What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

I’m with you! There are a couple of us on the Weekly Menu Planning thread working towards that same end.

4 Likes

Thank you so much! I have never had creamed spinach that I liked but this looks so delicious. The tip about halving the recipe is great, since there are only two of us. When I have to squeeze liquid from thawed, frozen chopped spinach I put it in my potato ricer. Makes quick work of it.

5 Likes

With one week left of winter break, the kid asked for char sui, and since I had no pork tenderloin that I usually use, I used a pork butt hanging in the freezer that was waiting (and waiting) for a nice day to get smoked. :slight_smile: Served with white rice and kimchi cukes. Reminded myself why I’m not a fan of fatty meats. All that chewy fatty fatness. No. I don’t know how all you pork belly eaters do it.

19 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was Coconut Curry Lime Lamb meatballs over sweet potatoes topped with peas.

9 Likes

omg i LURVE that chew fatty fattiness! especially paired with those nice, crisp, fresh kimchi cukes.

3 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was the last of the chicken wings from the freezer, the last of the Asian blend veggies from the freezer and rice pilaf.

12 Likes

I soooo don’t LURVE it :slight_smile: I need my fat incorporated or crispy. But. I’m glad you do and it brings you happiness :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I had a switch flip at some point from your stance to enjoying the fat, but I can understand how you feel about it.

Chat siu looks good!

2 Likes

Try the chipotle another time - gives the tinga a lovely flavor. (I use one chile out of a can and freeze the rest flat.)

2 Likes

Sesame & ginger meatballs with baby bok choy and red rice - Simple one pan dinner made in the oven. First roast the meatballs (beef, scallions, chili, ginger, sesame seeds, garlic) then add baby choy for some minutes. Once it’s done mix with cooked red rice and dressing (sesame oil, ginger, garlic, chili, scallions, lime zest and juice)

17 Likes

i love it both ways! :pig: :pig2: :pig_nose: and yep, i truly brings me happiness. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

It would have to be a flip, since I don’t enjoy the taste or texture. But it’s not like I need the extra calories! Different strokes for different folks. I’m very glad to have found the char sui recipe using tenderloin.

Now, that is a proper sandwich.

10 Likes

I didn’t enjoy pork much before that switch flipped for me. Tenderloin is not my thing.

2 Likes

Potatoes Stewed with Kalamata Olives from The Greek Vegetarian by Diane Kochilas.

I’ve made this several times before. It’s simple - just potatoes, garlic, Kalamata olives, tomatoes and dried oregano. Plus, of course, olive oil.

Plus a simple spinach and carrot salad with vinaigrette.

No points for guessing I’m not on a low-carb diet!

23 Likes

We adults used chipotle hot sauce on ours :blush:

2 Likes

Link please!

1 Like

Nice! I love the texture of stewed taters.

2 Likes

My plan is to work on cleaning out my freezer as well. My plan is to make at least 2 freezer meals a week. Is there a thread specifically for freezer meals?

1 Like

Maybe someone can start one or a new one for this year!