What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

We have so many leftovers I’m not quite sure when we’ll get out from under them. I was able to send a lot of containers home with our friend last night. She will be eating well for a few days! We did keep her homemade Pizzelles from her Sicillian grandmother’s recipe.

13 Likes

Happy new year everyone! I hope this year brings you much health, happiness, and good food.

It may be a new year, but I am still bringing the dinner salad to the table! Yesterday’s was romaine and spinach, steak, blue cheese, tomatoes, radish, pickled onions and a balsamic vinaigrette. Tomato goat cheese biscuit on the side.

I was trying to use up a massive amount of leftover goat cheese from our holiday party, where it wasn’t really a big hit. And my older son is home from college, so I’m trying to feed him up to prep him for going back to drab college fare. He loves steak and he loves salad.

27 Likes

I love dinner salads, and steak is a great and satisfying topping.

6 Likes

I seem to make them regardless of how warm or cold it is outside. Btw, I’ve been meaning to ask you forever. What is your PIC? Some reference to your eating partner, but I haven’t figured the initials out.

1 Like

Partner in crime :wink:

4 Likes

With the storm of the century (or two actually) upon us, NYE plans had to change so decided to make do with what we had on hand or a quick walk to WF. Ended up with the famous Troisgros Salmon in Sorrel Sauce, a dish I’d somehow never had before.

But was as good as advertised even with the improvisations.

25 Likes

I have found that all my yeasted doughs are better to work with after a night of refrigeration. Your slabs look delish!

1 Like

Salmon and sorrel, always a winning combination!

Thank you… My girlfriend loves black olives with a thin crust. I’m going to re-heat the leftovers for her lunch today.

2 Likes

Back when we were in the thick of it, my son’s small college was extremely on top of keeping all the kids COVID free to the best of their ability, including all sorts of mandatory testing. They mentioned that kids shouldn’t test if they’d had COVID anytime in the 90 days before mandatory testing, because false positives were frequent in this time period… so apparently this is a thing, when someone tests positive long after they’ve been sick.

2 Likes

Buying seeds for my 2023 garden, just ordered some sorrel. Also, I love schav!

Lucky gal!

1 Like

Don’t let the deer get near it! See ‘sob stories’

My plan is to grow it in a window box 5 stories up, so I think only Santa’s reindeer could get to it.

5 Likes

What is BITD?

Playing a little ketchup :slight_smile: Our NYE and NYD dinners were slapdash (takeout pizza one night, frozen pelmeni next night), in order to spare time to prep the house for a NYDaytime party we’ve had a few years now, with a pause for covid. It’s always daytime, and was always called games and cocoa. The cocoa was a bust this year, so will retool and rename next year. But people are always down for games, down for the white elephant, and happy to nosh. I supplied beautiful spicy tofu/spinach salads in mini wonton cups, ceviche with tortilla chips, salami crisps and parm fricos, a somewhat too large molded goat cheese top made w/sundried tomatoes bottom with pesto i.e. bi-color. Some mini chicken/pom molasses meatballs, some miso-roasted mushrooms, and various and sundry other bits and bobs. Guests also contributed apps, the best of which were some yeasted rolls stuffed with olives and pesto and some cocktail weiners in a thick sweet sauce. What kind of host doesn’t even take a pic of the bounty to share with her foodie friends? Well, me. Sorry! I can show you a pic of the cocoa bar - best I can do :slight_smile:

20 Likes

Back in the day.

1 Like

Those are gorgeous! And making my stomach growl.

1 Like

Got it - thanks!

1 Like

I made mee goreng tonight with lots of veg and ground beef. I used this recipe, which turned out to be way too salty and heavy-handed with the umami. Do not recommend - my MarleySpoon version was better (just gotta figure out a sub for the generic “stir-fry sauce” ; it’s shellfish free, so not oyster sauce). I would guess they use something like Lee Kum Kee bottled vegetarian sauce:

Ingredients : Water, sugar, soy sauce(water, salt, soybeans, wheat flour), salt, modified corn starch, yeast extract(yeast extract, salt, water), caramel color, natural and artificial mushroom flavor(natural flavoring, artificial flavoring, salt, disodium 5’-inosinate and disodium 5’-guanylate as flavor enhancers).

On the side was Fuchsia Dunlop’s daikon radishes in chili oil from Land of Plenty.

20 Likes