What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

Beef bourguignon with spaetzle - beef chuck marinated for 24 hours in red wine with onion, carrots, garlic and bouquet garni. Afterwards braised for 3.5 hours with salt pork and some flour to thicken and some mushrooms added at the end.

14 Likes

That looks good. As soon as we have a warm weekend day suitable for grilling, I am going to make this

How’d ya like it?

It was good! It probably would have been better if I hadn’t waited until this morning to taste it cold from the refrigerator. I made only a small batch. I might try it again tonight.

1 Like

Looks so fresh and delicious!

1 Like

Nomination thread is up for COTQ - join us! Spring 2023 (Apr-June) Cuisine of the Quarter - NOMINATIONS

1 Like

Chili beans layer dip with tortilla chips. From chili from the freezer. Keeping it simple.
PXL_20230320_214607698.PORTRAIT~2

20 Likes

Another day off.
Doctor appointment and errands.

Decided: Dinner is The New Orange.

Bacon Cheeeboigah on a Bulkie roll.
Ketchup on the bottom.
Kraft American Single on top.
Bacon on top-top.
Fritos. (Because no Ruffles with ridges in the house. Also because Ruffles aren’t Orange.)
Carrot-Raisin Salad. To pretend it’s all healthy.

And Wine. Since this is the end of my 4-day weekend.

Happy Spring!

24 Likes

We left my husband’s doctors visit after 4 today. Talked about dinner tonight. Checked off everything we’ve had in the last week or so. Mexican, Chinese, BBQ, Fried chicken, corned beef, hamburgers and French fries. Tired of everything. So I decided on our old stand by since I had it in the fridge. Hot Italian sausage with onions, peppers, a little tomato sauce and red wine. Cheesy garlic bread and a salad for him with bottled Balsamic. The reason I put that jar in the background is because it’s mostly cauliflower nowadays with a few carrots and peppers. He Keeps buying it though.

17 Likes

Pepperoni pan pizza with a whole-wheat, sourdough crust. Homemade marinara. Caesar salad. Marinated olives and feta optional. Plenty of leftover pizza to be reheated on a cast-iron griddle.

18 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was vegetarian peanut butter soup with rice and chopped peanuts as a garnish.

16 Likes

Happy first day of spring. Was it spring like on the So. Oregon coast? Sort of. The sun and clouds battled all day, the clouds won most of the battles but the sun won the war. A spring inspired Crab Louie. Mixed lettuces, green onion, celery was the base, Dungeness crab from the freezer, accoutrements were asparagus, deviled eggs and grape tomatoes. Louie dressing and herb/garlic butter baguette. A T&FT, Tangueray and Fever-Tree. Or two.

22 Likes

Like it .

1 Like

An abominable day calls for an abominable creation. It literally started right after I woke up: I did some leftover dishes in the sink from last night and while washing my martini glass, it broke in my hand. It was a Hollywood-esque explosion (I’ve broken a lot of glassware, but none this dramatic): one piece sliced my pinky and a couple of other tiny pieces managed to stick into the side of my hand. 10 minutes after that, BF got a call that his grandma had fallen and hit her head (she’s fine), and literally 10 minutes after that, his work called with an emergency (he’s managing a place now and this was his day off). It’s a Monday after all! Work was an utter sh*t show from the moment I arrived until some time after.

As for my creation, I made a beef and broccoli stir-fry. There were Kame par-cooked Udon noodles in the pantry, so I added them. There was leftover fried rice in the fridge from Saturday night takeout so I that them in figuring carbs are the best thing ever. Oh what’s that, a leftover egg roll too? Into the air fryer.

To drink: I enjoyed the Dubliner cocktail I made the other night so I made another.

25 Likes

Green bean salad with sausages - green beans cooked with fresh savory (in German also known as “bean herb”) than mixed with crispy pancetta, red onions, tomatoes and parsley. Simple vinaigrette from oil, white wine vinegar, hot and mild paprika

17 Likes

Holy cow . Recovery and dinner.

4 Likes

A day like that called for 2 Dubliners at a minimum!

6 Likes

I made Rick Martinez’s Coconut Roasted Cod with Anchovy Salsa Macha again. It came together fast because I had leftover salsa from the last time. I added some leftover roasted butternut squash and split serrano chiles too. A mixture of lime zest and dried tangerine peel stood in for the orange called for.

21 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was chicken mushroom stirfry served over linguine. I sautèed some cremini mushrooms in a little butter then added a shallot and a chicken breast. When nearly done I added a little sherry, a little chicken stock and some chives . All served over linguine and grana padano.

17 Likes

We were feeling a bit lazy tonight, and since the only Greek place in town is right near the car dealership we had to take my PIC’s ride in, we grabbed their gyro platter (comes with fries and a ridiculous amount of pita wedges), melitsanosalata & light-as-air tirokafteri.

I’d thrown together a xoriatiki minus the green pepper bc it’s my least favorite ingredient in the salad, but then I ended up missing its bitter crunch.

All this was rounded out with TJ’s gigantes in tomato sauce & Turkish dolma from the international grocer down the road.

19 Likes