What's For Dinner #88 - The Mad Rush Edition - December 2022

I don’t have an air fryer (no room) but holy potato balls! It would be worth it JUST for those crispy potato puffs!

1 Like

Do you have an oven with a convection feature? Will that produce the same results? Air fryers use similar technology, just differ in size.

1 Like

Those were quartered russets, I just carved them a bit to round the edges. So delicious, very crispy exterior and creamy insides.

4 Likes

It is an ugly appliance but so great for quick and hot cooking, worth the counter space.

1 Like

@LindaWhit if you (or anyone else) is tempted, there is a new NYT Wirecutter air fryer rec just out last week: the Philips HD9741/96. Overall, they think air fryer toaster ovens are more versatile but for a small device for cooking for one, that’s what they go with. Not cheap though.

2 Likes

I made seared sesame-crusted tuna donburi with a side of steamed edamame.

22 Likes

Went out to a new ramen place in town with a friend tonight (perfect weather for it! :cold_face:)

We each got a combo with 3 pan-fried pork dumplings & one tempura shrimp, and each of us tried a different ramen - the OG tonkotsu ramen w/pork belly, the beef ramen, and the spicy tantan with ground beef.

I liked the tantan the best, and that house-made chili oil makes it even more delicious. Nice kick & very flavorful. The owner is super-friendly, came out to chat with us & offered us smacked cucumber salad, vegetable spring rolls & pork bao on the house.

21 Likes

YUM, that looks so good!!!

1 Like

Cabbage and carrot stirfry with ground chicken over rice.

15 Likes

Beef and poblano mole-ish enchiladas, grated cheddar and sour cream. Rice, avocado and radishes. Sangria.

18 Likes

Behold, the greatest tomato sauce I’ve ever had. We both had a craving for Chicken Parm and BF wanted to make the sauce using what we had on hand (I made the chicken-- big deal, right? LOL). It is a non-traditional recipe: he cooked bacon in olive oil and added garlic and a TON of crushed red pepper. It was then removed and chopped finely while a diced onion cooked in the grease/oil. Everything added back in with a can of crushed tomatoes. A little salt and pepper and it was done. No oregano! I never thought bacon would make a red sauce but this is incredible. Very spicy! Would make a great Arrabiata.

No pics of the Parm. We all know what that looks like.

Bombay Martini to drink.

22 Likes

Hunan-inspired soup noodles with rice noodles, chicken broth, ground pork, ginger, bamboo shoots, scallions, cilantro, szechuan peppercorn, Shaoxing rice wine, soy sauce, roasted chili oil and Chinkiang vinegar

14 Likes

Gyoza and tonkatsu ramen - two of my favourite things! Your dinner looks delicious and meeting the owner was an extra bonus. Glad to hear you enjoyed your dinner.

2 Likes

Yes I have the Breville Smart Pro Convection Oven, so that’s what I use. But it rarely gets as lovely crispy as those taters got!

I made a variation on this brothy soup with sausage, kale, and butternut squash. I used TJ’s soy chorizo, added diced peeled potatoes, a pinch of cumin and New Mexico ground chili, Goya sazón, and used only cilantro and parsley for the herbs. I served it with grated Manchego on top and a side of buttered homemade country white bread. Really good.

23 Likes

Inspired by @ChristinaM a pulled pork sandwich on a lightly crusty roll with a bit of Valentina black. So good!! I spent the afternoon oven-braising a lotta pasture-raised heritage pork from the nearby farm, some plain and most as carnitas. By the time I had done appropriate quality control I didn’t want much for dinner. A salad would have been good if there was someone else to make it. :joy:

23 Likes

Annnnnd this is when Raisin Bran Crunch comes into play in my house. Such as last night. :wink:

4 Likes

Tsardusted boneless pork chop seared in butter and olive oil, then a 1/2 cup of pork stock added and reduced while chop finished cooking. Added a Tbsp of heavy cream after the chop was pulled to “sauce it up”.

Slices served on ginger-maple sweet potatoes with green beans alongside.

It’s Tuesday.
But there was wine.
These next two weeks are going to be taxing.
Fortification was needed.
:rofl:

23 Likes

Chicken cordon bleu (with prosciutto and gruyere as the filling) covered with a dijon cream sauce.

22 Likes

Squid with fermented black beans and chiles. I may have added some mixed fresh chile peppers in place of the snow peas in the recipe!

23 Likes