What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

Shrimp tostada with salsa and muenster cheese (don’t ask, I wanted something melty).

15 Likes

time for some catching up:

I started the Woks of Life Taiwanese Beef Noodle soup on Sunday, we had it on Monday night. Loved. Used beef shank, and took a tip from a NYT recipe and added Chinkiang vinegar to the broth at the table - a lovely kick! Quite spicy, as I also added more hot bean paste and preserved mustard leaves than called for. Really delicious. Fresh noodles from 99 Ranch. Froze half for another night.

Sunday night I went to a friend’s for her bday dinner, which she had catered - Persian food. Gorgeous and delicious, the only flaw being the tahdig - while perfectly golden and crunchy, the rice was a bit underseasoned. Everything else was perfect.

and tonight: since we had cabbage languishing in the fridge, I sent the BF a recipe for haluski (i’ve made it a couple of times before) and defrosted some parmigiano sausages from Fatted Cafe. To date, our favorites from there. Deliciously parmy and almost buttery. Went great with the noodz. I’d told the BF that some recipes call for bacon in the haluski and others didn’t, and since we had the sausages, it was his call. He knew what to do! Also salad with a Georgian walnut dressing on the side.

(the party pics, in reverse order):

Lemon Cream Pistachio Cake

Kabobs (Chicken, Lamb, Veggie)

Persian rice with Tahdig

Pomegranate Gin & Tonic (very light on the gin, unfortunately!)
Lisa H. Pomegranate Gin & Tonic

Panir Sabzi Platter

Olives in a Pomegrante Walnut Sauce

Lemon Harissa Hummus

Eggplant yogurt dip

26 Likes

Fettuccine with turkey meatballs (made with pistachios, parmesan, onion, garlic, egg) in a gorgonzola cream sauce with cherry tomatoes and basil

15 Likes

Just……wow

3 Likes

I took mom and BF out to Buona Sera in Red Bank for their birthdays. BF’s was last week and mom’s was much belated. We had a wonderful time. For appetizers, we shared the stuffed artichoke and Octopus Arrabiata-- this was one of the best dishes I’ve ever had, no exaggeration. The sauce had pancetta, onions, and hot cherry peppers and was just perfect. The octopus was so tender. I couldn’t stop eating it.

Drinks: Bombay Martini for me, Rob Roy for mom, Chardonnay for BF.

For entrees, BF had Chicken Paillard (grilled chicken with mixed greens), mom had swordfish over risotto and topped with spinach, and I had Chicken Giambotta. The menu said it was made with pork chops and I asked if they could substitute chicken breast and also to make it extra spicy, which they did. Everyone loved what they had. Mine was amazing. The heat level was sweat-inducing due to the whole hot cherry peppers and the sauce was rich and flavorful. We all took home leftovers (including the appetizers) but dessert was in order for their birthdays. There was no singing :pray: but there were sparklers (and a Sambuca for me-- BF had espresso). Service was excellent and perfectly timed. Thank you so much Buona Sera for an amazing night.

21 Likes
2 Likes

I’m officially jealous. What brand noodles are they?

Sounds good. You tried it? I think I would saute the orzo in the pan drippings before adding the rest.

2 Likes

Holy cow, what a feast!!!

Sweet, sounds like a great, festive meal! Don’t care for pork?

I did. Thought about sauteeing the orzo, but I was tired and hungry and it was getting late.

I might also crumble some feta over it next time. Ive seen feta in other versions but I didn’t have any in the fridge.

2 Likes

What a feast! Did I miss those pics in our group? I feel like we only got to see the tahdig.

What a beautiful, luscious, birthday feast for your friend! I am growing very interested in the olives in pomegranate and walnut sauce and the lemon harissa hummus.

It was my PIC’s bday, so we went to a local watering hole we like for its cocktails and small plates.

The Calvados 75 was an absolute delight again, as were the broiled oysters with leek butter, and the smoked lamb chops.

Unfortunately, the Sichuan shrimp – a personal fave – had clearly not been properly drained after being taken out of the fryer, so the plate with the buttermilk dressing and whatever veg was julienned on top was slick with fryer oil. I retrieved the shrimp as soon as I noticed bc their bottom halves were getting soggy from the grease and put them on a separate plate, but the rest couldn’t be saved. Major disappointment. I should’ve sent the plate back the second I noticed, but the bar staff was pretty busy.

Drinks at the gay bar afterwards, where we also split the hummus toast with smoked duck breast.

18 Likes

Everything looks wonderful - EXCEPT that amount of grease! Holy hell, that’s a lot of oil! And happy b’day to him!

3 Likes

Hang in there and keep those creative juices flowing; not only as a distraction from your worries but as anenveloping grace upon your shoulders.

3 Likes

I like pork very much, but about a year or so ago, I found that when I ate pork chops it would give me an upset stomach, so I avoid them. However, pork in dumplings and bacon does not seem to bother me. Maybe I just got unlucky with some bad chops at the grocery store a few times in a row, I don’t know.

I also really liked the Chicken Giambotta I would get at another Italian restaurant that no longer offers it. I wanted to see if it was similar, and it was actually better.

1 Like

We had Pav Bhaji for dinner tonight, a remake of leftover cauliflower-potato curry from earlier in the week. I made a tomato-onion base, added extra veg (green beans, peas, carrots), let the spices and aromatics cook through, then added the leftover veg and mashed everything roughly with the back of the spoon.

Sliced bread (instead of dinner roll shaped Pav/Pao) griddled with butter because we forgot to call the bread guy about the correct bread, and sliced was already at home.

Mom refused the Pav Bhaji (which she’s normally a champion of) :joy: and opted for Kheema Aloo (Beyond Beef for the ground “meat”) from the freezer instead. But she ate well, which is what matters.

Everyone started with kabocha squash soup (soup half an hour or so before dinner is ready is a habit from my dad).

16 Likes

I’m sorry to hear your mom is having health issues right now, on top of your father’s passing. I’m sure she is appreciative of your help. As someone caring for my own mom, I am always amazed now when I think I am going in the right direction with comfort foods only to find out that wasn’t where her mind was at.

9 Likes

Dinner tonight is braised ham, wood ears, and carrot noodles with oyster sauce and ginger.

18 Likes