What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

You can’t always win.

3 Likes

My asparagus soup was a similar let-down. The supermarket only had those pencil-thin spears, and despite having trimmed about 2.5-3 inches of what I thought would be woody, the soup ended up being not entirely emulsified with discernible pieces of chewy asparagus in it. I probably also used too much broth bc I cooked all GDMF 2 lbs of that shit, so it was watery. The flavor was ok, but I felt like I wasted the 30 min it took me to make it. Meh.

5 Likes

I try to hold back liquid for that reason with pureed soups. If it’s enough to cover to simmer it’s usually too much after blending.

1 Like

Have you already tried just bending the stalks til they snap? A lot of waste but you bypass the woody fibers completely.

2 Likes

Not with pencil-thin stalks, but I’ve done it with good asparagus and have not found that to be a reliable or less wasteful method. I’d rather take the time and peel the bottom third, since I have no issue peeling the bottom two when I make white :slightly_smiling_face:

Dinner was a fresh cut 6oz grouper sandwich and a nice delicious porter to was it down with at a local waterfront restaurant

Great sunset views to top it off

10 Likes

dinner

Mercury is in retrograde (someone told me), which probably explains everyone’s not-so-hot dinners. And mine. Red mullet, baked with lemon, garlic and parsley. Braised artichokes and shiitakes with parsley, ramps and mint. This did not eat as well as it reads. It was…fine.

16 Likes

DH’s night to cook. His annual spring feast of shrimp and veggie tempura. Garden asparagus was the main event. Carrots and onions from the store – also good. My bit was the rice, the dipping sauce with freshly picked scallions, and snort of cognac while he worked.

21 Likes

“ Millstone Rice Roll, 328, Hwy#7, Richmond Hill “

Nestled amongst a proliferation of new ‘ Northern style Chinese Cuisine ‘ openings due to the recent influx of Mainland Chinese immigrants. This casual upstart eatery, serving authentic Hong Kong / Southern Chinese style street food, was a fresh, contrasting and welcoming addition to my neighborhood’s food scene!

My humble and modest lunch today, consisting of ‘Taiwanese, herbed soy marinated egg’, ‘ Steamed rice-roll crepe with scallions and dried shrimp ‘ and ‘ Pig’s liver and thousand island egg rice congee ‘ were all extremely well made and pleasurable to eat. The velvety smooth consistency of the congee, one of the best rendition in town. The satin smooth rice-roll ‘Cheung-Fun‘, delicate, fluffy and light.

So glad to have such a nice and fine quality outfit so close to home!

15 Likes

85 degrees today, Sunday’s forecast is for showers and 55. Whyyy?
I shall grill while I can. Asian burger, ground pork, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, tamari and cilantro, red cabbage slaw, mayo, red curry paste dressing on a toasted French sandwich roll. Sweet potato fries and quick pickled cucumbers in rice vinegar and chili crisp. Wine.

23 Likes

Pad krapow gai again, added a jalapeño.

23 Likes

Chicken stew. I used chicken thighs which is my personal favourite. The veg was onion, garlic, potato, carrot, daikon and purple sprouting broccoli. Lovely on these cloudy days.

23 Likes

Chicken stew.

This looks yum!

3 Likes

I just love saying pad kra-POW!

Looks scrumptious, especially with that fried egg on it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Meze Platter — tzatziki, hummus, melitzano purée, börek, falafel,
muhammara, warm grape leaves, olives, pita bread

From Dunyā in SF. This platter is really good and a perfect lazy lunch/dinner. They have a bunch of random (to me at least) wines as well.

Was a late lunch (and our “dinner”) but couldn’t find a lunch thread looking real quick. Is there a lunch thread?

23 Likes

This inspires me to try a new chain in town (MEZZEH) soon. I don’t eat at chains, generally, but heard good reviews about it.

I miss good ME/Med food around these parts. There’s a decent Greek place that makes a mean melitzano & fava, and a Lebanese place with (supposedly) aMAzing falafel, but your pic has me missing the fab Turkish food in Berlin.

PS: Here’s the lunch link :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like your last bit. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you!

" BBQ House, Woodbine/Hwy#7, Markham “

This popular and consistently packed ‘ Chinese style Izakaya ‘ offers a wide selection of BBQ skewered meat, innards and seafood, perfectly seasoned with a commendable, exotic blend of not-too-overpowering ‘Cummin based ‘ spices. Ingredients were expertly timed and cooked with the end-products void of the usually excessive ‘ carcinogenic ‘ char!

To the skewered items, the menu also offers a broad range of interesting deep-fried and stirred-fry dishes, most with a hot & spicy slant.

Our party of four starving carnivores went bonkers, spared no expenses and ordered such an excessive amount of skewer sticks and side dishes, I totally lost track of the quantity of food we placed……using a simple, user-friendly and server-less process involving just a touch of a button on our smart phone’s menu app.

Some dishes I recalled ordering included skewered lamb, beef, half-done beef, chicken cartilage, heart and liver, stirred fry clams in both spicy and garlic sauce, fried whole red snapper, fried ‘scallion stuffed’ yuba-skin, stirred fry enoki mushrooms, Kimchi fried rice, smoked chicken liver……etc. Every dish is well executed and delectable. The seasoning for the skewered meat was complex, multi-dimensional and with a hint of welcoming sweetness. The taste profile, way superior than other BBQ places I have frequented in the past!

Surprisingly, the hands-down stand out dish of the evening belonged to the unexpectedly, mind-boggling delicious, ‘Stirred fry spicy clams’. So $#%^ finger-licking good!😋😋

To round off our enjoyable dining experience, a word about their spectacular decor, displaying on shelves, liquors costing 4 - 5 figure!!..Bottles of Paradis and Louis 13 Cognac, vintage Macallan single malt, 21 yr old Royal Salute, 30 yrs old Japanese whiskey, limited edition Sake and some mighty fine Moutai collection! Thank God Toronto is not an earthquake zone!

18 Likes

Gosh I hope you had enough food for everyone :joy:

4 Likes