What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

By eating fried, refried, spicy, heavy, and entirely too much food.

1 Like

:frowning:
Hope you enjoyed while it lasted :wink:

What did me in was entirely avoidable and totally not worth this outcome! Really annoying, because it means I can’t eat the things I actually wanted to before I leave.

3 Likes

I love all cats, especially mackerel tabbies with their agouti fur.

5 Likes

CNY (Chinese New Year) dinner.

The soup: 2 types of fish maw, white fungus, scallops, abalone, quail egg, pork spareribs and mushrooms. An auspicious start to the New Year of the Rabbit.

Morels with pork stuffing, steamed with egg.

Vegetable dish: Wood ear, celery and cordycep flowers.

Roast duck.

String beans with beef.

Our house guests just came back with some dungeness crabs fresh off the boat. This year is off to a good start.

22 Likes

17 Likes

Saucy!

A HAPPY & PROSPEROUS ’ YEAR OF THE RABBIT ’ TO ALL!!

Making some minor modification to the CNY custom by adding some non-traditional dishes to our traditional CNY dinner gathering tonight!

…gorgeous addition of some rare, seasonal ’ Hotaru-Ika ’ aka Japanese Fire-Fly to one of the sashimi platter from " Cho-San "

19 Likes

Oops! Typo!!.." Fire-fly SQUID " not ’ Fire-Fly '!! :rofl: :rofl:

Incredible! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Tonight we had chicken potstickers, ma la broccoli with a Sriracha aioli, and Korean scallion pancake. Tasty and easy.

22 Likes

Garganelli pasta, broccoli florets, sundried tomatoes, and sauteed and browned little sausage balls squozen from a couple of sweet Italian sausages with a white wine cream sauce. Needed more sundried tomatoes but still good.

Thick slice of very lightly toasted and buttered sourdough bread and wine alongside.

24 Likes

Easy peasy sesame noodles tonight with a bunch of different veg pieces and some pieces of cooked chicken breast from the freezer is the plan. Mandarin orange sorbet, maybe.

9 Likes

Delicious weisswurst from the local farm, sour cream mashed potatoes with butter lake, roasted carrots, brussels, baby bels and red onion.

22 Likes

IMG_0996

Smitten Kitchen’s soy glazed chicken.

New recipe for me. A little bland, so I hit it with some Momofuku chili crisp.

20 Likes

Chicken (thigh) paprikash, which for some reason isn’t nearly as red as I’d expected (nor as pretty as @Cristina’s recent version), considering the ample amounts of hot Hungarian paprika I added. Oh, well. It was delish nonetheless and a great way of using up some shrooms and red & green peppers leftover from last night’s lame pizza. Salad on the side bc of course there’s salad on the side, silly!

18 Likes

Chicken flautas with flour tortillas. Never had much luck with corn. He made pinto/borracho beans. Cubed salt pork sautéed with onions added a lot of flavor since we didn’t have any leftover brisket. Extra stuff for him to add on the side. Fresh fried corn and flour tortilla chips. Avocados weren’t ripe yet, so no guac. That’s it.

18 Likes

I honor of Lunar New Year we had a pan-Asain dinner. Red braised pork belly in homemade bao buns with cilantro. Cumin lamb over rice - I used ground lamb as I had a package in the freezer to use up, Kimchi pancake and steamed bok choy sum. Best part is there will be plenty for dinner tomorrow night too.

28 Likes

Had a chance to pick up local fresh dungies, steamed plain is how we roll! Have never seen so much crab “butter”, these guys were right out of the sea, might be the best ever…

22 Likes

I saw a joke about avocados. “Can’t meet you tonight for a drink, because I have an avocado that is going to be ripe between 6:15 and 6:30.”

9 Likes