What's For Dinner #93 - the Grow Grow Grow Your Garden Edition - May 2023

Beautiful meal!

1 Like

That looks incredible!

Having a great weekend. Good freind spending the weekend. More goat on the smoker . Picked up some Porcini and Morels at the McCloud mushroom festival. Will be served tonight also . Its a gorgeous day today. Cheers.

23 Likes

Fish tacos with leftover swordfish and fixings. Spicy slaw that ended up inside the tacos which needed a bit more oomph.

20 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was egg rolls then spring roll noodle bowl.

18 Likes

Tunnbrödsrulle, a loaded Swedish hot dog served on flatbread, was dinner tonight and kicked off our grilling season! I wrote up the finer details of its construction (and background) on the Hot Dogs thread. The layers you are seeing are mashed potato, fried onion, and shrimp salad. Mother of insert-deity-of-your-choice is this good!
Adapted from - https://lostinapot.com/tunnbrodsrulle-swedish-street-food/

19 Likes

My sister and BIL came up today to finish the half bath with the vanity installation. Let’s just say it didn’t get done without issues and multiple strong arguments. :woman_shrugging:

But it’s done, but for some painting to be retouched and hanging the towel rack, TP holder, and pictures.

Nothing planned for dinner, but I had picked up some on-sale BISO chickie boobies yesterday, so one monstrous breast was roasted in the oven with s/p and Herbs de Provence. The temps rose to 88° today, so the A/C was also turned on midday and took the edge off of heating up the kitchen.

Near East rice pilaf and steamed snd buttered green beans with toasted almonds alongside.

Ohhh, there WAS wine! :wink:

20 Likes

I’ve been a fan of Near East original rice pilaf for decades (back when it was expensive at 79¢ a box). It is very hard to find now. There are all sorts of flavors now available, but not the original. It is a perfect compliment to chicken, imho.

4 Likes

Sounds like the perfect day .Cheers.

1 Like

Caldo Verde with fresh Spanish chorizo and Alaskan halibut. Served with a drizzle of sherry vinegar, along with homemade baguette for dunking.

Red beans, leeks, kale and bay from the garden.

17 Likes

BJs Wholesale Club has a 6 pack for a good price that I usually buy.

1 Like

So we’re trying to be a bit healthier right now, so I tried something new. Instead of my usual carnitas slow cooked with pork shoulder, i made an IP recipe with pork tenderloin. I also made my mexi-rice with brown rice, and the BF contributed the pico de gallo and a cuke salad. As for the pork - never again! Turned out dry (as I expected it would) and even more so after a few minutes under the broiler as suggested. the sauce that it cooked in ameliorated the dryness a bit, but crema and cheese would have done a much better job. The mexi-rice turned out ok but I’ve decided that the next time I want a Mexican dinner, i’ll just make it the full-fat way and just have a smaller portion. As it is, we’ve been eating small plates now for a couple of weeks and i’ve lost a few. (I’ve actually been enjoying eating brown rice with eggs in the morning, but just not as mexi-rice.)

This is a sin against tacos! :sob:

In more hopeful news, the BF and i started a cooking project today - we’re making salteñas - a two day process. Salteñas are Bolivia’s answer to empanadas - they’re juicy inside, with an irresistible, slightly sweet dough, and they beat any empanada ever made, hands down. We’ve both eaten tons of them growing up, so we know what a good one is supposed to taste like. And we’ve made them three times before - the last time being our best effort. So we got the filling done today, it’s in the fridge chilling (it contains gelatin so that you can work with it) until tomorrow.

This is what the finished product should look like though we never seem to get the braid that dark.

but the filling tastes right, so at least we know we’re having a good dinner tomorrow night!

18 Likes

But not before drowning in tasteless cream sauce.

1 Like

Our friend invited us over for a fantastic dinner including tuna gravlax, excellent escargot soufflé with a pesto sauce, filet mignon and crab cake topped with sriracha whipped cream, and sides if baked grits with asparagus, scallop and avocado salad, sweet corn soup, plum cake and some fantastic wines among other things.

18 Likes

Treating myself to a very special bowl of noodles for lunch today!

Shanghainese hand-pulled noodles topped with Dungeness and Blue crab, meat and brain ragu sauce, Oyster sauce braised abalone in a Bonito, chicken essence base broth infused with fish sauce Mirin, Sake and abalone gravy. The intense and complex umami level of the combo literally blew my head off!! 😘😋😋🤪🤪👍👍👌👌

14 Likes

That looks and sounds absolutely incredible :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Chickpea dip, with garlic, lime, and cilantro. Garnished with more cilantro, onion oil, and nigella seeds. Indulgent, but not heavy!

18 Likes

Mmmm, love saltenas. Yours is the spitting image of the Chana pie I get from a baker at a local farmers market. Which I will now need to buy on Wednesday….

2 Likes

The last of the leftover swordfish made a very generous swordfish salad (fish, mayo, lime juice, capers, chopped cornichons) sandwich for lunch today so kept it fairly light for dinner: big salad of endive, radish, avocado, orange grape tomatoes, and pickled carrots with blue cheese dressing. Tasty and exactly what I wanted.

20 Likes

Quieter day vs. yesterday. And even though I’m trying to sleep in, my body clock keeps waking me up at 6:15/6:30. :unamused:

Dinner was St. Louis ribs with a pork rub overnight, baked in the oven at 275° for about 3 hours, tightly wrapped in foil, then unwrapped and transferred to a foil-lined baking sheet, slathered with Dinosaur BBQ Roasted Garlic and Honey BBQ sauce, and broiled for about 6 minutes. Didn’t get as caramelized as I’d hoped, but still good.

Sides were Broccoli-Cashew Salad with red onion and pancetta subbing for the bacon, my 6th grade coleslaw recipe using bagged coleslaw mix with raisins, and added grated carrots and radishes, and deviled eggs with mayo, pepper, pickle relish, and topped with red onion, pancetta, and a sprig of new parsley.

V&L during prep and with dinner, and Lemon Posset with blackberries for dessert.

24 Likes