What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

Behind again! Happy New Year, everyone!

BF and I went out for dinner New Year’s Eve Eve, then again on New Year’s Eve (both great meals), and on New Year’s Day we drove to friends’ home in Stinson Beach for a one-night getaway, just the two of us. I made us Snake River double-boned pork chops, mashed potatoes, and creamed spinach. Brined the chops in buttermilk/garlic/spices for over 24 hours, then rubbed with urfa biber, pimenton, adobo, smoked bourbon and habanero sugars, granulated garlic, s&p. Seared, then into the oven. The beach house had no meat thermometer and I’d forgotten mine, so I overcooked them a tad, but they still turned out incredibly juicy, super tender, and very flavorful. “Restaurant quality” said the BF!

double-boned pork chop Keller potatoes creamed spinach

The creamed spinach was ultra rich, fatty, and creamy (owing to creamed cheese, heavy cream, and Mexican crema - but no butter!) and the fussy Thomas Keller mashed potatoes (with fancy French butter) were heaven, though i would add more cream next time so they’d be a little runnier.

I guess my NY resolution is to eat more fat, if that were possible…

A few tomatoes to assuage the heart, with evoo and a lovely prickly pear white balsamico i found in a kitchen cabinet. Porter Creek Pinot from our anniversary trip to drink.

Porter Creek Pinot

When we got home Monday, BF carried on the fatty resolution and made us smash burgers with fries.

my sister and I went out last night, and tonight, after my first day back at work in 5 days, the BF pulled pork sugo i made a couple months ago out of the freezer and made spaghetti. i made us garlic toast using Acme rosemary rolls, butter, and my garlic confit.

I also had that big salad that i didn’t get to eat at lunchtime. So it all evens out, right?

27 Likes

I breaded some thin fast fry pork chops in crushed Ritz crackers and Romano cheese, pan-fried in half butter/ half oil. Served with tomato white wine risotto, Polish Breton Beans / Fasolka Po Bretonsku and Greek lentils.

9 Likes

I think I saw this done on ATK and it looked fabulous!

1 Like

Haven’t seen the ATK version, but having made the original version once and found it delicious but way too fiddly, I looked for a short-cut. Works!

me too!

1 Like

i took 9 days to test negative, hoping you’ve done so by now!
and i lost 6 lbs. during that time and you can be danged sure i got them all back. just a loaner. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

hoping you’re feeling much better and have regained your taste!

1 Like

Russian river Pinot . Wonderful

2 Likes

Our old slow cooker risotto recipe always comes through in the clutch when the stove is occupied and I can’t stir for a half hour. Healthy eating to start the new year :rofl:.

Bombay Martini to drink.

21 Likes

chicken soup
cole slaw
honey ice cream :slight_smile:

9 Likes

16 Likes

Went out for a bang bang dinner with a buddy. First up: a lovely Calvados 75 for me (two, actually, bc it was so damn good!) to go with broiled oysters with leek butter on crostini - very good, wish there had been twice as many oysters, and smoked lamb lollipops on a nice slaw.

Moved on to our favorite watering hole in town - the local gay bar, where we split a hot crab & ricotta dip with grilled baguette. Drinks were a Mezcal Blood & Sand I didn’t like very much, followed by a Chet Baker and a Negroni with Cocchi instead of Dolin. Fab.

Came home and made a dozen escargots from the freezer bc WTF not? Also tried a taste of my PIC’s coffee ice cream with toasted pecans and fudge. The coffee flavor is unfortunately very mild… more like a cappuccino ice cream.

Guess it was a bang bang bang bang dinner after all :smiley:

21 Likes

That’s the bane of Korean families and why we often have a separate kimchee fridge. I’m ok with the stank! :grinning:

Potato leek soup, potato chips with sour cream and chive dip.

22 Likes

All potato! All alliums! All the time!

7 Likes

Chili
Rice
Avocado

Eating from the freezer. Thank you, freezer!

20 Likes

Apparently, today is national spaghetti day. What better way to celebrate than with extra-garlicky black tiger shrimp scampi over spinach linguine. I added a few cherry tomatoes to burst for sweetness. Salad on the side, natch.

22 Likes

Dinner tonight, from COTM Mexican Everyday, by Rick Bayless : Achiote rubbed salmon with roasted tomato salsa and green beans. Tortillas and pickled red onions too, for taco making. Delicious!

23 Likes

Nice one! Nice place.

1 Like

I have some Daikon pickle in a Ball jar with one of their plastic screw caps, and it really helps!

1 Like

Last night I made Nürnburger Bratwurst and onions roasted over curried baked beans, with the last of the red cabbage, cheesy broccoli/cauliflower, and pretzel thins with port wine cheese spread.

23 Likes