What's for Dinner #90 - the Days are Lasting Longer Edition - February 2023

Thanks @Amandarama !

I like that this is a fast red sauce recipe. Noted on your edits. I’m a garlic fan so always add more, same with chile – that’s a great idea on the chile de arbol, not just for mexican food!

Seems like garlic and lemon are two ingredients you can’t have too much of.

Also nice on the fennel seeds, and toasting them in the oil with the parsley stems etc, i wouldn’t have thought of that.

My “secret” ingredient that seems to add a bit of funk, salt and sweet to pasta sauces is vietnamese fish sauce! Not for my vegetarians (respect!) but the rest don’t know but keep comin back for more.

I hear from my family that things are a bit brisk back in MA right now. That is red sauce weather for sure! I can think of some nice cocktails to go with that meal!

4 Likes

Nah. Summer is so much better “up here” than “down there.” Meanwhile, our sunsets started with a 5 one week ago. Woot!

2 Likes

Fish sauce is always a good thing! I also have Maggi on hand now that is a nice background ingredient (used sparingly, although I didn’t use it here).

It is definitely brisk and about to get brisker! Negative temps as we get to Saturday morning (at least for a while)!

3 Likes

Well wishes to her! I’m sure she’ll be so happy to have you by her side.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your mother @linguafood. She is fortunate to have two caring daughters. Wishing her as comfortable a journey and soft a landing as possible. :pray:t4:

5 Likes

“ O’Mei, Richmond Hill “ - A delightful and well prepared ‘fish-centric’ meal!

To go with a pair of wonderful and finely crafted wine……2014 Dr. Loosen Bernkasteler Lay Riesling GG and a 2007 Dominus from Napa, our party picked a well thought out menu consisting of multiple preparations of a special giant 14+ pound Grouper, air freighted from Florida.

Our menu consisted of the following courses:

• Fish soup using the head and bones of the Grouper, with added BC clams, Chinese Mustard Greens, Cilantro, Shiitake mushrooms and silken Tofu ( Milky and rich with amazing, multi-layers of umami flavor profile )

• Stirred fry fish filet two ways with yellowing chives and sugar snap peas ( A benign, savory ‘oil-poached’ approach plus a ‘bolder and more intense’ XO sauce infused spicy rendition. The delicate and chewy fish filets were well caramelized and loaded with an enjoyable smoky wok-hay component. Juicy and moist, the result of the chef’s well-timed execution. )

• Braised fish tail with Shitake mushrooms, fried tofu atop of a bed of sauteed iceberg lettuces ( nicely seasoned with a rich, well balanced gravy. )

• Fried Grouper belly two ways……lightly battered with seasoned peppered salt and salted duck egg yolks coating ( Again, both dishes were perfectly executed. Grease-

less with near zero adhering residual oil. The taste profile was spot-on The exotic and multi-dimensional salty, savory, spicy elements yielding some lip-smacking and addictive crispy/crunchy meaty morsels

To augment the protein dominated courses with some carbohydrates, we ordered a seafood fried rice and a pretty uncommon ‘Stirred fry crispy rice vermicelli topped with sauteed sliced Angus beef and bitter melon in a rich black bean sauce’. Great ending to a fantastic meal.

As for the wines. The more mellow and placid fish courses paired extremely well with the fruity flinty and slightly off-dry Dr. Loosen ‘ Great-Growth ‘ Riesling. Embracing a hint of petrol and a touch of near undetectable oaky overtone ( due to 1 year spent in oak barrel ), this was a pleasant change from the usual Chardonnay pairing approach for such types of fish.

Impressive, smooth and elegant, the Merlot based, Bordeaux blend Dominus was drinking beautifully. The gorgeous wine featured layers of deep flavor reflecting the result of some patient and precious cellar time. A slight sweet undertone addition to the overall mouthfeel made the wine well suited for the more aggressive and bolder tasting dishes. Who says fish has to be paired with whites?

