What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

Sorry, you’ll have to find someone else to pick up the slack. At least for this week, we’ll see how it goes.

1 Like

We shared 2 steaks to do a taste test: a Prime grade rib eye and a Prim grade T-Bone. Those steaks were tough! Have never had a tough cut of Prime grade beef before. We were so upset. Expensive and tough! Think I am going to call the store about it.

4 Likes

Wish you both a full recovery. My wife had covid after three vaccinations. It was a mild case and lasted less than a week.

2 Likes

I admire your discipline! :smiley:

1 Like

Feel better! I have a friend who’s been testing positive a LONG time as well… it’s very curious.

Forgot to take a photo tonight:

Grilled apple sausages
Green beans
Cole slaw
For mom: “Asian” sweet potato

9 Likes

Easy dinner tonight: half of the pork loin roast was sliced up for pork stroganoff. Served on wide egg noodles with peas and paprika on top. Because that’s the way I roll.

And since it’s virtual Sunday, I had a glass of wine.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/making-the-most-of-leftovers-stroganoff-91298

19 Likes

Dinner tonight are two recipes, courtesy of More Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless (one of the COTM this month):

These are excellent and there are leftovers for tomorrow!

26 Likes

I could not be bothered to start on my resolution to try a new recipe today, so a casa lingua favorite WFD: the NYT Trini-Chinese chicken and NYT stir-fried bok choy. Love the flavors, and everything had a nice heat to it.

The chicken, while delicious, isn’t nearly as photogenic as the bok choy, so that’s all I gots for yinz.

24 Likes

Tonight I turned the last of the scalloped potatoes into chowder with celery, onions, and carrots. We wilted in some baby spinach just before serving. Brined sauteed chicken tenders and leftover green beans on the side.

24 Likes

Our favorite cabbage stir-fry, tonight with ground chicken thighs, carrots, and scallions.

Served over steamed rice with a homemade chili crisp.

Cabbage and carrots from the garden.

23 Likes

DH wanted Buffalo wings for his birthday, so Buffalo wings we had. Bonus Velveeta-Rotel queso on the side. He was thrilled to be able to taste anything! I think the copious salt and vinegar/tangy flavors in both helped, but our taste buds do seem to be returning to normal. Finally!

22 Likes

50¢ a box in 1966 and there wre three choices: Thin Mints, Trefoils and the peanut butter ones now called Dosidos. Thin Mints never last around here and didn’t even BITD. Things sure have changed in the Girl Scout organization.

5 Likes

@MunchkinRedux’s delightfully delicious chicken and spinach meatballs with orzo. The meatballs are sooo moist. Greek salad with creamy feta dressing. No, that is not gin, 'tis ice water.

25 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a ham steak and an artichoke salad.

16 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was homemade pizza with onions, mushrooms, black olives and mozzarella cheese. I made one with thin crust for Sunshine and thick crust for me. I’ve learned to make the pizza dough a day in advance, which makes for a better end result.

27 Likes

Sirloin, roasted potato wedges, carrots with butter and lime zest (try it sometime). Satisfying.

Stoli Martini to drink. I’m off tomorrow.

29 Likes

Potato and Cabbage Stew with coriander-spiced vegetable broth and “meatballs” (made from fresh Italian pork sausage, paprika and dried tomatoes). Served with sour cream mixed with parsley, chives and mustard

15 Likes

Hello and happy new year, WFD folks!

We’ve been eating a ton (as usual for when the whole family is together) but somehow there’s rarely a pause to photograph or energy to post later in all the hubbub.

Vicariously enjoyed everyone’s festive meals, libations, and stories, so thank you for sharing.

Wishing you all good health, good eating, togetherness, peace, and plenty of fun for the new year!

18 Likes

Roast beef sandwich, potato chips with sour cream and chive dip.

24 Likes