What's for Dinner #92 - the Fool Me Once Edition - April 2023

Dinner tonight was basa fillet curry.

17 Likes

Another delish potluck from the local cooking group I manage is in the books (well – mostly tummies). Among the many offerings this time: 4 kinds of wings, deviled eggs and crab dip, spanakopita triangles with tzatziki, mushroom croutons, more spanakopita from yours truly, broccoli salad, spam & pineapple musubi, mushroom miso & asparagus cream soups, pork panang with jasmine rice, blueberry cake, sourdough sticky buns with bacon, frosting & topping, German buttercake, a Carlota with raspberries, and various cocktails.

Nice crowd, good conversations, lovely food.

27 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about your fiddlehead experience but I have never heard of boiling them. I usually sautée them in a little garlic butter for a few minutes (maybe 5 minutes tops?) or steam them the same length of time. Hopefully the mishap won’t discourage you from trying them again.

4 Likes

I would have been ALL over these!

4 Likes

I have never in my life been to a potluck where the food looked even half that appealing. Wow!

4 Likes

Project-y dinner tonight for mom and sis (but less project-y because I’m so lazy and take so many shortcuts): Stuffed Shells.

I almost made fresh ricotta, but then remembered: I’m lazy and in the land of plentiful paneer! So I ordered Malai (cream) paneer and processed it with some whole milk instead.

Mom is being very careful about not eating too much rich food while she’s bedridden, so I tried to lighten up the rest of the enterprise by mixing in lots of vegetables: sautéed spinach, mushrooms, and aromatics of course.

Homemade tomato sauce (inspired by Marcella but recall lazy comment, so not exactly hers) that turns out remarkably consistent here given the tomato quality.

Less cheese than my sister would prefer and a bit more than mom would use, so the Goldilocks point for our family :joy:.

Turned out pretty well, especially for a first attempt at stuffed shells. (Also, given first attempt, I made waaaaay too many, but realized that and have therefore frozen half without sauce for a future meal).

Also made some (indian) pickle-spiced deviled eggs because I love them plus DOTQ (and I’m pretty sure I’m hungry all the time because I’m not eating enough protein so I ordered a dozen eggs in addition to the ones that have been sitting in the fridge for too long and am now going to get yelled at about there being too many eggs).

26 Likes

I am lucky to have so many talented cooks in my group! I kept seeing their meals and thought “hey, what if I organized a regular potluck so we can share all this deliciousness with each other.”

It’s been so popular this was the 4th one in half a year :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Aw, don’t be so hard on yourself. That looks like quite a bit of work you put into those meals!

4 Likes

The shells look delectable! I know your family is in very capable hands under your culinary care. Do others pitch in to cook, or is it mostly you? Do take care of YOU too - you’ve had quite a lot on your plate lately. Hopefully your mom is healing up on schedule, and things are going as well as possible.

8 Likes

What? Turning down the house heater? I wish we could! Still below 20° ag night.
I was reading that PG&E has a big backlog in approving new electrical panel improvements for those who are transitioning to electrical appliances. $10K for an update? Ay yi yi!

Tell me, is that a counter top or service tray that is in your photo? I see the blue script underneath the plate and am intrigued.

It’s a well-loved lap tray. There is a picture of a basket of fruit on it and I believe the script reads “oranges”. The picture is starting to fade and the wooden frame along the left hand and lower sides have broken off. I would like to replace it at some point but I’m just waiting for the yard sales to start if we ever get spring this year…

3 Likes

Thanks @Lambchop (and @Rasam too).

The shells turned out really well, so I’m very pleased (I ate a bite to check, then finished the leftover biryani from yesterday for my own dinner :joy:). Plus I’ve now got a whole second meal prepped in the freezer!

My sis manages breakfast and lunch (with the helper), so I take over for the evening by which point she’s wiped. Daytime food is standard Indian fare, but my mom has always been a diverse eater and adventurous cook, so no one wants standard for dinner — which works well with what I’m comfortable cooking. (Plus she’s just fed up by evening and has no interest in eating by then, so making something that she’ll enjoy is my goal.)

Mom’s progress on track even though it seems slow to me… plus she’s mentally strong and very determined, which her physiotherapist and surgeon are both very pleased with in an 81 year old. Still, it’s a been a crap sandwich for her, and each day is as hard emotionally as it is physically.

11 Likes

Oh my, what a spread and that beverage looks particularily interesting!

1 Like

“…so the Goldilocks point…” Oh, so true!

3 Likes

It is beautiful and I hope it can be mended!

2 Likes

Hopefully things start to become incrementally easier for everyone. I’m sure your mom, siblings and in-laws appreciate your talents, and you’re all supporting one another. Not that it is easy, trust me, I know. :hibiscus:

6 Likes

Marcella’s tomato sauce with onion is about as easy as it gets!

In a continuing effort to lower Sunshine’s cholesterol, I’ve been trying to make a meatless burger for dinner. My first attempt was Lentils and Black Beans which was a fail. Sunshine didn’t like it at all. Then I tried Boca Veggie Burgers, neither of us liked them. We looked at the “Beyond” vegetable burgers, but they were way too pricey.

So, today I made up a test batch of my own version of a veggie burger. I ground down some quick oats in the food processor, then added cauliflower, broccoli and carrots. The mixture was a little too thin, so I added just enough flour to get the right consistency. I fried them in a very small amount of canola oil. (I might bake the next batch, though.) Both Sunshine and I liked them, but I need help with the spicing. Any ideas what I should add?? Liquid Smoke?? Worcester Sauce?? Paprika?? I have a good base recipe just need some suggestions to get the flavor right.

16 Likes

Smoked paprika, garlic and cumin would taste good, many different possibilities. Cumin, Mexican Oregano, and chili powder(s). You might also stir in some Beef or Chicken Better than Bouillon to add salt or impart a meaty flavor.

4 Likes