What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

Quiche is a pie!

4 Likes

Be safe and sane over there! I’ve been reading some pretty sad news about the stormageddons your way.

I hope s/he doesn’t sleep near you tonight. That could be a bad aftereffect.

3 Likes

Theodor Seuss Geisel would have been 119 years old as of tomorrow, March 2. We had Seuss parties every year as it was our oldest’s birthday, too. Ham roll-ups, green devilled eggs and crudités were on the menu. Any birthday cake will do. It is a busy month for food realated celebrations and I’m thinkin’…

Since I am reading ‘An Irish Country Cookbook’ by Patrick Taylor, I’ll try something from there. His ‘Irish Country Doctor’ series features recipes attributed to the housekeper character in his novels. I will find something in there for the 17th to make but it won’t be anything like corned beef and cabbage. I cannot be in the same room as that dish. I’ll probably do something salmony or mussely and mashed potatoey with Guinness salad dressing on a green salad and soda bread with Irish butter. Guinness cake with Irish cream frosting for dessert? Possibly.

Pi day March 14, will be spinach and mushroom quiche, green salad and some kind of fruity hand pie, maybe a Flathead cherry one from fruit retrieved from the freezer stash for dessert.

St. Urhu’s Day, March 16 we’ll have something like pickled herring or an open faced sandwich with ham on a nice dark rye, raspberry soup and maybe a cloudberry cake. Pülla, for sure, toasted for breakfast with lingonberry jam dunked in coffee.

Spring starts March 20…lamb roast with coffee gravy, oven roasted potatoes and asparagus. Usually a lemon surprise or coconut cake in there. Repeat this menu for Easter in April.
Maybe pictures as the month progresses. I really enjoy seeing what all of you produce!

11 Likes

Open face tuna melts, potato chips, and a martini.

23 Likes

Grilled octopus tacos, with serranos torreados, crushed peanuts, and lime. Write up is here in the DOTQ Winter 2023 thread, Tacos.

21 Likes

Potato chips are the perfect side dish for any tuna sandwich.

8 Likes

Chive crepes filled with homemade, cold-smoked steelhead trout. Cream cheese for me, mayo for him. Spring greens in raspaberry vinaigrette.

There will be brandied fruit for dessert.

18 Likes

I feel ya . More coming Saturday through Wednesday

Hot dogs cut up into beans , couple fried eggs , with bacon tonight for dinner .Cheers.

15 Likes

Is that Beefeater I spy?

It is! I’m running low :joy:

2 Likes

We had a light dusting of snow last night, sunshine today. I thought the snow had gone south with my chipmunks but it looks like more this weekend. My grill is undercover and is ready for action and so am I. However…carrot, onion, garlic, mushrooms, baby bok choy, rice noodles cooked in a dashi, miso broth. Asian meatballs, soft boiled egg, Fresno chile and cilantro. Marinated cucumber salad. There was a Tanqueray rocks.

22 Likes

Dorie Greenspan’s Not Your Usual Beef Stew - with a gochujang, white miso, honey, and red wine marinade, and cinnamon stick, star anise, ginger & garlic, among other things, for the stew. Super tender! I halved the recipe and only cooked it for about 2 hrs. 45 minutes (instead of the suggested 5!) and it was fall-apart tender at that point (although as I said previously, it did marinate for about 17 hours.) Served over pappardelle, i only wish the sauce hadn’t reduced quite so much as I would have liked a little more. cuz it was delish. recipe called for parsley/cilantro/basil to finish but i didn’t have basil on hand, just the two herbs.

super good on a cold (for us! for us!) night in San Francisco. we have more rain storms/cold temps to look forward to this weekend, and then maybe… MAYBE SPRING? ETA - i just looked it up, looks like we have rain through some of at least the next 10 days. i know, i know, it ain’t snow…

29 Likes

Last month, someone posted a dish with lentils and squash and it sounded GREAT!!
So, I made my own rendition. Lentils (seasoned with curry powder, turmeric and chili powder), yellow squash (boiled slightly), sliced black olives, sliced mushrooms, onions, carrots, celery and chopped tomatoes. I threw in a splash of soy sauce and apple cider vinegar. It was so YUMMY!! I know it looks like a hot mess, but the taste was there. Sunshine and I both enjoyed this dish!!

20 Likes

Beef tacos, and Alison Roman’s brand new recipe for raspberries and sour cream for dessert. Amazing!

6 Likes

Please elaborate on the raspberries! Is this from her new book Sweet Enough?

Last night’s dinner was short ribs. I had intended on having a Korean lettuce salad from Maangchi’s website but it was a cool damp day yesterday so I felt like something warm. I carved a slice off a recently purchased cabbage and made the fried noodles and cabbage dish from budget bytes tossing in a few leftover mushrooms from the chicken liver dish I made earlier this week.

17 Likes

Breakfast for dinner desi style

Kanchipuram idlis, sambar, coconut chutney, yogurt.

(Idlis are normally a breakfast/brunch dish, maybe lunch. Family initially thought having them for dinner was a protocol violation, but there is never a wrong time for idlis, say I).

18 Likes

Oh, they’ve got stinky breath down pat, without any assistance from onion …

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t like CB&C either. I usually go with Salmon or Lamb on St. Patrick’s Day. OR Guinness Beef Stew as sort of the last gasp of wintery type meal.