What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

All of that looks absolutely delicious!

1 Like

We enjoyed another sensational dinner at Fiorentini in Rutherford, NJ including gnocchi stuffed caccio e pepe with mussels; short ribs agnolotti; red snapper; short ribs with an awesome onion foam; salumi. It all went great with an excellent Amarone and Malbec.

13 Likes

Thank you! Enough leftovers for another dinner, too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

They last at least a week if you put them in the fridge once they’re ripe. I always buy unripe ones and leave them on the windowsill to ripen.

2 Likes

Filet of Wagyu beef on the grill. Romaine with Caesar dressing.

There will be brandied fruit for dessert.

20 Likes

Made Just One Cookbook’s Baked Katsudon tonight. I’m not sure why i baked it, other than the recipe called for it, because it wasn’t faster than frying, tho i guess less cleanup. In any case, I let the eggs cook too long! they’re supposed to be just barely set, as in another favorite dish i’ve made, oyakodon. and it could have used more of the sauce (dashi, mirin, soy, sake, & sugar). But other than that, it was a very homey dish on a chilly night. and despite it taking longer to bake the pork cutlets, they turned out perfectly crispy. Onions simmer in the broth, sliced cutlet goes on top, beaten egg gets poured over to steam, and the whole thing gets plopped on short grain rice. Topped with scallions and ichimi togarashi.

21 Likes

Tonight dinner was tilapia poached in a tomato sauce with black olives and capers, roasted veggies on thecside (delicata squash , zucchini and red onion):

13 Likes

I had an appointment in Crescent City this morning, so it was a long stressful day. Frozen egg rolls and pot stickers to the rescue for Lunar New Year dinner. Made a soup with the pot stickers, garlic and ginger sauteed in sesame oil, chicken broth, soy sauce, carrots, spinach, green onion. Chile crisp was added later to give it some oomph. Hot mustard with the egg rolls.
Yay 49ers won!!!

22 Likes

what’s with the tangueray ?

1 Like

It was cheaper than the Beefeater and it’s been ages since I’ve had Tangueray, so I thought I would give it a try. It will not replace my Beefeater.

5 Likes

I have successfully put one in a brown paper bag with an apple and had it ripen without rotting. I don’t buy them often but I love them. I live in New England, so they are not grown here. As a correlate to ripening fruits, DH & I went on our first cruise to the Caribbean at the start of 2020 and took a cooking class on the French side of Sint Maarten. One of the recipes we learned involved mangos. At one point I asked the chef how he knew when a mango is ripe and he said “I never know, I just always buy 6 of them” LOL.

8 Likes

Minimal effort dinner: tuna broccoli pasta salad, leftover sunchoke soup with leftover smoked trout.

14 Likes

I just leave them out on the sill & wait.

Crab, arugula salad and bread. The simple life.

Had lunch at Scoma’s in SF fisherman’s wharf yesterday. Two boats had just pulled in with fresh caught dungies. Our houseguests wanted to take some home, but decided to wait til this morning to pick up some super-fresh overnight caught crabbies. At the crack of 7am, they ventured forth, and gifted us a fresh off the boat specimen.

Simple simple dinner.

The crab butter was magnificient!!! Crab knuckles (armpits??) were bursting with meat. We’ll get to to the legs and claws tomorrow.

21 Likes

Because I feel like getting angry, what does a nice big crab like that cost where you are? I would pay about $35-$50 here in Manhattan, from a fish market. Way more from a restaurant.

Market price at this time seems to be about +/- $10/lb. A big crab would be about 2.5lbs, but average is around 2#, so you’re looking at about $20 per crab.

We like the 50 miles down the coast to Half Moon Bay for fresh seafood, but these boats are literally 20 minutes walk from our front door. Shaves a bit off the cost per crab.

BTW, whole crab at Scoma’s, 30 feet from the boat, was $49 per crab. Not quite the industry standard 30% food cost %.

12 Likes

I don’t think anyone here eats more Chinese/Asian than my BF and I, but somehow it slipped our mind that it was Lunar New Year.

Instead, we had the Puerto Rican classic Carne Guisada which he prepared. It was a great night for it-- cold and rainy.

While @BeefeaterRocks did not have Beefeater tonight, I had it covered with a Beefeater Martini.

20 Likes

Doesn’t look particularly photogenic but quite tasty - lentil, hardboiled eggs and winter root vegetables (carrots, celeriac and rutabaga) pie (sauce made with diced tomatoes, red wine, vegetable broth, thyme, tomato paste, onion, garlic) with potato and sweet potato mash (with egg yolk and cheddar)

13 Likes

Bless you.

4 Likes

I am adding to the “What are you coveting…” thread, Dungeness Crab.

3 Likes