Hot Dogs!

Black Dogs Matter.

#BDM

3 Likes

Nothing special (a pan fried Hebrew National reduced fat on a lightly toasted bun with Roland Dijon, diced red onion, and sauerkraut) but still delicious.

5 Likes

They used to have hot dog vendors outside of Home Depots here, I think that came to an end when the covid lockdown started, or maybe before.

1 Like

Let’s bow our heads in memory of Nicholas Gray, 86, founder of Gray’s Papaya and Hot Dogs in New York City, spurring a movement with lots of imitators across Manhattan. Gift link to the NY Times:

https://tinyurl.com/2j59e42t

(the preview isn’t displayed, but the link should work)

9 Likes
2 Likes

Finally made this!

This picture doesn’t do justice to how GIANT this is. We have:

• a 12 inch flour tortilla, warmed through on my grill
  • a bed of mashed potato
  • fried onions
  • 1/5lb. Snake River Farms monster dog
  • homemade shrimp salad
  • more fried onions
  • pickled sweet banana peppers (not traditional, but they helped cut through the richness of everything)

This is one of the most delightful things to ever put me in an absolute food coma! Highly recommend. Have plenty of napkins on hand and clear your schedule for the nap you will need upon eating it all!

Here’s a clip from the No Reservations episode where Anthony Bourdain tries it for the first time:

8 Likes

I tried but I couldn’t find an emoji that would properly display my reaction to that thing.

5 Likes

I would like a bed of mashed potatoes.

4 Likes

How about :dizzy_face: or :fearful: or​:scream:?

1 Like

Nobel laureate physicist I. I. Rabi, grilling hotdogs on a cyclotron. Handwritten on the photograph: “It’s fun to be a physicist.”

9 Likes

Using both sides of the brain!

3 Likes

Nothing earth shaking and I broke a rule doing it, but I had a pan fried Hebrew National 97% fat free hot dog on a lightly toasted Butter Krust bun topped with HEB yellow mustard, minced red onion, Mount Olive sweet pickle relish, and Sriracha ketchup. I could eat a few more but will try not to.

6 Likes

Heavy sigh

Against my better health judgment, yesterday I brought home a pack of Roseda ( a local Angus farm/purveyor of beef) hot dogs and some brioche buns. Oh well.

4 Likes

Next time try Del Monte relish as AFAIK it’s the only one to use only natural sugar… or even better, chopped Tony Packo’s B&B pickles.

2 Likes

I’ve given up on trying to get good pickle relish made with real sugar. Some stores don’t carry any, and for some reason I’m not crazy about Cascadian Farms. I doubt if I eat enough relish in a year to make the search for HFCS free relish worth my effort. Maybe something will turn up. I don’t recall seeing Del Monte.

Del Monte products are hard to find and have disappeared from the shelves here. Mt. Olive is all over the place and that brand and the generic are all I find nowadays. Sux! I used to get my favorite dill pickle halves from Del Monte, then Gedney’s made them for Del Monte and sold those through the My Brands site. Are Del Monte still readily available out there?

Del Monte relish and gherkins are available at my local Safeway.

Plus you can order the Tony Packo’s sliced B&B chips online via WalMart. Makes even better relish - plus the best jarred B&B chips I have had.

Something else that’s impossible to find these days - candied pickle chips or strips.

You mean these?

I see them at my local Vons and Ralphs.

1 Like

Are these different than bread and butter?

1 Like