What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

Stolen from our hostess – I’m not that clever :wink:

1 Like

I found SANCOCHO in my suburban neighborhood! I can’t believe it! So good. Yay.

Last weekend I was eating at the only Korean joint around here and I was sharing a table with a family talking enthusiastically amongst themselves about various restaurants in town, so I butted in to get some recommendations. Turns out the husband was Salvadoran and they very enthusiastically recommended a Salvadoran-owned restaurant literally in waking distance from my house; I had driven past many times without giving it a second thought. Tonight I went in. The building used to be a Friendly’s and I have many memories of walking there en famille in the 80s for a cone on a summer evening. It was the fanciest ice cream around at the time.

Anyway the building had changed hands many times and now it’s a steam-table joint like many such places I know and love in NYC. I spied the sancocho, which my Brooklyn joint only offers on Saturdays, and since it was cold and rainy out, went in for a bowl. Delish.

20 Likes

BF made bamboo shoots tonight as an appetizer to some Chinese takeout. First you blanch the shoots and place them in a bowl. It then gets topped with ginger, garlic, scallion, freshly ground Sichuan peppercorns, chicken stock, soy sauce, black vinegar, salt, sugar, MSG, chili oil, and then boiling hot oil gets poured over it. Quick toss and done. Very interesting dish!

I think the recipe had a disturbingly hefty amount of oil and don’t think soy sauce AND salt AND M.S.G was necessary but the flavor was good. I only ate a few pieces. I’m sure it will taste better tomorrow after it marinates in the fridge.

Last night’s dinner was chicken fajitas:

Martinis with both.

20 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was red curry sauce with shrimp, corn and snow peas. I picked up the veggies at Costco earlier this week and discovered they have fancier veggies now. In addition to the veggies mentioned above they also have enoki mushrooms. I didn’t need mushrooms this time so I used the veggies I had.

19 Likes

Turkish red-lentil soup with homemade chili oil. Za’atar-carrot biscuits.

21 Likes

Crab pasta. Sauteed garlic, rpf, lemon zest in olive oil. Added some of the pasta water, then the square spaghetti (who knew), crab meat, parsley, a squeeze of lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil. Caesar salad.

24 Likes

gorgeous, and looks like a refreshing meal.

BF made a meal dear to our hearts, both being Bolivian - Silpancho, typically beef steak pounded wafer thin, breaded and then fried – think milanesa, chicken fried steak, schnitzel – but even thinner. We had some pork tenderloin steaks in the freezer though, so he used those, and unfortunately he either pounded them way TOO thin or overcooked them, or maybe it was just the fact that they were tenderloins (i’d use shoulder if i was going pork), but they were super tough - the edges were jerky-like. Still really flavorful, and it did not stop us from inhaling this meal. Typically Andean, double-carbing it with rice and fried potato rounds, a fried egg, tomato/onion salad, and llajwa (“lyah-hwah”) - Bolivian salsa. This takes me back to visits to La Paz and Cochabamba, and to my childhood. The potatoes in particular were just like mama used to make. Couldn’t have been happier to come home to after working late this evening.

24 Likes

what is square spaghetti, please?
that looks absolutely luscious!
I keep trying to talk my sister into letting us make pasta or something with Dungeness crab when we get it, but she can’t bear to eat it just picked out of the shell with drawn butter…

3 Likes

Thanks for your excellent description of your intriguing looking meal! How nice to be transported back to childhood memories through food! I know next to nothing about Bolivian food, indeed about most South American food, with just a few exceptions.

1 Like

A Grocery Outlet find.

7 Likes

And it looks like spaghetti chitarra (“guitar” [string], I think?). My Aldi carries it on the regular. The reference to carbonara gives it away.

4 Likes

We’re camping. Last night’s dinner was our go-to pasta alla crudaiola served with sauteed chicken breast and CSA lettuce with olives, crispy onions, and @lindawhit 's maple balsamic vinaigrette.

20 Likes

Fresh bamboo? Where does he source it? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it, even at Hmart. I adore canned bamboo shoots though, would love to try fresh.

1 Like

Yes, fresh bamboo. He went to our local Asian market (much smaller than H-Mart) for something else and spotted it.

3 Likes

I love that pasta brand and always have several packages if chitarra, fettucce & bucatini in the basement :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a keeper

1 Like

Yep. I wonder if it’s this rebranded? https://piccolosgastronomia.com/products/granoro-attilio-spaghetti-alla-chitarra-pasta-85-1-1lb?variant=20307105251431&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic

The Aldi brand? Pretty sure most of their stuff is rebranded.

Lobster tail & pasta

15 Likes