What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

That looks so good!

love this.

Tonight’s dinner was chicken livers prepared in the pressure cooker in beef broth. I did thicken the beef broth after cooking and served them over mashed potatoes with peas on the side. The chicken livers were just – OK. It was something I wanted to try, but I won’t repeat. Sunshine & I both agree that we prefer them breaded and fried.

11 Likes

I agree - breaded and fried. Although I have had them sautéed in butter with some onions, served as a filling for an omelette with a brandied mushroom gravy. Never did get the recipe for that…a restaurant meal in the way back machine. I could probably figure it out. I remember a vacation we took through Kentucky and Tennessee - went to a KFC drive through and they had fried chicken livers on the menu. We were in heaven. Have never seen them since…

7 Likes

Breakfast tacos with a crushed up Trader Joe’s hash brown (do they still make these? - checked at a local store and couldn’t find them), eggs, tomatoes, onions, cheddar cheese, avocado, and various bottled salsas, on fresh flour tortillas.

29 Likes

thanks! they’re so satisfying…

oh MY. It does sound really, REALLY GOOD!

Yay - you made the whole package!

1 Like

the fish look succulent!

1 Like

ow!! missed how that happened to you, need to keep scrolling up, but sorry it did! hope you heal fast…

2 Likes

17 Likes

I love chicken liver, but have never encountered them deep fried!

Top 3 preps for me are sautéed with onions (eaten with buttery toast), wrapped in bacon and pan-fried (a treat my dad always made when there weren’t enough for a full meal), and pâté.

6 Likes

Although I like some deep fried foods, my home deep fryer makes such a mess that I rarely use it. I bread and pan fry chicken livers in my large cast iron skillet on one side, flip them and finish in the oven (until 165 degrees F - internal)

This is a picture from a couple of months ago. I did have the heat a little too high when I fried the one side, so I’ll need to watch that next time.

8 Likes

It was and by the looks of how much was made, we’ll be eating it through the rest of the week!

2 Likes

Wish I were there. I really love black cod. One of its other names (butter fish) is most appropriate.

3 Likes

It is indeed buttery!

This is tonight’s monochromatic yet tasty dinner. I has liver with sauteed onions and mushrooms because I am not happy unless I have 12,000 vegetables on my plate :wink: I had intended to use a little garam masala as @Saregama suggested further up thread however the garam masala I have has no scent left whatsoever so I used so.e smoked paprika instead. The side dish was leftover rice pilaf from last Saturday’s take out.

13 Likes

Shortcut chili made with Williams chili seasoning mix and a bottle of beer instead of water. Crispy deep fried battered cheese stuffed jalapeños. Fried flour tortilla chips for me. He’ll make a Frito pie. Probably Tums for dessert.

23 Likes

Tonight’s dinner checked the boxes for both the COTM (Mexican Everyday) and DOTQ tacos - Salmon in Pipian Verde with Sesame. I am totally ok with having had tacos most nights this week! Yay for tacos!

20 Likes

Kung pao chicken over steamed broccoli. Spicy and tasty!

25 Likes