likes

Have all the fun in Montreal! Can’t wait to see your foooood <3

1 Like