“ FRILU, Thornhill “ - A ‘Michelin Star‘ is born! ( Long review on a great meal with a bit of ranting )

IMG_0004
Tonight’s memorable meal at Frilu marks a major milestone in my global culinary journey. This 10th visit to my favorite ‘ neighborhood gastro-canteen ‘ makes Frilu my most frequented Michelin star establishment in the Western hemisphere. ( Eastern hemisphere ones are another story for another day! ). Furthermore, for me, dining at John-Vincent Troiano’s newly crowned 1* also shares a few unique and interesting common threads with two other Michelin star establishments……Patrick Kriss’s Alo and Alain Passard’s L’Arpege, Paris.

To begin with, whilst reminiscing over some of my past culinary adventures, I happened to stumble upon some pretty intriguing facts. Apparently, quite a few of the iconic 3* Gastronomic temples which I frequented during that bygone period happened to be incubators to the above budding stars. The stalwarts’ professional kitchens, reputational battleground for these astute students to apprentice and hone their skill sets ( Benu, Noma, Daniel Boulud, Troigros, Boyer, Senderen….).

Providing the storyline to this tale of destiny began with my position as a management team member of a multinational oil & gas company. Participation in a unique mega-project provided me with a rare opportunity to work and live in Paris for an extended period of time. This scenario which landed me into one of the world’s most exotic gastronomic cities fortified my unremitting pursuit for delectable foods. During this time, I have also developed a fond curiosity to find out how certain culinary prodigies would perform and expand on their artistry upon leaving their mentor’s sanctuary. This, together with my passion, had motivated me to pay a special visit to the start-up L’Arpege, shortly after its inaugural opening. My action and desire, further enforced after learning that this Passard’s new venture had been blessed by noted local food-critics ( Le Monde & Le Figaro ) with their imprimatur after eating there!

Upon returning to Canada and settling in Toronto a decade or two ago. When opportunity arises, I continue to apply this dining mindset in my exploration of aspiring rookie chefs and restaurateurs. This resulted in my visits to the then, newly launched Alo followed by another new up-start, Frilu, shortly later……which, coincidentally, as with L’Arpege, were all carried out within a few short weeks of their inaugural opening dates!

Finally, to cap-off this yarn with a happy and triumphant ending. Thanks to my career path, I was fortunate enough to be able to continuously follow the blossoming of these three culinary scions in real life. Savoring progressively and in perpetuity, their non-star debut cuisine, all the way to their ‘stardom’ creations…and in Passard’s case, his ultimate 3* masterpieces! Hopefully more ‘macaroons‘ will be bestowed to chefs Kriss and Troiano in the coming years?!

For Frilu to persevere, survive the pandemic threat and finally becoming a Michelin star recipient was a miraculous achievement. In response to these events plus the addition of an ongoing inflation menace. As with some of its peers, Frilu has decided to adjust their modus operandi by implementing a much needed pricing increase, elimination of a costly wine program whilst incorporating a mandatory alcoholic or non-alcoholic pairing option with this metamorphosis. Pre-payment by credit card, inclusive of gratuities and tax, is required at time of reservation.

Tonight, our ever changing, ‘ingredient and market driven‘ Nordic/Nippon Omakase multi-course tasting menu featured the following delectable offerings:

Seaside Snacks: Lobster, tarragon salad, salted egg yolk dust, butter tartlets
‘French Kiss’ oyster, fennel lemon foam
Landside Snacks: Black Quinoa, cocoa and duck liver ‘Oreo’ cookie
Beef tartare, blueberry-boshi
Sweetbread Teriyaki

Warm Bread: House baked K2 Milling Sourdough, Sesame butter

Ground with Sea: Celery root mousse, soy-marinated Ikura, roasted Kombu

Hay Smoke: Hay smoked Hokkaido Scallops, Caviar, Lovage, Pear

Earth Apple: Sunchoke, Walnut Chicken Fat

BBQ Root: Bincho charcoal grilled Parsley root, jus, BBQ sauce

Winter Fish: Crispy skin Striped Bass, sauteed Spinach, Plum Miso

Aged Fowl: Roasted Pheasant, Wild Rice, Truffle jus, Egg Yolk

Red Lamb: Day long, slow roasted Ontario lamb, charred Brussel sprout, Scallion &
Watercress sauce

Refreshing Break: Salted Ricotta, Cardamom, Aged plum syrup

Tuber and Cream: Olive oil Chiffon cake, sweet potato ice cream, Houjicha

The End: Small dessert bites of Choux a la Creme, Marshmallow and Chocolate

Canneles

Roasted rice Japanese green tea

OMG! If there is ever a near faultless meal with near faultless service to be had in Toronto, tonight’s breathtaking and awe-inspiring Frilu tasting menu offering must be it!! Dish after dish after impressive dish, brought forth to our table, all exuded culinary creativity and mastery. After so many repeated visits, I am still at a loss as to how the kitchen team can conceive such brilliant culinary work-of-art in such a small cubicle kitchen space?!

Greeted first by simple yet elegant and eye-pleasing plate presentation. Subsequent bites of the well-thought-of food, released amazing layers of flavor and sensation that reverberated in the palate. Yes! Fine dining, with reverential treatment of quality ingredients and prepared simply and lovingly could be a thing of rare beauty. BTW, the difference between the ‘then’ ( pre-Michelin ) and the ‘now’ ( post-Michelin ) was a notable and inspiring ‘star-quality‘ touch and sophistication, added to the menu and all areas of the food composition.

