What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

Grammar: D-

6 Likes

Sounds great. May try my hand at them. My son is super passionate about tortillas and likes eating them plain. These might ruin him for store bought.

2 Likes

Is he old enough and motivated enough to (1) assist you in making them and (2) in the future, graduate to making them on his own?

1 Like

My fave! It was a staple of the russian kitchen, and now if I ever see it on a menu I’ll order it. Slightly different beast, but same nostalgia and deliciousness. I’ve not been brave enough to buy and cook my own, as I understand they require some cleaning.

1 Like

This was a favorite of Mr. BR

or http://www.great-chicago-italian-recipes.com/spaghetti_alla_caruso.html

6 Likes

He’s 5 and likes mixing and using a roller but will definitely need assistance!

4 Likes

Mashed Potato Crusted Cod with Roasted Green Beans. Perfect comfort food on this cold, rainy night!

25 Likes

I haven’t made that for years - looks delicious. I always put fresh minced garlic on top of the cod, under the mashed. I think I put Parmesan cheese in the potatoes. Asparagus or green beans, sometimes sautéed spinach, on the side.

2 Likes

Salmon chowder. Caesar salad. Ciabatta rolls.

19 Likes

Pasta with a mix of mushrooms (button, shiitake, oyster, maitake) in a tomato-cream sauce with pancetta

17 Likes

BF made a quick dinner as I had to get back on the clock and work from home - his pork dumplings from the freezer. had them ready - fried/steamed, with lovely dipping sauces, when he cut one open to see if it was done and said “come here and taste this.” Neither of us are squeamish about eating something past the sell-by date, nor even leaving things out occasionally overnight, but there was just something off. Strange, as they were frozen right after he made them, same day he made the last batch that we’d had for dinner. We tasted a couple more to be sure and some of them smelled/tasted fine. But to be safe, we tossed them all. :cry: He resorted to some leftover soup, and i made myself this delicious, fusiony tostada: Kimchi egg & Spam with furikake and chili crisp. Hit the spot, now back to work.

20 Likes

A burger made with leftover chicken spinach meatball mix. Toasted French sandwich roll slathered with a relish I made of feta, tomato, kalamata olives and red onion and mayo thinned with a dab of buttermilk as I had no yogurt and spinach. Homemade fries, seasoned with salt, pepper and parsley. The dregs of a Boulevardier.

23 Likes

I have a lot of recipes lounging around on my laptop, some of which I make on the regular, and others that I can’t quite remember why I saved in the first place. Sometimes I dig one of those out and decide to give it a go. This is steamed fish in egg sauce, which is just what it sounds like. Cod, hard boiled egg, butter, sour cream. It is a weird-ass recipe and I wouldn’t call it good, exactly. But I’m glad I made it, just to see.

13 Likes

Looks comforting. I’m on an antibiotic because of a freakish toe injury and the drug is wreaking havoc on my stomach and my GI system. Could only get down one piece of cheese pizza tonight and that’s all I had to eat the entire day.

6 Likes

So sorry about your toe injury: I prescribe pastina in chicken brodo or plain congee/jook/porridge - either of these comforts a yucky gut or take a good probiotic…

9 Likes

Bistec encebollado with salad and arroz con gandules

22 Likes

Thank you @Bigley9 and @BeefeaterRocks for posting those pasta recipes using chicken livers. Mr Bean and I used to frequent a restaurant that had pasta with chicken livers on the menu. I had it often as I think it was the cheapest thing on the money and we had no money. It was also very good.

5 Likes

@rwcfoodie I have a similar plaque to the one in your avatar pic that’s hung above the sink in my kitchen that my Mom gave me years and years ago. Mom knew me well. :wink:

15 Likes

AND take a good probiotic!

6 Likes

My dad bought me a mug with this on it for a birthday he was alone with me for many years ago…

I was in the post-college phase, and I think he might have been half worried :rofl:

I love the mug and use it very carefully!

2 Likes