What's For Dinner #89 - the Dawn of a New Year Edition - January 2023

I never did the roll thing. But the pizzas, those were a work of (cheap) art :slight_smile:

1 Like

still less than a buck fifty!

5 Likes

Yay that child is finding his likes and his appetite! What’s tinga? I’ve seen chicken and pork. Is it basically a braised and shredded meat prep for a taco?

1 Like

I currently have food in the kitchen, natch, but also in a pantry behind the kitchen. I have a downstairs utility room with a fridge, and freezer, and some pantry shelves in it. We keep all of our chips, because the bags are so big, in the largest suitcase in my husband’s closet. Yep. Also, I started keeping potatoes, onions, and winter squash in a drawer in my carport (got burned last month when we had several really cold days and then warmed and all that produce burst and deflated). So I feel you on the too much food out of every corner. My husband occasionally reminds me that we have too much food. Although I don’t hear him complaining when he’s hungry and there’s always something to grab!

3 Likes

We’ve got those by the freezerful in Asheville!

1 Like

Yep. I guess technically it has chipotle in traditional versions. I skipped it. Super easy to make in the IP.

1 Like

Exactly this. Mine knows better than to criticize but he does sigh heavily sometimes when condiments leap from the fridge or he’s putting away pantry items.

5 Likes

Tonight we had ATK’s vermouth-braised [turkey] and potatoes with fennel. It was good! I used a bone-in, skin-on turkey leg and wing, which I later removed and shredded the meat. I added shallot, onion, Herbes d’Provence, bay leaves, and chicken broth and Better than Bullion. Served over homemade egg spaghetti with garlic spinach and green salad with @lindawhit 's maple balsamic dressing.

18 Likes

That’s cool that you cooked with vermouth @ChristinaM . Where else could you deploy that? Like with steak?

2 Likes

I use it to deglaze pans, pretty much anywhere I would use white wine, of which I rarely have leftovers for cooking :laughing:.

9 Likes

folks always have leftovers of vermouth!

1 Like

[quote="ChristinaM, post:212, topic:32786, full:
[/quote]Deleted

1 Like

I made a lower sodium half recipe of this tonight. We liked it! I used chili crisp instead of sriracha in the peanut sauce. I used Thai jasmine rice instead of basmati.

18 Likes

Swore I’d cook more adventurously now that mom’s away. But what did I make myself?

Roast chicken on a bed of carrots and parsnips. Sigh.

19 Likes

Thanks for the link. I’ll be trying this!

2 Likes

Freezer clean-out: holiday leftovers. Grilled tri-tip, spinach gratin, mac-and-cheese.

20 Likes

That whole plate is awesome. Those are leftovers to die for! Can you share how do you make spinach gratin?

2 Likes

Thank you! It was very tasty! :yum:

The spinach gratin is an Ina Garten recipe, and a go-to favorite. I usually make a half recipe in an 8x8" baking dish, which is more than plenty for the two of us.

Unsolicited tip: leftover gratin, while great as is, makes a very good filling for quiche (about 2/3 c. gratin to 4 eggs with 1 c. cream and an additional 1/3 c. gruyere mixed in), as well as straight as a filling for hand-pies (about 2 T. gratin per 5" pie).

9 Likes

As promised, my pork/provolone/broccoli rabe sandwich, one for bfast, one for dinner. Can’t get enough. BF made himself soup with leftover beans and pork. None of it was pretty, but all delicious.

25 Likes

One of my plans (not a resolution) this year is to CLEAN OUT and use up the items in that upright freezer in the garage and to use up the plethora of stocks in there!

7 Likes