What's For Dinner #58 - the Uncertain Certain Summertime Edition -June 2020

I LOVE cochinita pibil! I even love saying it! That looks like a masterpiece @mariacarmen.

Shrimp “my way” and enough Uncle Ben’s to stuff an elephant…or one serving, depending on where you’re from.

I had to wait until my daughter left to make shrimp.

20 Likes

Made a quick pozole tonight. Mostly because there was a large can of hominy in the pantry and my WF deliver came with extra chicken breasts. Used Rick Bayless’s quick pozole recipe, subbed some New Mexico chili sauce I made with a little tomato paste.

18 Likes

thank you! if only i hadn’t oversalted…

those shrimpies look delish! why do you have to wait until daughter leaves? She doesn’t like?

1 Like

Thank you.

She doesn’t like them, and legend has it I coerced her into trying one as a toddler and she threw up. “We” also told her a bee won`t bother you, if you don’t bother it…right before it stung her. That one was on dad.

7 Likes

oops…

I made shami kababs yesterday and the day before - if you know what they are then you understand why it’s a multi-day process. If you don’t - it’s ground beef and dal cooked with spices, then cooled and ground into a very fine paste (sometimes multiple rounds of grinding to achieve the correct consistency), then formed into kababs and stuffed with finely minced onion, cilantro, and green chillies, and then carefully fried (no batter or egg in our version, which makes it harder) to make sure they cook but don’t fall apart. So yeah, of course it would be the family favorite - if anyone who doesn’t have to make them :rofl: My mom and I are currently the only two gluttons for punishment in the family.

So. I had rolled and griddled all of them when they melted into a giant puddle on the pan :woman_facepalming:t2: - beef was too fatty, so the fine blend just melted. So I made a panicked call to my mom, yelled at her (of course, because that’s productive) while she tried to help me fix the problem, and then called her back to thank her for the fix after I had recovered from the disaster.

Anyway, so that was lunch today, over my immodestly excellent homemade bread :joy: - my grandmother and father’s favorite way to eat these kababs was/is squished into a very specific crusty roll (think baguette in a 5” roll format) - the bread reminded me of that.

Dinner was thai takeout - quite meh tonight, vs prior occasions when it’s been excellent.

Dessert was a self-made birthday cake - strawberry jam-filed Swiss roll: because I miss my mom and this is my favorite childhood cake made by her. Sibling gave high (indirect) praise by telling the kids to skip the fancy cupcakes in lieu of it (they chose to eat both :joy:).

28 Likes

I’m sure I didn’t coerce her, but that’s the way it feels.

:pensive:

1 Like

Happy birthday! I love everything about this.

2 Likes

Monday. I try and stick with the weekend for that menu item. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Happy Birthday! :birthday:

2 Likes

There must of been some sort of karmic energy yesterday. I was going through the freezer and found a chunk of pork - I’m not even sure what cut it was as meat cuts are not my strong suit. Then I as I was going through my pantry I came across a bag of dried hominy. Dinner was conceived. Pork and hominy stew with tomatillos. cilantro, garlic and jalapeños. I cooked the hominy first until it was a bit underdone and finished it off with the rest of the stew. Accompanied by additional cilantro, cabbage and lime.

18 Likes

Happy birthday!

1 Like

Tuesday - Lunch on terrace: Squid, Snow Pea Pods, an Asian slim spaghetti type noodle and a hint of spice … A Sonoma Chardonnay which was gifted to us awhile back before Covid 19 lockdown.

20 Likes

Hi @Saregama,
I made two batches of kheema. One according to Julie Sahni, without tomatoes, and one according to Tejal Rao, with tomatoes. I liked both, but my wife much preferred the version with tomatoes. Our freezer will have to accept both versions.

3 Likes

Two days. I’m out of the office for TWO DAYS. :::BIG sigh:::

Sugar snap peas and red bell pepper were sauteed and added to cooked penne and leftover chicken from last night after a sauce of garlic-herb cheese, heavy cream, pasta water, and additional dried herbs got made in the same cookpot as the pasta. Topped with grated Parm-Reg and dinnah.

Oh. And yannow that whole wait until Thursday or Friday for a glass of wine thing I’ve got going on? Yeah. THAT got all shot to hell.

18 Likes

As it should be!

2 Likes

Goat cheese, spinach, pancetta crepes

20 Likes

I made these beer-brined pork chops (used IPA - still great), broccoli cheese, and sour cream mashed potatoes. Craving satisfied! Italian red to go with.

24 Likes

Oh my . Wow .

After a day at the beach, we drove 45 minutes in the opposite direction to our favorite pizzeria in Perth Amboy for pizza and wings. I’ve posted their pizza before, so here are the wings. Crispy as hell, and rather coated in sauce and soggy, they lace the batter in spice. They’re hotter than you would think. Place is owned by a husband and wife in their 70s. They have no other employees…and nothing on the menu besides pizza, wings, and a cheesesteak. One time I asked for calamari and was met with an incredulous, “Calamari???” I learned my lesson. LOL

To drink: gin with sparkling wine and elderflower.

24 Likes