What's for Dinner #94 - the White Rabbit Edition - June 2023

I hate the cuts of round that are sliced paper thin and call themselves pastrami. And then people wonder why it’s so dry.

1 Like

I bought supermarket brand corn flakes which were unsweetened. After the fact I wondered if sweetness would have helped. I could have seen this working deliciously as Chicken and Waffles.

1 Like

Looks good! After years of trying various recipes for falafel, I’ve decided that I prefer a 40-60 mix of fava and chickpea.

2 Likes

After a bunch of low cooking nights, I made chana masala tonight with jira rice, bananas sauteed in ghee, and fresh pineapple. Pathetic thing was that I had no diced tomatoes so I subbed about 1 cup of hot fresh salsa and half of a finely chopped tomato. No one complained.

9 Likes

After an entirely too stressful mid-year check in with my physician (which has me self medicating with Sauvignon Blanc right now), I am treating myself to some delivery from my favorite Mediterranean place (baba ganoush, falafel, stuffed grape leaves). I even pre-portioned it on the plate (the doc would be so proud of me… :roll_eyes: ) like a good girl! I will not be having appropriate portions of the wine.

26 Likes

That’s resourcefulness, not pathetic. See also: last night’s chili

4 Likes

LOL you need to subscribe to Burnt Toast newsletter.

3 Likes

She speaks my language :slight_smile:

I “can’t even” (as the kids say) with my doctor right now. And generally, I like her.

6 Likes

I just sent a friend a message to this effect tonight about today. And that’s even with a Supreme Court win! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

LOL :rofl:

Takeout pizza and homemade salad with bottled Caesar.

Also here is the most Asheville car ever:

21 Likes

17 Likes

Probably a UU……

1 Like

Noms for COTQ and DOTQ are up - hit me with your ideas, HOs!

2 Likes

BF made a giant salad for dinner, with one chicken thigh we split, tiny little diced taters, HBE, edamame, tomatoes, avo, and various other things from the veg drawer. Dressing was a pseudo Caesar, with anchovy paste and dijon. So freaking good, i inhaled it.

![Salad with anchovy dijon vinaigrette|700x525]
(upload://o2k22pB97lV3dRWYynHIBAGEWht.jpeg)

15 Likes

It’s taco Tuesday. Cabbage, shrimp, mango salsa, chipotle crema. Doctored up canned pinto beans, onion, garlic, poblano and Fresno chiles, chile powder. Margarita.

22 Likes

Another garlicky, grilled shrimp Caesar with the last two heads of Little Gem from our spring garden.

24 Likes

This cast iron pan has been in the family for literally a hundred years, but I feel like only now am I finally truly understanding it’s usage beyond cooking a steak. I made a curry in it tonight which was just incredible. Cubed marinated boneless skinless thighs were seared before I added onion, a red bell pepper, and diced green chilis (which were not as spicy as I hoped). When they started to soften, in went a jar of Maya Kaimal Madras Curry to simmer. Over 15 minutes or so, the gravy became dark and rich-- an almost magical transformation. The char on the chicken was reminiscent of Tandoori and the usual jar taste had vanished. I’ll never make curry in any other pan.

Fun fact: while at work today I was informed that our AC went and likely won’t be fixed until Thursday. I’m not a hot weather guy. If the heat dies in the winter, I put on a hoodie. When the AC goes, I’m a caged animal especially after coming home from being around an oven all day. I had my heart set on a curry today and went ahead with it despite the “warm” situation in our house. I figured its hot in India and they eat spicy food! Even with the green chilis not packing the punch, it was still hot. I sweat throughout and ended up feeling cooler when I was done eating than when I started.

25 Likes

Salsa might as well be Indian (see: kachumbar), so excellent substition!
I frequently sub pasta sauce too (as long as it’s not too herby).

3 Likes

Our final Sichuan jour fixe with 14 eager chile heads. Most dishes coulda used more heat for my taste, but everything was very good nonetheless.

18 Likes