What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

We had a light dusting of snow last night, sunshine today. I thought the snow had gone south with my chipmunks but it looks like more this weekend. My grill is undercover and is ready for action and so am I. However…carrot, onion, garlic, mushrooms, baby bok choy, rice noodles cooked in a dashi, miso broth. Asian meatballs, soft boiled egg, Fresno chile and cilantro. Marinated cucumber salad. There was a Tanqueray rocks.

22 Likes

Dorie Greenspan’s Not Your Usual Beef Stew - with a gochujang, white miso, honey, and red wine marinade, and cinnamon stick, star anise, ginger & garlic, among other things, for the stew. Super tender! I halved the recipe and only cooked it for about 2 hrs. 45 minutes (instead of the suggested 5!) and it was fall-apart tender at that point (although as I said previously, it did marinate for about 17 hours.) Served over pappardelle, i only wish the sauce hadn’t reduced quite so much as I would have liked a little more. cuz it was delish. recipe called for parsley/cilantro/basil to finish but i didn’t have basil on hand, just the two herbs.

super good on a cold (for us! for us!) night in San Francisco. we have more rain storms/cold temps to look forward to this weekend, and then maybe… MAYBE SPRING? ETA - i just looked it up, looks like we have rain through some of at least the next 10 days. i know, i know, it ain’t snow…

29 Likes

Last month, someone posted a dish with lentils and squash and it sounded GREAT!!
So, I made my own rendition. Lentils (seasoned with curry powder, turmeric and chili powder), yellow squash (boiled slightly), sliced black olives, sliced mushrooms, onions, carrots, celery and chopped tomatoes. I threw in a splash of soy sauce and apple cider vinegar. It was so YUMMY!! I know it looks like a hot mess, but the taste was there. Sunshine and I both enjoyed this dish!!

20 Likes

Beef tacos, and Alison Roman’s brand new recipe for raspberries and sour cream for dessert. Amazing!

6 Likes

Please elaborate on the raspberries! Is this from her new book Sweet Enough?

Last night’s dinner was short ribs. I had intended on having a Korean lettuce salad from Maangchi’s website but it was a cool damp day yesterday so I felt like something warm. I carved a slice off a recently purchased cabbage and made the fried noodles and cabbage dish from budget bytes tossing in a few leftover mushrooms from the chicken liver dish I made earlier this week.

17 Likes

Breakfast for dinner desi style

Kanchipuram idlis, sambar, coconut chutney, yogurt.

(Idlis are normally a breakfast/brunch dish, maybe lunch. Family initially thought having them for dinner was a protocol violation, but there is never a wrong time for idlis, say I).

18 Likes

Oh, they’ve got stinky breath down pat, without any assistance from onion …

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t like CB&C either. I usually go with Salmon or Lamb on St. Patrick’s Day. OR Guinness Beef Stew as sort of the last gasp of wintery type meal.

That sounds killer!

Well, actually, I meant the other end. :wink:

3 Likes

That looks so good, Maria Carmen!

1 Like

The box is as far away from me as possible. They have tier own bathroom, and mercifully they aren’t gassy. Barfing … is another story.

1 Like

I saw that recipe in her newletter this past weekend and put it on my list. I will keep your comments in mind - did you halve all the sauce ingredients? Maybe I will halve the meat, etc but leave the sauce as a if doing the full recipe.

Yesterday’s dinner was a braised shredded red cooked cinnamon beef, over rice noodles, with raw peppers, cukes, sprouts, and herbs. It felt like a nice straddle between winter and spring food.

16 Likes

Not being very inventive tonight. Making some creamy polenta and some Caesar salad. Can’t seem to think beyond that. Sure hope it tastes good together. Will see if I have some kind of sausage in the refrigerator.

14 Likes

Yesterday’s cool damp weather took a toll on my middle aged joints so I called in sick today and spent thr day on the sofa with the remote control in one hand and some Tiger balm in the orher
Tonigh’s film society screening got kaiboshed so I made fettucine with a marinara sauce. I was too tired to make a salad…

15 Likes

I hope you feel better soon, @ottawaoperadiva

6 Likes

My all-time favorite comfort food dinner: pork of some sort (in this case a spicy Italian sausage loaded with fennel), mashed potatoes, roasted cherry tomatoes, and buttered baby peas. Heaven.

25 Likes

Thumbs up for the meal and for Tiger Balm.

6 Likes