What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

Tonight I made quiche with garden spinach and thyme, ham, and cheese. Sure hit the spot with a nice tangy CSA salad.

24 Likes

" Spaghetti con Vongole e PERLE "😁😉🤪

Now, this is what I call ’ kicking-it-up-a-notch '!!

Made my favorite pasta dish tonight - Spaghetti with white clam sauce ’ using a combo of little neck and Cherry stone clams. Bite into something hard! Thought it was grit or sand…ended up being a little ’ PEARL '!! Cool!!
Other people use gold leaf, I use real pearl!..talk about elevating a dish! Ha!😂

26 Likes

Your dinner looks fantastic and I loved the pearl! I bit into one a few years ago at a friends restaurant, but it wasn’t perfectly round like yours. It makes you feel lucky or something, in addition to having great food.

1 Like

A dear friend had brought over some Malaysian-style curry the night before my surgery. It’s chicken thighs, carrots, potatoes, and red peppers in a nice, warmly spiced gravy with just a bit of a kick. My PIC made rice before we realized the dish had potatoes in it.

Sure beats last night’s crappy pizza :smiling_face:

18 Likes

I probably shouldn’t make a “casting pearls before…” joke, right? Okay.

Kidding, that’s really cool.

2 Likes

Squeezing in friend love and food cravings for my few days home starting with dinner tonight, a favorite sushi feast with one of my bests (who’s also traversing a similar parent care journey at the moment).

First time the sushi has defeated us (usually we have several orders past the set meal)— might have been the very early dinner time to accommodate my jetlag and her parent care, or that food was secondary tonight.

(Last night I slept straight through dinner :joy:. Two nights ago: plane food, better than bad but still plane food :woman_shrugging:t2:)

15 Likes

More frozen fish to use up. Sea bass again but this time I braised it in a broth of shallots, garlic, ginger, sake, miso, and sesame oil. I didn’t have any appropriate fresh vegetables so I thew in some canned straw mushrooms, baby corn and bamboo shoots. Topped with green onion and cilantro. I added a couple of dollops of crispy chili crisp because isn’t everything better with chili crisp?

20 Likes

Ham and bean soup from the freezer, freshened up with garden kale. Just-baked soda bread.

20 Likes

Lovely day today, did some gardening. Perfect day for an icy Tanqueray up, with tipsy onion and tipsy olive. Dinner was shrimp salad and toasted baguette.

23 Likes

Finally .Im able to sit outside on the deck after pretty close to six months Chillin and grilling. Seasoned chicken thighs . I’ll baste them with knocked up barbecue sauce . Macoroni salad , With the salad in the bag . Cheers .

22 Likes

Oh just a before and after photo.

19 Likes

I hope you play the lottery tomorrow!

2 Likes

New Orleans style BBQ shrimp again

Followed this recipe from Mr. B’s Bistro

22 Likes

Vegetarian patties made from quinoa, Swiss chard, onions, parmesan and eggs. Served with some sautéed Swiss chard and cherry tomatoes.

17 Likes

Salmon skewers served with aubergine crisps, battered courgette, lazy coleslaw and ketchup for dipping. Delicious and light, it felt very Springy which I definitely need right now.

20 Likes

Thai basil squid, adapted from https://rasamalaysia.com/thai-basil-squid/

I added some snow peas and scallions that needed to get used up too. Tasty, but I am going to keep playing with it. Looking forward to the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

22 Likes

That looks super good!

1 Like

That looks great!

(Last time I made squid, I used frozen and it was a near disaster. Released a bunch of water when I tried to quickly sear it.)

Another night, another friend catch-up, another sushi craving :joy:

Had a looong day of meetings I came back for. Realized I would not make it until my 8pm dinner on day 2 of jetlag about to kick my behind at 3pm. Swapped plans with another night to switch to an early dinner, and went window shopping instead of home so my bed or couch was not available for a “short nap” ie passed out till tomorrow :joy:.

We made it through this meal successfully! And sated. My favorites tonight were the bay scallop sushi, a crab hand roll, and toro. Yum. I think that’s my sushi quota fulfilled till I come back.

17 Likes

Beautiful plate! Love Thai squid.

1 Like