With a constant parade of 16 courses, from bitesize amuse-bouche to generous portion entrees. For me to provide a detailed description of each dish will most likely end up in the scope of a full-blown magazine article rather than a regular abbreviated food blogging post! As such, I hope the inclusion of a fairly concise menu, as per captioned above, augmented by my photo array, should provide enough information for your imagination to run wild and make your own interpretation?!

That said, I would like to offer a special mention to some of my evening’s favorite dishes….truly outstanding and alluringly tasty chef-d’oeuvre. These included:

• The lobster tartlet ( A one bite umami bomb with superb textural contrast )
  • The Teriyaki Sweetbread ( who doesn’t like char-grilled Teriyaki? The sweet and
    savory Frilu Sweetbread version packed full of charcoal smokey aroma, crispy and
    Chewy. Wow!! )
  • Celery root cream with Ikura ( definitely star worthy! Sooooo good! My top 3 favorites! )
  • Scallop ( Layer upon layer of bewildering flavor and textural profile. For a barely
    cooked scallop, cannot get tastier than this! )
  • Sunchoke ( this extravaganza was speechlessly tasty. The infusion of hot chicken fat,
    a master touch! Bravo! )
  • Pheasant ( Crispy skin, moist and juicy, perfectly cooked meat, rich and dense truffle
    Sauce. Another ‘wow’ dish! )
  • Ontario Lamb ( No description needed! The photo showing the piece of evenly
    Cooked, perfectly pink meat says it all! ).

The rest of the delectable dishes including the refreshing and well composed desserts all deserve honorable mention!

Toronto finally has a well deserved Michelin star recipient! Bravo Frilu

9 Likes

Nicely done Charles. Thanks for sharing. Looks like its worth a trek to Thornhill for moi at least.

1 Like

Thanks Charles. Looks like we should be booking a return visit.

Any feedback on the mandatory pairings? I can’t think of any restaurant that forces pairings on their diners — it’s a major deterrent to me.

1 Like

FYI, I forgot to take photo, only took video of the ’ Pheasant dish '. Sadly the file size is too big to upload.

1 Like

With them opening 4 days a week and serving only one ( but packed) sitting of 14 covers per night. Guess they have to find additional ways to boost their income? So far, judging from their full booking schedule, patrons are willing to pay and tolerate this format…until may be another Michelin star competitor surface in the neighbourhood to force them to think otherwise?!

1 Like

Fair enough about their rationale, but do they execute their pairing program well? Any regrets or issues?

1 Like

My friend’s ’ non-alcoholic ’ pairing was so fun, interesting, tasty and unique that he claimed it was even better executed than the ones he had in Denmark a few months ago…including NOMA!

3 Likes

In addition to the mandatory drink pairing … Note that there is also a mandatory 20% service charge when you make a reservation. (Not sure how some people may feel about this.)

1 Like

This is becoming the NORM amongst North American Michelin star restaurants if TOCK, RESY…are used as reservation tools. As a result, there are restaurants that do not even have an electronic payment terminal in-house!
In fact, in New York, Chicago and San Fran… it is not un-common to tip 20 to 25%!!! There are even restaurants requesting a special service of around 3%+ just for the kitchen staff?!
For me, I still prefer the ‘all inclusive’ French or Japanese approach where EVERYTHING is final! Pearl Morrisette is the only restaurant in Ontario I know adopting that! ( unsure how many per-cent gratuities are included in the final bill?! )

But that means that you normally decrease your tip accordingly (to overall around 20% - even here in SF)

Very unlikely as it would mean you couldn’t order for example a wine pairing when you decide on it just when in the restaurant and not during Tock reservation (which we have done many times for tasting menus)

True! But the restaurant in question has a ’ mandatory ’ alcoholic or non-alcoholic pairing with the tasting menu…their way of saving on a costly wine program /wine list.

That’s a bit much. Some folks don’t drink? I don’t drink Canadian Reds :slight_smile:

Disclosure: I come from an alternate world that is different than Charles’ world …

In our world, restaurants (Michelin or not) still do allow guests to order and pay for additional drinks if they so wish, and do allow extra payment in-house, either electronically or by cash. In fact, the more the merrier for the restaurants.

Tipping more than 20% is still uncommon for us. Actually none of my American friends tip more than 20% routinely. 15-20% is more common, but it’s still a choice, mostly not mandatory unless dining as a large group. Michelin or high end or not. (But as for the argument about tipping and what is appropriate though, that’s a different discussion.)

Some other restaurants in Toronto Ontario I know also have “all-inclusive” or “no tipping, or essentially gratuity-included” type payment include 20 Victoria, Beast Pizza, Richmond Station, Edulis, dinners by Affinity Fish … just to name a few more. All of them still do allow their guests to order and pay for more drinks during the meal. Again, business wise, for profit, drink sales … the more the merrier.

Mandatory drink pairing may be an interesting idea and may help the restaurants’ bottom line, but they are certainly limiting their clientele … which is fine, nothing wrong with that. It’s their restaurant, their way, their choice. I am curious though … how often are people able to finish their drinks as well as their food whenever they opt for drink pairing with their multi-course menu … I can always finish the food but never able to finish the drinks, so mandatory drink pairing style is not for me.

2 Likes

Me neither!!
Actually, I’m not that fond of Canadian whites either…even their supposedly world class Riesling!
I recalled participating in a Riesling tasting years ago at NOTL’s TREADWELL. The event featured over half a dozen reputed producers offering some of their better wines from better vintage years. Sadly, of the over a dozen samples covered, I found not a single one enjoyable or memorable.
German Riesling, on the other hand is a totally different story! The one I participated at Splendido under Victor Barry was WOW!!!..from a different Universe?! Ha!! :grin:

2 Likes