What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

Fridge clean-out. Leftover spaghetti with Italian sausage. Romaine with a creamy vinaigrette.

19 Likes

Three Pepper Chips. Yes, chips. This is apparently very popular at Chinese takeout joints in the UK, known as “Salt and Pepper Chips”. However, the recipe is eerily similar to a “Three Pepper” chicken dish that we get at our favorite Sichuan restaurant. This recipe from Sam Stern on Instagram (actually I’ve seen this on several UK Insta pages in the last week) was specifically for an air fryer: frozen steak fries, salt, ground Sichuan peppercorns, sugar, MSG, Chinese five spice, garlic, diced chillies, onion, red and green bell peppers. I wish it was crispier but the flavor was excellent. Great appetizer…and great drinking food!

We ordered out Chinese tonight.

There was a martini for me and a Sapporo for BF.

23 Likes

Broccoli stalks with diced garlic, chili pepper flakes, white wine vinegar, sugar, salt and white pepper

Stir fried celery, carrots, and pork lon

Chinese broccoli (or “gai lan”)

Tofu with zucchini and crimini mushroos

26 Likes

Yay, descriptions! Looks good, too.

5 Likes

The beans sound delicious (as everything looks)!

1 Like

We were going down the path of another round of stuffed shells (by mom’s request) but then I happened upon the 2022 favorite recipes thread and realized there’s a lot of stuff I make for myself and enjoy that the fam would likely enjoy as well.

So, Umami noodles were WFD tonight. Umami sauce based on what I had on hand: soy sauce, Maggi seasoning sauce & bouillon (for msg), a bit of miso, lots of garlic, and butter. Add-ins were mixed mushrooms, shallots, and bok choy greens (the rest of the bulbs were pretty sharp so I steam-sauteed them as a side). Noodles were flat chinese wheat noodles we came across and thought we’d try out (really good, and I’ll use them in place of fettuccine very soon).

For the meat-eaters, I made chicken thighs in a quick soy-chili oil marinade.

Boom! The noodles were a big hit (and the chicken was surprisingly really delicious for the <2 mins of effort I put into it). Enough noodles left for a whole second meal (or a lot of midnight snacking). Plus half the chicken too.

I couldn’t help laughing to myself in the kitchen as I remembered so many conversations with my dad where I’d describe something I made to him that I thought was particularly delicious, and in his usual teasing, tongue-in-cheek manner he’d ask me “who else ate it?” – as in, was there a palate check? Lol. I’m palate-checking all my personal hits now, Dad!

28 Likes

Those noodz & chicken >swoon<!

2 Likes

The deliciousness quotient relative to effort/ingredients is incredibly high!

5 Likes

Love the “…who else ate it?” of your dad. The dishes look stellar!

4 Likes

Sauteed chicken, broccoli florets, carrots, onions and red bell peppers with udon noodles and a thin version of my Dad’s satay sauce standing in for peanut sauce. A sprinkle of peanuts on top.

Wine.

23 Likes

After an absolute shit show of a day spent wasting time, gas & emotional energy thanks to the astonishing level of incompetence and lack of communication from my healthcare providers, and which ended with my hanging up on the receptionist I’d been calling since Monday…… I felt like comfort food.

Which turns out to be marinated skirt steaks from a local farm with chimichurri I made after my Medical Meltdown :tm:.

I could’ve sworn chimichurri has parsley and cilantro in it – which is what I used – plus the garlic, oregano, olive oil, RWV, and some of O’s spicy chili oil for moar umami & heat…. but I don’t see a single recipe out there that includes cilantro. Oh, well. Good thing we love it.

Sides are sautéed umami shrooms & iceberg, cuke & sugar bomb tomato salad with ranchy dressing. ‘murrcan food to calm my nerves :wink:

I was gonna do a dry Wednesday, but I believe a martini for dessert is called for.

28 Likes

Cool front came in - 60*. Tacos Dorados courtesy of ATK. Lightly oiled and oven warmed corn tortillas stuffed with a meat/cheese mixture, then shallow fried. I turn them upside down to drain. Doctored canned refied beans. Guacamole. Fresh fried chips. And a dab of butter for my chips.

Plus, he made a boxed chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. Pretty good.

16 Likes

With that kind of day, I’d take the martini option, too. Hope you feel better. (You hit a nerve. I’m unfortunately very familiar with that type of experience).

4 Likes

I feel your anguish! S#it show is exactly the perfect wording for what the health care system that we knew has become. Best of luck in this journey! :dizzy_face:

6 Likes

Prime rib-eye on the grill. Freshly picked asparagus and left-over, oven-roasted potato wedges, both given a char while the steak rested. Next time I think I’ll grill the lemons, also.

There will be brandied fruit for dessert.

20 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Cheeseburger with mushrooms and grilled onions, with a side of Cheetos.

25 Likes

Leftovers from the freezer - Taiwanese beef soup. BF paired it with rice and sauteed veggies. Good to come home to on a chilly, late, work night.

24 Likes

Patients aren’t “treated”anymore. They’re “managed.” It’s like war.

You deserve that martini.

8 Likes

That looks like a delicious meal! Two (unsolicited, I realize) suggestions for you: 1) authorize and deputize your partner or a trusted friend to contact the providers on your behalf, to split the workload and also take advantage of a bit of emotional separation from personal health concerns. That will take signing forms (and maybe consider a Medical Power of Attorney, too). 2) Ask whether your insurance has a “Nurse Navigator” service, which could also help in these setup and coordination situations.

8 Likes