What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

I’d like to hear more about chicken meatballs with Pom molasses.

1 Like

Uploading: 5FC2F0DA-FD87-4226-847F-10817D79D9FB.jpeg…

Homemade chicken soup. I had leftover stock I made for the bolognese, so I started with that, and used Smitten’s ultimate chicken soup recipe. Which I enjoy perhaps bec the leeks are delicious.

No noodles in mine tonight; I had some leftover rice and some crackers. A nice break from the rich food I’ve been pumping out for months now.

9 Likes

I subbed chicken for lamb to make it a little less cost prohibitive.

5 Likes

INTERESTING! Thank you.

1 Like

I have a stash of beautiful local purple daikon. I need to make these.

2 Likes

Pasta with last season’s cherry tomatoes, which were roasted in olive oil and herbs before freezing. A little jarred pesto on top. Romaine with homemade Caesar dressing on the side.

19 Likes

Back In The Day aka a long, long time ago!

1 Like

Sounds good!

I like them better stewed!

1 Like

chicken soup jan 2023

Darn photo wouldn’t upload. There ya go.

I know I still have my Chistmas tablecloth on. I can’t help it, I’m not ready to let go :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was chicken cacciatore. The chicken and veggies are cooked a little more than I would have liked…

18 Likes

LKK makes both Vegetarian stir-fry sauce and Mushroom stir-fry sauce, but I only ever use them as a vegetarian sub for Oyster sauce, so if you have that already I’d just use it.

1 Like

Anything like this?
https://thewoksoflife.com/boiled-daikon-radish/

3 Likes

Thanks for that link, I had fun going down the rabbit hole of various boiled/stewed daikon dishes at The Woks of Life. Gave me some great ideas!

4 Likes

subbing daikon for potatoes in beef stew is a huge hit for me

4 Likes

That sounds kind of good! I like it in beef soups and red braised beef, along with or in place of potatoes.

It’s also really good as Vietnamese pickled veg on a rice bowl or Banh Mi, but don’t make too much or your fridge will REEK.

ETA: this is also really tasty, both the salad and just the dressing, although I add more umami and salt to the dressing : http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-kimchi-and-radish-salad-218912

ETA ii: Lots of great daikon uses in Korean cooking - https://www.maangchi.com/search?q=Daikon

6 Likes

Good to know, thank you.

After a sailing trip from St Pete to Tampa and back on my cousin’s sailboat. I stopped by a local seafood market and picked up salmon as one of his guests requested salmon but also picked up a big piece of Mahi. Sides of asparagus and salad rounded out the menu. His beach side beach condo was the perfect place to watch a fireworks display after dinner

13 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was liver with stirfried veggies (onion, green pepper, celery, tomato) and hot smoked paprika . Pan deglazed with beef broth and served over egg noodles.

12 Likes

Deconstructed Zuni Café roast chicken with bread salad.

Boneless, skin-on chicken thighs, pan roasted with croutons. Salad greens with currants, and a chicken-fat-apple-cider vinaigrette.

A regular in our rotation, by special request from DH (no complaints from me).

22 Likes