What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

I should tackle my freezer, too.

Add me to that list, as well. I found an older pack of hamburger in the bottom of my freezer, going to use it up tonight.

3 Likes

I’m not sure a separate thread for ‘freezer meals’ is necessary. Whether your dinner comes from the freezer, fridge, or pantry – it’s all food :wink:

3 Likes

Felt like a big salad: Aldi gem lettuces, cukes, radishes, celery, sugar bomb cherry materz, blue cheese, bacon, HBE with creamy herb dressing.

But woman cannot live on salad alone, so we also made panini: Wegmans rosemary ham, havarti, roasted red peppers. NOM.

20 Likes
7 Likes

I was thinking the same. When you pull it out of the freezer, it isn’t cooking, if you’ve cooked it before. It’s warming, right? But if you’re pulling out building blocks like veg or protein, well now you’re cooking, but then it’s just WFD. Maybe I’m missing something.

Soup and Indian-style sandwiches (soft, yeasty, thinly-sliced fresh “sandwich bread” generously buttered) with distinctly non-Indian fillings for dinner tonight.

Fillings were an assortment of paper-thin Porchetta (from my brother’s favorite butcher), smoked salmon (TJ’s Oak-Smoked, which is lovely and also perfectly portioned as 3oz), Beecher’s Flagship Cheddar, and Tallegio from Zabar’s.

The soup turned out very well: a mixed-vegetable puree finished with milk for a creamy but light outcome. Vegetables used tonight were bottle gourd (green squash), carrots, and tomato. Enough vegetable content for Dad to skip the side of vegetables I otherwise insist on.

Forgot pics bec Dad was hungry for a change, and everyone else is zonked out on allergy and cold meds courtesy a change of weather, so I assembled the meal while they napped.

(Lunch was a full Indian spread that I also didn’t take a pic of yet again: baby potatoes made in a dry pickle style I love, a Bengali-style mixed vegetable with red pumpkin, spinach, and assorted other things cooked in mustard oil, yellow moong dal, chapatis, rice, jaggery, garlic pickle, and buttermilk.)

13 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

This is true but often my freezer is a mishmash of bits and pieces that may not, on their own, constitute a full meal.

I kind of thought of the freezer thread as a way of being accountable to actually using freezer items. Or for looking for ideas on how to use something up before it becomes WFD. But if there is no interest there need not be a specific thread.

3 Likes

I won’t rain on your parade at all, and will probably read the thread with pleasure.

1 Like

Kinda like “Tales From The Crypt”?

Tales From The Freezer … I’m in!

4 Likes

I made cube steak with mushroom gravy (not entirely successful), white rice, baby cauliflower with Meyer lemon oil, and greens with beets, pears, and blue cheese.

15 Likes

Since I didn’t have to cook tonight I whipped up a quick first course of torn burrata with basil / za’atar olive oil, aleppo, and lemon zest.

My PIC made this wonderful, definitely repeat-worthy Armenian lamb & bean dish

More of his fabulous pistachio ice cream with toasted pistachios and pistachio paste for dessert later. Much, much later 🥴

21 Likes

Shrimp & lobster Newburg, with mash.

21 Likes

Dinner tonight was Malvani Fish Curry, which falls under the purview of our Cuisine of the Quarter, Maharashtrian. So I wrote up the details of its making as part of that thread.
This was wonderful and warming, well spiced but not hot. We had it with rice and a cucumber and radish salad.

18 Likes

My first ‘from the depths of the freezer’ meal was a modified Singapore style mai fun made with: 5 large frozen shrimp, 1/4 frozen cooked chicken breast, about a quart of frozen vegetable stock, a handful of frozen snow peas and assorted fresh ingredients on hand. Bit by bit, I’ll get it cleared out in time for restocking with summer produce. No picture. It was good, very good.

15 Likes

Roasted Hungarian sausages. Potato gratin. Some fresh-picked broccolini from our winter garden.

21 Likes

I can never seem to keep up with WFD, but here’s tonight.

Serious Eats easy roasted chicken breast with rosemary, shallot, and lemon sauce, garlicky greens (thank you @tzigane, for inspiration), and Food and Wine for the recipe . I used kale and added beet greens at the end. Also pigeon peas and rice.

24 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a “throw together” meal. I had a pound of ground beef (that had been in the freezer long enough) and needed to be used. So, I browned it with some onions, mixed it with mashed potatoes and topped it with some gravy and chopped broccoli. Not my best dish, but it was a hot meal. None the less, Sunshine and I enjoyed it and are content for the evening.

16 Likes

Parsnips roasted in some chicken fat… struggling to think things I enjoy more than that.

8 Likes