What's for Dinner #94 - the White Rabbit Edition - June 2023

17 Likes

you might be delighted to know that shopper’s hasn’t changed much. still has that fantastic highly curated wine selection, maybe the best meat counter in town, and always the first to get any chanterelles that pop up (with the exception of far west fungi which is now in town). i think i actually picked up this Ridge from the winery itself as i try to get up there once a year (it’s now by appointment only).

2 Likes

I am so sorry for your loss, Natascha.

1 Like

Thank you :pray:

90° on Wednesday.
Yay! Summer’s here! :sun_with_face:

:::Mother Nature looking askance at New England saying “Not so fast!”:::

Silly me. :roll_eyes:

51° was the high today. Which meant my Perfect Sunday Dinner of roasted chicken, sour creamy mashed potatoes (with buttermilk added as well this time!), and buttered peas and carrots fit right into the weather’s rainy cool down. (Plus having the oven on for awhile on helped warm up the house.)

There WAS wine.

25 Likes
3 Likes

Eric Ripert is coming out with a new cookbook, Seafood Simple, so he posted a recipe for Halibut and Mushroom Casserole to Twitter to promote it. I had some Skrei Cod from Norway in the freezer and used that to make it tonight. It came together pretty quickly and was quite flavorful. We had bread on the side, but I think it would be nice over noodles or rice pilaf. I did gild the lily a bit by adding some butter to the cod (not in the recipe) before putting it in the oven. If you make this, check in on the fish a few minutes before the recipe says it is done. Mine was perfectly done (for us) at about 9 minutes and the recipe has you go for 11-12 minutes.

24 Likes

Dan Dan Mian with ground wild boar and green onions from the garden.

24 Likes

Wow!! Wild Boar! Exotic and impressive!!..taste good?!

Yours looks like a soup (and delicious). Is it traditionally so brothy?

A New York Times recipe for spicy and lemony chicken bread salad. Greens from the garden, and homemade baguette.

I’ve made this one before, and love both the flavor profile and ease. It’s a tasty dish for using seasonal Little Gem.

19 Likes

Nope, but I am not complaining.

Probably better than it looks.

We enjoyed another sensational dinner at Fiorentini Restaurant in Rutherford, NJ, including pistachio crusted rack of lamb with lamb shank cannoli, potato cake, and truffle jus; scallops with peas and guanciale; sweet pea fagottini with crabs; panfried ricotta herb gnudi with roasted maitake mushrooms and scallion green garlic butter; cauliflower and green vegetable tart with zabaglione cheese ; nocciola cacao e sale. It all went great with an excellent Amarone and cabernet…

21 Likes

More steak, this time with spring onions and green garlic.

19 Likes

Trying it!

1 Like

Baked flounder with panko and herbs, very nice.

IMG_8318.thumb.jpg.e43913f5374c75e876138515d28fa6b6.jpg

Salad with pickled ramp ranch dressing. Better with non-pickled ramp ranch dressing.

IMG_8316.thumb.jpg.a58c590ef75507aed0e9d61a74c9c7e4.jpg

Watercress soup that tastes like grass clippings. Not sure where I went wrong here - I’ve made it before and liked it. Bad watercress? Who knows. Anyway, ew.

IMG_8314.thumb.jpg.4ae6e71f3be803d33e49fa9fc10d2127.jpg

20 Likes

So sorry for your loss.

1 Like

Thank you. It’s been a bit of a shit year so far, but hopefully things will start looking up again soon.

8 Likes

So very sorry for your loss!

1 Like