What's For Dinner #91 - the Irish Spring! Edition - March 2023

Prime ribeye on the grill. Caesar salad with homemade dressing. There were some optional smashed spuds.

Brandied fruit for dessert, and a cognac for the cook.

21 Likes

Can you believe it snowed again last night, looked like about 3". Enough already!
I got a pile of dungies today so I made crab corn chowdah. Fried some bacon and then added butter to the grease to saute onion, celery, jalapeño, red bell, garlic. Added flour, cream and chicken broth, potatoes, corn, bay leaf and thyme. Just before serving I added the crab to heat and served topped with the bacon, parsley and a dusting of pimentón. It was wonderful. Spinach, avocado, mushroom and green onion salad. Red dressing.Toasted baguette.

25 Likes

The chowder looks great!

2 Likes

What a perfect looking dinner, and especially for the weather! I’ve been craving chowder, but it would have to be smoked salmon, as I have no crab. Dang! But salmon good too.

4 Likes

Instant ramen. Penang MyKuali white curry noodles. (Malaysia)

17 Likes
9 Likes

Tell me please, when you dine at these wonderful establishments do you share dishes amongst your party or are you listing the dishes that your group had separately? Sharing all these delights must be fun, if that is what you do!

3 Likes

Does anything go together better than mapo tofu and cauliflower smoked cheddar soup? Why yes, any number of things, actually. Nevertheless, that’s what I had for dinner, and it was pretty good!

IMG_6737

18 Likes

BF made sweet Thai chili short ribs tonight in the slow cooker. It included fish sauce, red curry paste, and lots of garlic and ginger. Incredible flavor.

23 Likes

Do you happen to have a link to that recipe? It looks amazing!

2 Likes

I have been going out to dinner an inordinate amount (even for me) these past couple of weeks, but this weekend I cooked. Saturday at my sister’s i made pan seared then oven finished beautiful ocean trout fillets with a ginger/scallion/garlic sauce, rice sauteed with shallots and ginger, and cukes marinated in soy/yet more ginger/sugar/rice wine vinegar. fish turned out excellent! that sauce would make shoe leather a Michelin-starred meal.

at home, we had an abundance of cilantro that had to be used, so i marinated a very small pork shoulder piece (1 lb.) in a cilantro/lime/salt paste, bound together with butter of all things (the Kitchn recipe - turns out it wasn’t supposed to be a marinade but a sauce haha.) that sat in the fridge all day and then I roasted it for a couple hours tonight until tender. on the side, baby spinach with parm regg, and mexi-rice with chicken stock i made today. the pork was super fatty and the lime cut through it well, but still a very rich dish.

with the yet still more cilantro we had, i also made a Dhaniya chicken curry (having just learned today that dhaniya actually means coriander), with all manner of spices that I ground in the mortar and pestle this morning, yogurt, and another bunch of cilantro. After marinating in that all day, the chicken and marinade gets poured into a pot where onions and tomatoes have cooked into a paste, then simmered with a little water. That’ll be dinner tomorrow night over basmati.

21 Likes

Beautiful and I can’t wait to see the chicken curry tomorrow!

1 Like

thanks!

1 Like

@gcaggiano - yes please, for me too!

2 Likes

@Lambchop @mariacarmen

Okay, so he made this for us a year or two ago and could not remember where he got the recipe. So he based it off memory:

Sear short rib in pan. Transfer to slow cooker.

Mix one 12 oz bottle of sweet Thai chili sauce with one tablespoon of fish sauce, two tablespoons of soy sauce, two tablespoons of red curry paste, fresh garlic and ginger to suit your taste (he used five cloves of garlic).

Cover meat with mixture and cook on low for 6-8 hours. We did 6 because it was getting late but it would have benefited from the extra time.

Enjoy with your favorite dose of blood pressure medication.

9 Likes

sweet boy!
that quiche looks delicious, too…

2 Likes

Haha, I’ve got statins at the ready too! Thanks so much! Actually have all the ingredients on hand, except the short ribs, waaah! Of course, the most important part. I may try to adapt this to another cut of meat, stay tuned.

2 Likes

Well, when I am dining with my wife we usually share the appetizers, and take bites of each others entrees. There are usually leftovers (mainly from my wife :slightly_smiling_face:) and I have those during the week, since she just has Healthy Choice chicken and rice soup for dinner Monday through Thursday.

5 Likes

Yeah it’s been a cold beginning of March here too so it was perfect to warm the soul a bit.

Im so very sorry for your loss of your father - he sounds a little like my own in his exacting opinions and standards about food, and of course this propels you all into a lot of decisions and actions that are rarely welcome. Im sure its a big comfort that you are there to help cope.

6 Likes