What's for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023

hope you continue to feel better…

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

If you want really good pitas. you have to bake them on an extremely hot stone or iron sheet. If you bake them for longer than necessary on a wire rack, you’ll end up with round bread.

1 Like

so i’m at my sister’s now (working from here) and she just made another batch. she did much the same process as before but made sure there were no seams in the balls and is baking them one by one on the inverted pan with water spritzes, and they have all puffed up marvelously! Temp was at 500 this time, instead of 450.

didn’t get down far enough in comments on that article to see where anyone said something about putting them on a wire rack, but thanks for sending it.

5 Likes

those are beautiful flour tortillas (and i’m a corn girl) - yours or store-bought?

1 Like

Glad to have you back, Wtg, and glad you’re feeling better.

1 Like

Thanks! I made them using a King Arthur recipe divided by 4.

12 Likes

i’ve made them once at home, can’t remember what recipe i followed, and they were delicious, for sure. may have to try again sometime…

1 Like

Leftover chicken tortilla soup with some brothy lima beans stirred in. I made my kiddo taco mac (after a mention in the meal planning thread), and he seemed OK with it. No pics.

7 Likes

Thanks for the update. I’m going to add this of my list of things to make.

Mr Bean loves rice, me not so much., so when the NYT had a recipe for Thai Pineapple Fried Rice I decided to make it for him. The recipe calls for ground Thai chiles. I have at least 8 different kinds of chiles in the house but none of them were Thai. I could only find whole dried Thai chiles so I bought a bag and ground them to a fine powder in the blender. Mr Bean loved it. Lucky for him I made a full recipe so he’ll be eating it for several days.

25 Likes

What a beautiful presentation!

6 Likes

Thank you but I have to be honest, that’s how they presented it in the paper.

1 Like

Pahhh-preee-kaaashhh!

I can’t recall having made this so far this winter, but even if I have, I wanted it tonight.

Two BISO chicken thighs were used in my usual recipe, although I didn’t have enough chicken stock handy (meaning I didn’t want to go to the downstairs freezer to get some), so I splashed in some cognac. It worked.

Served on wide egg noodles and buttered peas alongside.

And yeah, I went for a glass of wine tonight.

21 Likes

Octopus and bone marrow ragù with fusilli (in the style (ish) of Marea). My octopus was already cooked and tender, so I seared off the tentacle and added it to the bone marrow enriched tomato and wine sauce before serving. Excellent and extremely rich.

20 Likes

I have been thinking about paprikash for at least a week. Needs to happen.

1 Like

Very beige but tasty dinner: weisswurst from the local farm (whose market was closed all of February but reopens tomorrow - woo hoo!), sauerkraut, sour cream mashed potatoes with small butter lake (end of my stick of butter, not self-restraint, heaven forfend).

18 Likes

Looks delicious! I used the end of my stick of butter in half of an acorn squash tonight! I put a blob of orange marmalade in with it.

3 Likes

OMG :star_struck:. That looks and sounds incredible!

2 Likes

I also bought a large bag of spinach. I liked @LindaWhit’s idea of a sausage spinach pizza. I used Stonefire’s flat bread and garlic alfredo, no fresh basil so I sprinkled dried on the alfredo sauce. Salad with oo & v dressing. Wine.

20 Likes