What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

I 've always used the same recipe as @lectroid’s grandma, but with velveeta and sharp cheddar.

1 Like

Another glamorous dinner tonight at our house. Cooked some chicken breasts today. Half used for chicken salad with chopped apple, dill pickle, jalapeño, Dukes mayonnaise and a little s&p. Lay’s potato chips of course.
Also baked a loaf of hand kneaded bread. I’ve given up on telling my husband NOT to cut hot bread. He’s literally standing by the oven with a serrated knife in his hand.:slightly_smiling_face:

22 Likes

LOL. My aunt used to make homemade bread when she visited. She quickly learned that the pinched corners were me. :::innocent until proven guilty, which I was:::

5 Likes

Craving a salad on a chilly day. :woman_shrugging:

Little leaf lettuce
Baby spinach
Grated carrots
Sliced cukes and radishes
Quartered hard-boiled eggs
Quartered Backyard Farms cocktail tomatoes (Maine grown…love getting vine-ripened tomatoes in the winter!)
Crumbled bacon
Goat cheese
Minced red onion
Candied walnuts
Target’s Honey-Mustard Dressing

Tangy, salty, sweet, & crunchy. :+1:

There was wine. Also :+1:

29 Likes

We’'ve already opened the wine…DH made a batch of Zuppa Toscano - it’s a longtime fave. The only modification we make is adding the spinach to the soup as it cooks and adding the cream to our individual bowls. We buy a bag of baby spinach, add a handful of it into our bowls and ladle the hot soup on top. The spinach retains some texture. We get 4 generous main dish servings from this. Some people substitute kale, which neither of us enjoys.

16 Likes

Somehow that does not make me keen to try it, but I’ll trust your judgment.

Well bless your heart - thank you…

1 Like

I’ve never had Plombir AFAIK. What I can say is that this tastes like what I call “sweet cream” ice cream–just milk, cream and sugar. It’s also less sweet than many American made ice creams which appeals to my palate. When I was a teenager, there was a soda fountain across the street from my high school (Dewar’s, Bakersfield) that served ice milk and I loved that. (They’re still around–try the peppermint stick if you’re in the vicinity)

4 Likes

Tuna melt on bakery sourdough with a sharp white cheddar cheese. Greens in vinaigrette.

23 Likes

It was one of those days when I spend so much time shopping and thinking about what I was going to eat and getting my ducks in a row for dinner that by the time I actually had food in front of me, I wasn’t even that hungry. I ate anyway, though. I started with a Jersey Lightning (brandy, sweet vermouth, lime juice). I bought brandy in case I wanted to make some mulled wine, but apparently what I want to do with brandy is just start drinking it.

IMG_6228

Seaweed salad. I’ve never make this at home before, but I figured how hard could it be? Not hard, but you have to rinse the hell out of the seaweed, and blanch it, and then rinse it again, so it stops stinking like low tide. With rice vinegar, dashi, soy sauce, sesame seeds and daikon.

IMG_6233

And a big bowl of soup, the quest for which was what got me out of the house in the first place. Sundry fish balls and cakes, squid, half-cooked egg, bean sprouts, chestnut mushrooms, bok choy and fresh tofu from Fong On.

IMG_6231

19 Likes

We ate at Harvest local seasonal kitchen in Farmingdale, NJ . We had an awesome pork chop au poivre; crabmeat stuffed fluke; creamy spinach and artichoke flatbread, and shrimp oreganata. It all went great with an excellent red blend and malbec.

14 Likes

Take-out Lomo Saltado tonight

16 Likes

Some cold snacks to ring in the Lunar New Year. Marinated beef (with chinkiang vinegar for dipping), Drunken Chicken, fried peanuts, preserved duck egg and tangerines. Second photo is a shout out for those who celebrate the Vietnamese New Year.

27 Likes

Half of a humungus blsl chicken breast, pounded thin and layered with spinach and grated swiss. Rolled and wrapped in bacon, then seared in a skillet with bacon grease and finished in the oven. Sauce made with pan drippings, cream and whole grain mustard. Rice and a salad of lettuces, tomatoes, green onion, oo & bv dressing. Manhattan and wine.

25 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was pasta with pearl onions and cherry tomatoes and garnished with basil

18 Likes

Great-looking naan! Homemade?

1 Like

I recently made a version of this (no recipe) for the first time, and it’s def going into rotation. Such a satisfying, delicious soup, and so easy to throw together!

4 Likes

My uncle loves making that soup. His recipe is also a copycat recipe. He makes it for company.

I haven’t gotten around to making it.

1 Like

Worst timing ever on throwing my stomach out for no good reason. So, the meal plans for the next few days got flushed (ha) and I’m on simple fare.

Dinner tonight was just dad and me, so we had Scotch Broth (a childhood and continuing favorite) from the only steak restaurant that existed when I was young.

I made cheesetoast for dad to accompany the soup, and had plain toast myself.

Could have eaten a vat of the soup, but since I’m chasing every bite with probiotics and assorted other tummy aids, I had half a serving and stopped.

16 Likes

How does one throw out one’s stomach?