Bravo again to O’Mei’s team of skilled chefs! Always manage to deliver a wide range of consistent, well-prepared and wonderful tasting dishes……NOT just focusing on their Lobsters and King Crabs house specialities!

Service was attentive, accommodating and friendly!

19 Likes

Didn’t feel like walking to Lapats so threw together some random pad thai last night — thick and thin noodles, red shrimp, egg, sprouts, green onions. Fried peanuts, fermented thai chili flakes, lime on the side. I think I’ve come to find my favorite pad thai sauce — a mix of Night + Market’s version and a more traditional tamarind based sauce.

26 Likes

That looks incredible!

1 Like
A take on Ming Tsai's Beef Broccoli--this was beef broccolini plus other veggies, very tasty. ![DSCF0946|700x525](upload://5Et7P0NW5mv8YeM2sFgajkvZKhO.jpeg)
Minestrone (those peas look awful--it is the picture) with decadent grilled cheese. A nice warm supper when the temps spand 20° in one day (-10 to +10). ![DSCF0947|700x611](upload://w1xKhJM3tUY1Ph32U1YeMaVMra.jpeg)
4 Likes

Slight change of plans - I was pretty anxious about dealing with All The Things by myself, so I rebooked my flight for tomorrow instead, and my dear PIC is joining me <3

Dinner was panini on fabulous local sourdough/rye/wheat bread, a spread made with Duke’s, biber salçasi, and the last dredges of the roasted red pepper jar, rosemary ham, iceberg & havarti.

Nathan’s onion rings from Aldi in the air-fryer. I found the breading to be a little on the sweet side, so I probably won’t get them again. I did make a dipping sauce with habanero sriracha, Duke’s and garlic powder.

Real health food. Stuffed now and ready for dessert: Drunshambo Gunpowder martini :cocktail: I foresee an early night - it’s been an exhausting day.

25 Likes

Quick and dirty eggplant Parmesan with sauced angel hair and garlicky wilted spinach. Hit the spot. Kiddo even had some bites of eggplant (I just called it “crispy cheesy”). Green salad with peppercorn ranch dressing.

24 Likes

I would love to know specifics. I did find the referenced recipe on Food52.

The chops were dry brined yesterday afternoon, then my wife & realized it was her lady’s bible class night, so I pushed off to tonight. Also featured was coconut milk, pineapple rice, and steamed broccoli with a bit of salt and butter.

Everything turned out really nice - my wife in particular likes the brined “white” meat parts of the chops and I in particular REALLY like the more red meat parts of the chops.

And everyone likes the coconut pineapple rice, of course!

23 Likes

Best of luck with the care of your mother my thoughts are with you. How nice your PIC is joining you.

5 Likes

More leftover Peruvian chicken tacos with sweet potato oven fries. Tonight I remembered the avocado.

17 Likes

Murgh Malai, sweet & spicy Moroccan carrots. Blood orange, fennel, red onion over baby red butter lettuce, honey mustard dressing. Wine

20 Likes

Dang! I had real photos this time. When I previewed the post the pix weren’t coming up so (I thought) I deleted the post. May try again.

1 Like

That looks really good! I’m going to look into that.

1 Like

BF made his favorite - Salisbury steak with mashed, and TJs baby cauli on the side. he used some very nice Spanish red I had for the gravy, and a packet of Snake River wagyu-style ground beef, just add a little fanciness. :stuck_out_tongue: it was delicious.

Salisbury steak cauli mashed

28 Likes

My tamarind based sauce is tamarind (the block soaked in a little water and seeds strained), fish sauce, palm sugar, and a chili oil made from the roasted mash leftover from making fermented thai chili hot sauce.

Then I make the Night + Market sauce and use it maybe 3:2 with the tamarind sauce. And I prefer, like N+M, to add the chives/onions, sprouts, etc to the noodles a short time instead of having them raw on the side. Also, cook the egg at the end in the pan but separately (ie not coating the noodles).

3 Likes