What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

Frito Scoops are soooo much better than those flimsy little Fritos Chips. …“Munch, munch, munch a bunch of Fritos Corn Chips!” :notes:

5 Likes

At my request, BF made beef au jus sammies with TJ’s shaved beef pan fried in butter, provolone, grilled onions, rosemary roll for me, brioche toast for him. Jus not pictured but it was delicious - just beef bouillon cubes that he simmered in water, onion and shallots, s&p, worcestershire, a little sherry. His potato salad on the side, too, with capers and shallots, that i mostly ignored because the sandwich was so good and just too much.

27 Likes

Spicy shrimp tacos on homemade flour tortillas, with mashed avo, shredded cabbage and sriracha mayo. Refried black beans and red rice on the side (rice didn’t make the photo).

24 Likes

NY Strip smeared with minced garlic and spices that developed a nice char in cast iron though I did unfortunately overcook it to medium-well :disappointed_relieved:. Served over polenta with roasted cherry tomatoes which really made all the difference.

Beefeater Martini. I’ve been doing nothing but Bombay lately and I must say that Beefeater is indeed smoother.

24 Likes

The comps of helping a fishing guide , hunter , outdoorsman who helped me . Oh , here’s some yellow tail and blue fin tuna we got 200 miles off the Santa Barbara coast . You want some white tail deer , the top sirloin roast , sirloin tips , loin , and sausage. Perfectly wrapped from the freezer. This is out of the world to me . Oh by the way here is some venison spaghetti to take home tonight to reheat. Garlic bread. Extraordinary awesome . The white tail was more mileder than any beef .Cheers.

25 Likes

(Pan)-Asian inspired curry/ragu with diced chicken breast, garlic, ginger, onion, curry powder, cumin, tomato paste and puree, vegetable broth, coconut milk, kimchi, cherry tomatoes served with red rice and finished with cashew nuts, cilantro and lemon zest

14 Likes

:+1:

5 Likes

Mini penne, sauce was Italian sausage, onion, garlic, splash of red wine, fire roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, dried basil. Parm and parsley. Little gem, tango lettuce, tomato, cucumber, red onion salad, balsamic and oo dressing. Toasted garlic butter baguette. Wine.

24 Likes

my favorite way to eat chicken livers
Marc Vetri’s Most Famous Pasta Dish: Rigatoni With Chicken Livers Recipe | iSensenet.net

I love that primo at Osteria.

I don’t like the texture as well - more airy than super crunchy.

That tortillas! A+

1 Like

I organized another Sichuan dinner for a local food group. 'twas good, even tho I completely blanked on ordering their fabulous Chongqing chicken :sob:

21 Likes

Oh… That looks really good!! I never thought about putting chicken livers over pasta. I’ll have to try that.
Thank you for the idea!!

1 Like

When our father passed away, my mother wrote him a letter thanking him for all of the ‘de-luxe’ breakfasts he would make for them on the weekends. I later found that letter among their things when cleaning out their home. While not breakfast, your description and photo of this meal surely is ‘de-luxe’ and the love and care behind it is evident. You are so blessed!

10 Likes

I was thinking of rumaki version, bacon-wrapped chicken livers on a skewer https://www.thespruceeats.com/rumaki-chicken-livers-with-bacon-3050656

1 Like

What a feast! I’m ready for Chinese New Year now.

2 Likes

Thank you! This was probably my best batch of them yet. The key is resting the dough after the first shaping, and then rolling out very thin. They make a substantial, yet delicate puff immediately on hitting the hot pan.

We were so excited to eat them, we forgot about the rice almost until the very end. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

that is so sweet. Yes, I feel very lucky, thank you!

wow, that steak looks really flavorful!