What's for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023

Keep forgetting to post here when I’m cooking for me, but last night it was a production, so I took pictures. Mushroom lasagna from NYT recipe, steamed spinach with a little garlic, olive oil, salt and red pepper flakes, and Baba au Rhum cake from Gateau, the baking book for Jan-April. And wine, yes! Sorry, also forgot to snap a picture on my plate of dinner

22 Likes

Yum! How did you like the lasagna recipe?

Beautiful cake, BTW.

Prime rib dinner with friends. Roast came out perfectly, black tiger shrimp (2 lbs.!) were decimated. Some gratin, beans, and meat is leftover :slight_smile:

20 Likes

Serious heaven on a plate! :heart:

3 Likes

Doubled the mushrooms and béchamel (an olive oil, no butter, sauce) and used fresh pasta from a local place, and just used them till be ran out of filling. Only cheese is Parmesan. Although tasted super rich, it wasn’t bad in my stomach after. My daughter, somewhat lactose intolerant, loved it. Me too! Along with the cake (thanks it tasted as good as it looks!) the lasagna was probably more time consuming than expected, but to me totally worth it, and I’d make it again. Probably add more thyme and go back and read the recipe more carefully to see where I was supposed to add the sage that I forgot!

6 Likes

Thank you! Very old school dinner. Glad it all came out alright :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Shrimp nachos!

22 Likes

Small, prime ribeye steaks on the grill, with chive butter. Twice cooked potatoes, crisped up in duck fat. Roasted broccolini

Herbs, spuds and broc from the garden.

22 Likes

Dinner a couple nights ago: fresh (frozen) wild caught tuna from DD1, pasta with a shallot and garlic heavy sauce with tomato paste from the freezer with pasta. Also sautéed zucchini and yellow squash with onion. Tuna was over cooked - it happens! Leftovers made excellent tuna salad with Kewpie mayo, green onion, jalapeño bread and butter pickles and a generous squirt of mustard.

20 Likes

Roasted pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon, asparagus and carrots. For some carbs, a purchased pasta salad. Wine.

18 Likes

just lay the rolled out rounds on a wire rack? won’t they have those lines?

BF made 2/3 of a great meal tonight. We had some pretty old thin cut chuck steaks in the freezer and he tried marinating, searing and then finally slow cooking them and topping them with gravy. the meat turned woody and pretty inedible, for me. But his sherry shrooms and gratin were spectacular! he’s going to see if he can salvage the meat for tacos while I’m at my sister’s tomorrow.

In the meantime, Dorie Greenspan’s Not Your Usual Beef Stew (Koreanish) is in the oven for the next 3-5 hours, which we’ll be having Wed. night. the beef marinated for about 17 hours (recipe says up to 3 days!)… fingers crossed it turns out tender.

20 Likes

Chicken (poached boneless thighs) salad with romaine, celery, tomato, apple with a vinaigrette made from cilantro, parsley, garlic, tahini, lime juice and olive oil (puréed in a kitchen machine). Served with fresh baked bread

18 Likes

Fried eggs (in lard) and rice.

Doesn’t get anymore basic than that.

19 Likes

Breakfast tacos again with eggs, salsa mexicana, guacamole, tots, cheddar cheese, pickled jalapeños , and sour cream.

23 Likes

I look forward to your review of that stew. It sounds amazing but I’ll wait to hear from you before I try it.

3 Likes

I “mmmm”'d out loud!

3 Likes

It’s been a long while since I made them, but I don’t remember that being a problem. I found this solution after googling back in the day.

Check out the postscript and related comment about troubleshooting and a wire rack.

7 Likes

Haven’t been on in a while, not feeling well so not on computer. Am feeling better now. Last night I experimented. Made a salad of mini cucumber, green onions, and celery. Made a red wine vinaigrette to dress it with. Then decided to go a bit furter; so added some diced Compari tomato and cottage cheese. Let marinate for about 4 hours. It was surprisingly delicious. Also had some of the leftover for breakfast this morning - that’s how good it was to me.

Hope everyone has been doing well. Can hardly believe we start the last month of the first quarter of the year tomorrow.

15 Likes

well i tasted it last night, and after only 2.75 hours of cooking, it was so incredibly tender that i simply turned the oven off until it had cooled, and an hour later strained the sauce. it’s now in the fridge waiting for tomorrow night. can’t wait too!

3 Likes