What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

Have you tried roasting them in duck fat? I love potatoes in duck fat.

2 Likes

Basic! Hake prepared like skate, with brown butter and capers. (Over) creamed spinach and mushrooms.

19 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion to use a potato ricer. I tried it on some previously frozen zucchini this morning (always a soggy mess, no matter how hard I wring it before freezing) - worked great! Quick and easy.

5 Likes

Anything roasted in duck fat.

3 Likes

I use that method to dry potatoes out for latkes.

1 Like

Homemade pizza for dinner tonight.

Used half ww (superfine - chapati flour) and half white flour, and the NYT Roberta’s recipe. The dough was very supple as the recipe tends to yield, but the ww affected the outcome vs my last experience.

Either that or no superhot oven and baking steel / pizza stone :joy:

Still, pretty good results. I used the skillet-broiler method with a carbon steel crepe pan as the skillet, and that worked quite well.

Also made an inverted potato pizza, but in retrospect given that I’m not used to the countertop oven, I should probably have gone the regular route. Still, good and different.

Simple homemade tomato sauce, barely cooked, was really good (my mom’s sauce is superb).

Toppings were mushrooms, red onions (both lightly sautéed first), and some chopped ham for dad, and thinly sliced potatoes and onions for the inverted one.

I’ve still got some dough left after making a couple of extra “snacking” pizzas, so maybe I’ll try a focaccia tomorrow.

27 Likes

The photo is droolworthy

5 Likes

Salmon tacos. I lightly marinated some salmon in a mix of olive oil, cumin, oregano and fresh orange, lemon and lime juices. I just barely seared the salmon so that it was very rare - our favorite way to eat it. The tacos were topped with a roasted tomato salsa, leftover Peruvian green sauce, and some crispy salmon skin I was able scrape up off the pan. There was a purple Nappa slaw with pineapple and cilantro on the side.

23 Likes

I made chicken chili tonight, eaten with considerably more tortilla chips :laughing:

28 Likes

Tonight I had stirfried liver with onion, green pepper and tomato seasoned with hot smoked paprika. Served over egg noodles with grana padano.

13 Likes

1/2 recipe of Burmese Goat Curry, rice noodles, white beans with apricot, raisins & curry based on Ravi’s curry apricot lentil soup, roasted tomatoes, and a sliver of panettone for dessert.

10 Likes

I love liver. Never thought to stir-fry it!

2 Likes

Taco night! Finally.
Delightfully set up with accoutrement and some lovely local cranberry beans as frijoles d’olla (but I put them on some of the tacos too! Last of our stash of TX corn tortillas gifted last christmas. Still wonderful flavor if not a little rough-edged from the freezing.

23 Likes

Sometimes you have a garbage day and you decide that dinner is pimiento cheese, olives, and wine.

29 Likes

Your garbage days are far better than my garbage days. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Bacon, kale and bean soup with freshly baked stirato.

21 Likes

a variation on a recipe from Eric Kim’s Korean American cookbook - kimchi braised short ribs pasta. A friend recommended it and we loved it. The kimchi mellows quite a bit in this braise (i did mine in the Instant Pot, but my friend said the original recipe calls for a long, slow braise in a Dutch oven) and if you add a lot of parm regg, you almost lose the tartness, and it ends up tasting almost like a regular Italian tomato-based ragu. None of which to say this is bad, just that I would prefer to keep the Koreanness of it, so next time I’d up the gochugaru and use less parm. Of course it would also go well over rice, but i did love the slippery pappardelle in the sauce. It was delicious and homey on yet another rainy night.

24 Likes

we did beans and greens also yours looks better ! for one it has bacon ! ours is veg.

18 Likes

I love beans and greens this time of year - so comforting!

3 Likes

Asian inspired bowl from Melissa Clark’s Dinner cookbook. Oven roasted Brussels sprouts and shiitake mushrooms, pan-fried tofu, quickly pickled carrots, cilantro, toasted sesame seed and a really nice and “potent” vinaigrette made from oil, rice vinegar, white miso, garlic, lime zest and juice, honey and plenty of ginger (which gave it a nice kick). Served over quinoa.

20 Likes