What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

OMG - I love the wine box with straw, and popcorn for dinner! Totally sensible in the circumstances!

4 Likes

Have noticed all the chicken paprikash meals lately - truly a dish I LOVE. Just wanted to mention, if anyone has The Midwestern Table, which was a COTM book a few months back, they have an excellent recipe for probably the best version of the dish I’ve ever had. Truly outstanding.

3 Likes

Dinner of champions!

3 Likes

Trying to use up a mess of cilantro. So! Perch, cod and shrimp with cilantro, garlic, other stuff.

Cabbage sauteed with shiitake mushrooms and caraway seed.

15 Likes

Our black cat (we should get a black cat & food thread going here) will hijack some popped kernals and chase hem around the house. Where they end up, I don’t know but I am sure one of his mouse friends are being kept fat on b/s popcorn for a reason. Oh, the straw in the box is great when you are driving…

3 Likes

Dinner for the past few weeks has been an assortment of family favorites as we grapple with the sudden and unexpected loss of my dear sweet dad. The blessing of a painless passing is not something to be ungrateful for, and yet the loss has left us reeling. My dad loved food, but even more than that, he loved to feed people. So remembrance of him involves food as a given, alongside everything else wonderful he embodied.

We have eaten his favorite (divey) seekh kababs, picked up around the corner right after a service, along with naans from the “naan guy” down the same alley (yep, because the naan at the kabab place is nowhere near as good, always two separate stops), and all his home favorites including a labor-intensive “ball” (kofta Anglo-Indian style) curry he acquired a taste for at a childhood friend’s home 80-odd years ago. Each meal, we discuss whether this was a “good” version that he would have enjoyed, and as it turns out every one has been (the kababs last time were sub-par and so he called the owner and ask who was at the grill… this time, he must have been supervising from above, because they were perfect).

I have ground his beloved shami kababs twice (a labor of love, and one of the most-hated kitchen tasks in existence, also a blender/processor-killer), the second time because mom wanted my brother to eat them before he left, and he dutifully carried them in sandwiches for the flight. Flight sandwiches were my dad’s “thing”: whether he flew first, business, or economy, he always packed sandwiches for the flight, which he would proudly declare and almost always share, whether with flight staff (he was a consummate charmer) or a neighboring passenger. One trip back from NYC, we forgot the steak sandwiches he was so looking forward to in the fridge in the last-minute rush to the airport; now our departure check is “passport, wallet, keys, SANDWICHES”. And so, the tradition continues.

So much food, but no pictures, because while we are eating his favorites to keep him close, my interest in documenting is on temporary hiatus. Not for too long, I imagine, because Dad wouldn’t like that. He always wanted to know what was eaten, whether it tasted good, how it was sourced / who recommended it, and whether it would be repeated. I hope we can do justice to his legacy, food and beyond. (Thanks for indulging the cathartic ramble.)

37 Likes

Thank you for sharing your dear memories with us. Your family was so blessed in your father.

8 Likes

Beautiful thoughts, Saregama. Reflective, no doubt, of a strong and wonderful relationship.

:people_hugging:

9 Likes

Salmon with clementines, pecans and herbs

Based on this Bonnie Stern recipe.

15 Likes

My condolences, @Saregama

4 Likes

This is the best thing I’ve read in a while.

I’m so sorry for your family’s loss. I hope the comfort you find in one another will give you all peace.

7 Likes

My condolences as well @Saregama - sorry to hear this sad news.

5 Likes

My condolences for the loss of your father. The meals you made in his memory and your write up here are a lovely tribute to him.

5 Likes

Thanks for the great writeup. I can’t wait to try this.

I am so sorry to learn of your father’s passing. My his memory be a blessing. I know you will be sharing many meals to come with him in your heart.

6 Likes

I’m so very sorry for your loss, @Saregama. Such a difficult time for you all. I hope the memories of his and your love of food and family help you through it all. Such wonderful memories and family traditions.

4 Likes

Very sad to hear of your loss. Endearing stories of your father’s love for food - thank you for sharing him with us. My heart goes out to you.

5 Likes

I am so very sorry for your loss.

4 Likes

Such a lovely essay! Your dad sounds like a wonderful man and you express your love for him so clearly. Very sorry for your loss.

5 Likes

Keep those memories close to your heart. Sharing those are integral to the journey you will travel. Remember the best, forget the rest. Blessings and peace to you and yours.

6 Likes